Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GigabitXe

Connect lav mic to headphones?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently started playing games with some friends and we use voice chat a lot. However, I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, which don't have a mic on them because they are just normal studio headphones. I currently have a normal stage microphone rigged up with a USB XLR interface, but while it sounds great, the whole system is big and bulky and somewhat unsightly. Therefore, I am looking for a new mic solution. I know that the Modmic would be a good solution, but I don't really want to spend that much (I'm just cheap). Then I had the (maybe) brilliant idea of getting a cheap but still good lav mic (like this) and just clipping it to the wire of my headphones. In theory I think this would work great. What do you think?

i5-4430  -  Intel Board  -  16GB G.Skill Sniper  -  Radeon RX570  -  ADATA SP550 & Hitachi Deskstar - EVGA 500W  -  Hyper 212 EVO  -  Logitech Z623

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

wht not just get a cheap usb desk mic? the wire rubbing on your shirt will produce noise and will be annoying to everyone to hear. 

Just now, Saksham said:

wht not just get a cheap usb desk mic? the wire rubbing on your shirt will produce noise and will be annoying to everyone to hear. 

I thought about that, but my desk is quite small and I feel that another thing sitting on it will just make everything too cramped, and I am also trying to get things looking as clean as possible. 

i5-4430  -  Intel Board  -  16GB G.Skill Sniper  -  Radeon RX570  -  ADATA SP550 & Hitachi Deskstar - EVGA 500W  -  Hyper 212 EVO  -  Logitech Z623

4 hours ago, GigabitXe said:

I recently started playing games with some friends and we use voice chat a lot. However, I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, which don't have a mic on them because they are just normal studio headphones. I currently have a normal stage microphone rigged up with a USB XLR interface, but while it sounds great, the whole system is big and bulky and somewhat unsightly. Therefore, I am looking for a new mic solution. I know that the Modmic would be a good solution, but I don't really want to spend that much (I'm just cheap). Then I had the (maybe) brilliant idea of getting a cheap but still good lav mic (like this) and just clipping it to the wire of my headphones. In theory I think this would work great. What do you think?

ive tried this before it works pretty great. ibky issue i had was it would pick up my keyboard but you have rtx voice for that now.

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: msi mag b550 tomahawk RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! dark rock pro 4Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

On 8/9/2020 at 10:27 PM, rice guru said:

ive tried this before it works pretty great. ibky issue i had was it would pick up my keyboard but you have rtx voice for that now.

Yep, just got it in the mail today and it works great.