720p>1080p on a smaller 1440p display?

Aereldor

So I've noticed that when I run into performance issues with my GTX 1060, downscaling all the way to 720p instead of 1080p on my 13" 1440p laptop display tends to look way better, and I've been able to even run Ray Tracing in a few games. I'm guessing this is because 1280x720 is exactly a quarter of 2560x1440, so instead of pixel stretching, it just treats 4 pixels as 1. 

Anyone else favour downscaling to 720p over 1080p on their 1440p displays? What about at larger screen sizes?

Yes, I do it for streaming. With Bicubic filter downscaling from 1440p to 720p gives really nice quality especially with the limited bitrate. 

28 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

So I've noticed that when I run into performance issues with my GTX 1060, downscaling all the way to 720p instead of 1080p on my 13" 1440p laptop display tends to look way better, and I've been able to even run Ray Tracing in a few games. I'm guessing this is because 1280x720 is exactly a quarter of 2560x1440, so instead of pixel stretching, it just treats 4 pixels as 1. 

Anyone else favour downscaling to 720p over 1080p on their 1440p displays? What about at larger screen sizes?

its reverse it treats 1 pixel as 4!

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

49 minutes ago, mahyar said:

its reverse it treats 1 pixel as 4!

That's a matter of perspective ;)

Four physical pixels on your monitor are treated as one logical pixel by the software. So one "game pixel" is rendered as four "monitor pixels".

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply