Anybody else get an obnoxious full screen Edge advert this morning?

Master Disaster

When I shut down last night it installed some updates. I turned on again this morning and as soon as I logged in I'm greeted with a full screen advertisement for "The New Edge Experience", there's no close/exit button, no X in the top corner, Alt & F4 does nothing, in the end I had to kill the process in tasky to get get of it. Then I realise the thing has dropped shortcuts all over my PC, one of the desktop, one in the taskbar, one pinned to the start menu and as soon as I open Firefox I'm told that Firefox is no longer my default browser.

Seriously WTF Microsoft. This is not cool.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Yep, happened to me too. I’m pretty sure it happens every time I do a major windows update (or atleast one that involves a change to edge).

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Same happened here when I updated the only thing it didn't do was change my default browser. Honestly though Microsoft should just admit chrome is better and leave the users alone.

1909 or 2004?

8 hours ago, j.son19 said:

Same happened here when I updated the only thing it didn't do was change my default browser. Honestly though Microsoft should just admit chrome is better and leave the users alone.

Chrome isn't better though, <removed by moderator >, plus google are more evil than microsoft at this point

Also the screen reader on edge is pretty nice, the accents are hilarious.

That being said I mostly use brave.

Edited by LogicalDrm

6 minutes ago, churblesfurbles said:

plus they are more evil than microsoft at this point

Well tbf google as a company may be "evil" I find the user experience better on chrome as it just simply works there are no stupid pop up things every 0.1 seconds and things like that. Yes edge does has some nice features but to me they are no use until they make it a good user experience.

Looks like on windows I am on 1909 with the option to go to 2004

Do you have ads turned off in your windows settings?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

Microsoft Edge is just a re-labeled and ever so slightly re-designed Chrome, but since every OS has its own "themed" browser by default, they'll probably still shove it down the users throats. They'll still have IE11 for compatibility but I immediately disabled that on my laptop and my desktop. What I find to be slightly bad about Edge is the fact that, while under 2004 you can un-install Cortana via PowerShell, you cannot uninstall Microsoft Edge because it's supposedly a system core app.

They run from the same code base, the question is which is more bloated with telemetry bs now.

9 minutes ago, j.son19 said:

Well tbf google as a company may be "evil" I find the user experience better on chrome as it just simply works there are no stupid pop up things every 0.1 seconds and things like that. Yes edge does has some nice features but to me they are no use until they make it a good user experience.

Looks like on windows I am on 1909 with the option to go to 2004

Bing gives more honest search results at this point, google can't even do its primary job right at this point, its not incompetence, they are maliciously hiding search results now, so as evil goes, they are worse.

Maybe I blocked enough stuff with win10privacy to avoid what you are seeing, I don't remember popups.

Just now, churblesfurbles said:

Bing gives more honest search results at this point

I'm not sure what "honest" means. 

Certainly doesn't give you more useful results than Google does. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Haven't gotten it yet also because I haven't been really been doing updates manually on this old a@@ PC I'm on so I don't care about it anymore. My new Notebook is on route and I'm sure I'll get that annoying Pop Up when setting up the Notebook. Already have a USB with Win10 Pro 2004 and a license Key ready to go. Configured it without an OS 'cause my Brother gives me the license keys for free.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's not ads it things like when you are watching youtube and want to go fullscreen you get a popup saying "Youtube.com wants to go into fullscreen do want to allow this?" It is just things like this which make me avoid it because it's like you don't need to ask me to do that I pressed the button to do it. 

31 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's not an "ad" so much as Edge auto-launching and trying to force you to go through their settings to set it up before you can close it. The close buttons don't work etc. until you've made it through the whole "migrate your browser settings to Edge" thing.

The first time it happened to me was when I was on a call with a customer and had to boot up Windows. I can tell you it was beyond frustrating to be stuck on Edge (heh) just trying to get things done in a hurry and basically being locked out of my own computer. Since I was in a hurry the proper solution didn't occur to me at the time: Just open task manager and kill the process.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

It's not an "ad" so much as Edge auto-launching and trying to force you to go through their settings to set it up before you can close it. The close buttons don't work etc. until you've made it through the whole "migrate your browser settings to Edge" thing.

The first time it happened to me was when I was on a call with a customer and had to boot up Windows. I can tell you it was beyond frustrating to be stuck on Edge (heh) just trying to get things done in a hurry and basically being locked out of my own computer. Since I was in a hurry the proper solution didn't occur to me at the time: Just open task manager an kill the process.

Oh you mean that set up thing after each large feature update?

You don't have to agree to migrate your browser settings to edge, its just a few clicks to the end.  The only issue is that it almost looks like your windows got reset by accident the first time you see it.  Have you never seen that dialog box to the end?

Just now, churblesfurbles said:

Oh you mean that set up thing after each large feature update?

You don't have to agree to migrate your browser settings to edge, its just a few clicks to the end.  The only issue is that it almost looks like your windows got reset by accident the first time you see it.  Have you never seen that dialog box to the end?

I'm not talking about the normal Windows "major update" post set up. After that was done, and I was already at the desktop, it auto-launched Edge, showed some kind of wizard and prevented me from closing or minimizing the window with X or Alt+F4 etc.

When you're in a customer call, just booting up Windows to quickly look something up and then get stuck on this "Hey welcome to Edge" thing it's really frustrating. I don't have time for this right now, just go away, let me minimize it and look at it later. And no, I didn't make it to the end, because at some point I figured I could just Ctrl+Shift+Esc and kill the damn thing.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Jokes on you I'm already using Edge. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580