Is it safe to turn on my computer with the secondary HDD disconnected?

Neymus

I want to boot into Windows without my HDD to see how lourd it is, then turn it off, reconnect the HDD and turn it on. Is it dangerous for my files or is it safe?

Disconnecting the hard drive while powered off presents no danger to the data stored on the drive. That's the entire idea behind non-volatile  storage.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

You can't boot to windows without the hdd connected.

If you mean the second drive, yes you can, but turn off the pc first.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

15 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can't boot to windows without the hdd connected.

If you mean the second drive, yes you can, but turn off the pc first.

"secondary HDD" in the topic title.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You don't even need to turn the computer off if you're feeling wild, SATA is capable of hot-plug.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

8 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

You don't even need to turn the computer off if you're feeling wild, SATA is capable of hot-plug.

Very very big Asterisk here. Sata is hot plug capable BUT not every board supports this and it can lead to damage.