Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neymus

Is it safe to turn on my computer with the secondary HDD disconnected?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to boot into Windows without my HDD to see how lourd it is, then turn it off, reconnect the HDD and turn it on. Is it dangerous for my files or is it safe?

Disconnecting the hard drive while powered off presents no danger to the data stored on the drive. That's the entire idea behind non-volatile  storage.

Gaming PC:                                        Streaming PC:

-Ryzen 5 3600x                CPU              -Ryzen 7 2700x  

-2x8GB @ 3200               RAM              -2x8GB @ 3600 

-EVGA 2070 Super             GPU               -GTX 1060 6gb    

-Asus B450M-A MATX        MOBO            -GB B450I MITX                                                     

-CM NR400                   CASE          -Thermaltake Core V1            

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD

Good, Cheep and Easy Cable Management is my fetish.

You can't boot to windows without the hdd connected.

If you mean the second drive, yes you can, but turn off the pc first.

Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

15 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can't boot to windows without the hdd connected.

If you mean the second drive, yes you can, but turn off the pc first.

"secondary HDD" in the topic title.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You don't even need to turn the computer off if you're feeling wild, SATA is capable of hot-plug.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

8 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

You don't even need to turn the computer off if you're feeling wild, SATA is capable of hot-plug.

Very very big Asterisk here. Sata is hot plug capable BUT not every board supports this and it can lead to damage.