Nearby Share Dissapeared after like an hour

XG BC

So i have an android phone ( redmi note 7 android 10 ) and an android tablet ( HUAWEI mediapad M3 lite 10 with android 7.1) and i have installed the play services beta today in order to get nearby sharing ( just to try it out how it works and stuff ) and for some reason after like an hour the feature just "dissapeared" on my tablet but not my phone. the shortcut in the notification shade was still there but functionless and there was no mention of it in the google settings page anymore.

I know this is a beta but why do they just remove a perfectly working feature without any note on why and leave remnants of it in the notification shade. If any of you have experienced something similar or have an explenation on why and how to fix this write a reply. Also if im in the wrong subforum please excuse me i didnt know where to post this in and this subforum seemed right

XGBC

I'm afraid that is just one of the many quirks of using any of Google's services.

Like every other Google app, there is something called A/B testing. The functionality of Nearby Sharing is implemented, but Google has to flip a server side switch for you to be able to have access to Nearby Sharing, this selection is random and Google withholds the ability to revoke your access anytime it deems the feature unstable or for any other undisclosed reason. Google and Samsung devices in particular, have this server side switch flipped permanently, since Google has chosen to go with a manufacturer-based staggered release.

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

Thanks for the alternatives i already know these personally i have used ShareMi alot but i just wanted to try googles "airdrop" out. It just annoyed me that they didnt give me like an automated message saying "thank you for testing this feature will come out soon" or something similar. But anyways thanks for the clarification and help! 👍👍👍

6 hours ago, KenTees said:

I'm afraid that is just one of the many quirks of using any of Google's services.

Like every other Google app, there is something called A/B testing. The functionality of Nearby Sharing is implemented, but Google has to flip a server side switch for you to be able to have access to Nearby Sharing, this selection is random and Google withholds the ability to revoke your access anytime it deems the feature unstable or for any other undisclosed reason. Google and Samsung devices in particular, have this server side switch flipped permanently, since Google has chosen to go with a manufacturer-based staggered release.

does that mean that i will never get it since the newer huawei devices dont have google play services anymore that would be a bummer

XG BC

Edited by XG BC
added another question

32 minutes ago, XG BC said:

does that mean that i will never get it since the newer huawei devices dont have google play services anymore that would be a bummer

XG BC

As far as I know, the situation with Huawei right now is that, newer Huawei devices, that have a processor newer than a Kirin 980 can not launch with Google services.

Huawei has previously circumvented the ban before by re-launching devices with Kirin 980s, as Pro variants and was able to keep Google services that way.

So, as far as Google is concerned, your tablet, that was launched in 2017, way before the Huawei ban, is still able to continue using Google services, and as long as there's no software update that takes away the Google Play services, you will continue to be able to use them.

I don't even think Google can revoke your access to their apps, nor would they want to, they're a data company, they want you to use their services.

They're just a bit "bi-polar" with their A/B testing, it'll return soon. Nearby Sharing is set to have a global release in the following weeks.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I've opted into the Google Play services Beta since Nearby Sharing was first spotted in the Beta channel, and the quick setting has yet to appear on my OnePlus 7 Pro.

@KayTees' Little Brother

Spoiler

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, KenTees said:

As far as I know, the situation with Huawei right now is that, newer Huawei devices, that have a processor newer than a Kirin 980 can not launch with Google services.

Huawei has previously circumvented the ban before by re-launching devices with Kirin 980s, as Pro variants and was able to keep Google services that way.

So, as far as Google is concerned, your tablet, that was launched in 2017, way before the Huawei ban, is still able to continue using Google services, and as long as there's no software update that takes away the Google Play services, you will continue to be able to use them.

I don't even think Google can revoke your access to their apps, nor would they want to, they're a data company, they want you to use their services.

They're just a bit "bi-polar" with their A/B testing, it'll return soon. Nearby Sharing is set to have a global release in the following weeks.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I've opted into the Google Play services Beta since Nearby Sharing was first spotted in the Beta channel, and the quick setting has yet to appear on my OnePlus 7 Pro.

i was just concerned because you said the feature would be implemented based on manufacturers and since huawei doesnt use google play services anymore and that they wont even bother to implement it on huawei.

15 minutes ago, XG BC said:

i was just concerned because you said the feature would be implemented based on manufacturers and since huawei doesnt use google play services anymore and that they wont even bother to implement it on huawei.

It's just being launched by a manufacturer by manufacturer basis, but eventually it will be rolled out completely to everyone and everything that runs Google Play services on Android 6.0 and later. As long as your Huawei tablet has Google Play services, you will get Nearby Sharing. If your smart toilet runs Google Play services on Android 6.0, it will have Nearby Sharing.

Google is just doing a manufacturer-based staggered release, because they don't want to release a feature that may or may not work to all 2.5 billion Android devices (maybe less, since Nearby Sharing requires Android 6.0 or later) and that could get Google into some serious PR trouble.

@KayTees' Little Brother

Spoiler

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

that explains everything thanks a lot

XG BC