How much can I OC my 2070 Super

AncientPistol

I have Asus ROG strix 2070 Super advanced GPU with Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. I play at 1440p so most games are GPU bound, so I was wondering if I can overclock my GPU to get a few extra frames out. Running Heaven benchmark for ~20 mins, my GPU clock was stable at 1950-1965MHz and memory clock was a constant 7000MHz. Temp was 66-67C and max it went to 69C.

I have installed MSI afterburner but I have zero experience with overclocking so I haven't messed with anything yet. Can I get some meaningful overclock while keeping everything completely stable? If so, how?

38 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

Can I get some meaningful overclock while keeping everything completely stable? If so, how?

the whole point of OC is to get a higher clock speed while being stable

an instable system is unusable, and not a good OC

first you can tweak the power limit of your card, that will raise the Vcore voltage, and make the VRM on the card run hotter, so do it responsibly, raising power limit allows you to clock higher, but also run hotter and lower the lifespan of the card

then you can also tweak core clocks, i would go up +10 at a time (10, then 20, then 30) and validate each time i add 10 by running unigine heaven for ~5 mins, if it doesnt crash then i move to next clock. if it does crash then i take 2 steps back (-20) and validate the stability for few hours, if crash again i'll -10 until it doesnt crash

memory clock is same as core clock, raise it in small steps (i use +50 and -25 steps for memory)

validate your overclocks and just enjoy your game

do take note that even if it's stable in heaven for few hours, it might not be stable in other games, so if u experience crashing, step both core and mem clock down a step until it doesnt crash anymore.

for my 2070 super, i got +75-ish and +600-700 ish, i actually lowered my power limit to 70%-ish to make the card run cooler, but that's up to you as it actually takes off some performance

you can try starting around +50 on core, and +500 on memory, power limit is up to you

i target to stay below 75c on full load

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

memory clock is same as core clock, raise it in small steps (i use +50 and -25 steps for memory)

Lol in my case i just crack it by 150 every time. So far i got to 601 stable (didnt went pass that)

It really comes down to silicon and cooling.

You can have a very good silicon and be able to hit high clocks or you could have bad silicon and not be able to even do +15 on the core.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

for my 2070 super, i got +75-ish and +600-700 ish, i actually lowered my power limit to 70%-ish to make the card run cooler, but that's up to you as it actually takes off some performance

you can try starting around +50 on core, and +500 on memory, power limit is up to you

i target to stay below 75c on full load

Setting the power limit to a lower number will make your card like run weaker so idk if its really worth it....

You have yo set pl to 70% to make your card run cooler????

What version do you have???

2 hours ago, AncientPistol said:

I have Asus ROG strix 2070 Super advanced GPU with Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. I play at 1440p so most games are GPU bound, so I was wondering if I can overclock my GPU to get a few extra frames out. Running Heaven benchmark for ~20 mins, my GPU clock was stable at 1950-1965MHz and memory clock was a constant 7000MHz. Temp was 66-67C and max it went to 69C.

I have installed MSI afterburner but I have zero experience with overclocking so I haven't messed with anything yet. Can I get some meaningful overclock while keeping everything completely stable? If so, how?

3 fans and giant heat sink version. Nice.

Im pretty sure youll be able to get at least +110 core and +500 for the memory

My card (cant really compare since its a 2080 but still) got +601 memory and +135 core and its really stable for now, and max temp was around 68-69c (with custom fan curve) and its the 2080 aorus with huge heatsink and 3 fans like yours, just defferent brand...

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

1 minute ago, HardStroke said:

Setting the power limit to a lower number will make your card like run weaker so idk if its really worth it....

is totes worth it for my use case, since efficiency matters more to me than raw perf

2 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

You have yo set pl to 70% to make your card run cooler????

the core clock doesnt drop too much, until u go to 69% power limit, that's when the core clock tanks

100 to 70% doesnt really drop much for my particular card, so the perf drop is minimal, but the temp drops is significant

3 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

What version do you have???

Gigabyte Windforce OC 2070super, i hate it, it runs hot

i miss my strix 1070 :c

5 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

+601 memory and +135 core

same die cards generally have around the same headroom, this is about what i got too

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Gigabyte Windforce OC 2070super, i hate it, it runs hot

i miss my strix 1070 :c

Its not normal for a card like this to run hot

Unless you have an insane cpu that this poor 2070 super cant keep up with but im sure its not the case.

Try replacing thermal paste

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

Just now, HardStroke said:

Its not normal for a card like this to run hot

Unless you have an insane cpu that this poor 2070 super cant keep up with but im sure its not the case.

Try replacing thermal paste

im guessing it's normal operating temp, because the heatsink is smaller (and lighter) compared to my strix 1070

while consumes about 40% more power

it's still under warranty anyways so im not cracking it open

also we prob should PM to continue this convo, coz derailing is no good