Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeusXI

Wifi from house, to pullbarn

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I am trying to get wifi signal from our house, to the pullbarn. the bard I would have to say...it maybe 100 feet from the router? maybe a little less. What type of device would I need to get in order to project a wireless signal, from the house to the barn, and be able to watch netflix and foot ball?

Would something along the lines of a wifi extender be in tow?

There are a few options.  A repeater, or mesh setup might work, if it's sufficiently powerful, but that might be too far still.  It would be more likely to work than a single powerful base station in the house though, which I guess is another potential option.

I suspect the best case would be to run an ethernet cable and setup a separate access point where you want the signal to be, but I'm not sure if this is something you can easily do, as it may involve quite a lot of digging and other hassle.  Using something like the super long distance wifi LTT has shown off before, you could also beam it over wirelessly, but that might be rather expensive.  I don't recall exactly what those units cost but I have a feeling it was a fair bit.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

29 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There are a few options.  A repeater, or mesh setup might work, if it's sufficiently powerful, but that might be too far still.  It would be more likely to work than a single powerful base station in the house though, which I guess is another potential option.

I suspect the best case would be to run an ethernet cable and setup a separate access point where you want the signal to be, but I'm not sure if this is something you can easily do, as it may involve quite a lot of digging and other hassle.  Using something like the super long distance wifi LTT has shown off before, you could also beam it over wirelessly, but that might be rather expensive.  I don't recall exactly what those units cost but I have a feeling it was a fair bit.

I think the units them self to beam the wifi that far are not actually that badly price

CPU - R9 3900X | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X73 360MM | Motherboard -  ASRock x570 Steel Legend | RAM -G.SKILL Trident Z (4x16GB) 3600Mhz CL16 | Graphics Card - MSI 1660 Armour OC 6GB (Sold my 2080 super so i can go 3000 series)  | Power Supply - Cooler Master V-series 1200 Platinum | Storage - 

500GB Evo 970 plus NVME - OS Drive | Aorus Gen4 AIC Adaptor 2x A2000 1TB Raid 0 - Steam Games Drive3 x 2TB WD Black HDD Raid 0 - Program Drives/Games Over Flow Drive 2x 4TB Segate HDD Raid 0 - Plex Drive Case - 

Phantek Enthoo Pro | Fans - CRYORIG QF120 Performance PWM Fan 120mm, 600-2200RPM x 7

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Network - Asus 5300AC -----> TP-Link TL-SG1024 24-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch -----> Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-LITE Dual-band AC1200 x3 | Slowly working to 10Gbps but this set up now happily takes my 1Gbps connection :P 

Just now, Escapenz said:

I think the units them self to beam the wifi that far are not actually that badly price

Would you be able to post some of the devices you are referring to please?

6 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Would you be able to post some of the devices you are referring to please?

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-wifi-basestation-xg/

i think this is what he used but what @Electronics Wizardy has shown will also do

CPU - R9 3900X | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X73 360MM | Motherboard -  ASRock x570 Steel Legend | RAM -G.SKILL Trident Z (4x16GB) 3600Mhz CL16 | Graphics Card - MSI 1660 Armour OC 6GB (Sold my 2080 super so i can go 3000 series)  | Power Supply - Cooler Master V-series 1200 Platinum | Storage - 

500GB Evo 970 plus NVME - OS Drive | Aorus Gen4 AIC Adaptor 2x A2000 1TB Raid 0 - Steam Games Drive3 x 2TB WD Black HDD Raid 0 - Program Drives/Games Over Flow Drive 2x 4TB Segate HDD Raid 0 - Plex Drive Case - 

Phantek Enthoo Pro | Fans - CRYORIG QF120 Performance PWM Fan 120mm, 600-2200RPM x 7

Network - Asus 5300AC -----> TP-Link TL-SG1024 24-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch -----> Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-LITE Dual-band AC1200 x3 | Slowly working to 10Gbps but this set up now happily takes my 1Gbps connection :P 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

thats a normal ish wifi acces point, kinda directional. Not a point to bridge. Not made for this use. If yo uwant high end go air fiber from ubiquiti

was more another option if he just wanted to set up a single unit or something. From linus video it seems like its good good enough speeds and distance for his needs as a long range AP.

5 minutes ago, Escapenz said:

was more another option if he just wanted to set up a single unit or something. From linus video it seems like its good good enough speeds and distance for his needs as a long range AP.

BUt if you want a unifi ap for that, don't get that, its liket 1500 bucks nad has 3 5g channels only. Get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-M-US-Unifi-Access-Point/dp/B01N9FIELY

@ZeusXI

For about $50 (and some more for extra ethernet cable), you can mount this outside of your house pointing in the direction of the barn. Of course, it is limited to 300Mbps on 5GHz. Configure it in access point mode and wire it to your primary router. I've never used this device myself, but it has good reviews on Amazon and it should work on its own as a single device if all you want is something simple for streaming traffic.

The other option is to get a wireless point-to-point bridge (as suggested by using a pair of LocoM2) where you'd need to mount each unit pointing in the direction of each other to just establish the wireless PtP link then wire each end to their relevant switch/router/AP for client WiFi access. These units themselves are just designed to get a good link from point A to B; you're still required to sort out what happens at point A (hopefully, connect to your primary LAN) and point B (set up another LAN or extension). The TP-Link device mentioned earlier can also be used to create such a setup if you purchase a pair, but that increases the cost.

15 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

So I am trying to get wifi signal from our house, to the pullbarn. the bard I would have to say...it maybe 100 feet from the router? maybe a little less. What type of device would I need to get in order to project a wireless signal, from the house to the barn, and be able to watch netflix and foot ball?

What nobody has asked yet... How many walls do you have between the home router and barn computer? What are they made of? Brick? Wood? 

18 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

What is your budget and what country are your shopping from, you may also want to consider an over-the-air TV antenna to watch content on a TV without any subscriptions? High quality video streaming over long-distance WIFI may be a challenge, what resolution (ex. 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p HD, 1080P HD, 4K UHD) do you want to watch at?

I have used the following OTA antenna setups with good signal and picture quality, although it depends on your area along with other factors, and outdoor antenna is preferably:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-UltraPro-Hover-Indoor-Antenna-Bar-Signal-Booster-55-Mile-Range-37075/177934738wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227081533421&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=195008554251&wl4=pla311676591584&wl5=9009996&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=177934738&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItLmnuJmR6wIVyp-zCh3b1wiREAQYAiABEgJETvD_BwE - Currently in use on my downstairs living-room TV.

Currently in use for the upstair bedroom TV(s):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Indoor-Easy-Adjust-Antenna/867389914?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227351813591&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=440685990141&wl4=pla915044236033&wl5=9009996&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=867389914&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMmciJqR6wIVFeDICh0NOApTEAQYBCABEgJDW_D_BwE 

with this amplifier also..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Indoor-Antenna-Amplifier-Signal-Booster/861530826 

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

What nobody has asked yet... How many walls do you have between the home router and barn computer? What are they made of? Brick? Wood? 

I have a window right next to an access point panel which looks straight at the barn with nothing in between. The top of the barn has a plastic windowing around it, the rest is metal. But the good news is, the place we want to watch movies at, is at the upper part of the barn,and is able to be seen from the house.

19 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

@ZeusXI

For about $50 (and some more for extra ethernet cable), you can mount this

I shall take a look at that link, and see what I can look into with that.

15 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

I have a window right next to an access point panel which looks straight at the barn with nothing in between. The top of the barn has a plastic windowing around it, the rest is metal. But the good news is, the place we want to watch movies at, is at the upper part of the barn,and is able to be seen from the house.

Try just a good high power router in the house. 100 feet should be doable for wifi signal to reach the barn.