Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pixxel

Should I upgrade my cooler?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I finished my first build today complete with an R5 3600 and a 2060 KO. It performs great, but I think that the stock cooler isnt doing a great job of cooling my cpu. I idle at 40-50c and web browse & listen to music around the same temps. When I'm gaming it goes between 70c-85c. I also ran cinnebench and got a max of 93c and an average of 90c over a few runs. 3 of my friends have the same cpu w/ the stock cooler and they've said that they barely peak over 70c while gaming. Idk why my temps are a bit high, my airflow in my case is good, and the cpu fan is maxed usually. Is what I'm getting normal for the stock cooler? I don't mind dropping another $40ish for an aftermarket cooler if I need to, but if I don't have to I shouldn't. Are there ways to fix my temps, and if I have to get an aftermarket cooler, what is a good one? I've been looking at the Hyper 212 Black :3

Thanks to anyone who responds! Stay safe and healthy ❤️ 

what case are you using ?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

I'd first try undervolting, if your motherboard allows it, before running out and spending money on a new cooler.

Go into the BIOS (which should be updated to the latest version) and look for the Vcore/CPU voltage setting, and check whether an "offset mode" is available. If it is, go with a negative voltage offset of around -0.05V to -0.075V, then go back into Windows and run Cinebench to make sure you're not losing performance. You should drop a few degrees by doing this.

If that doesn't work, then at around $40 I'd look for an Arctic Freezer Esports 34. It's quite well regarded and to my knowledge it is better than any Hyper 212 out there.

1 minute ago, pixxel said:

Lian Li Lancool 205

That could also be part of the reason behind this, because that case has a solid front panel that really doesn't allow a whole lot of air through.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F |G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2x16GB, 3200MHz CL14) | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Just now, Mateyyy said:

That could also be part of the reason behind this, because that case has a solid front panel that really doesn't allow a whole lot of air through.

My friends have the NZXT H510 which is even more restrictive, but possibly yes. I don't think I can undervolt, but I have upped both cpu and gpu fan profiles to be a bit more aggressive.

49 minutes ago, pixxel said:

I don't think I can undervolt,

from the bios you can

|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.

Read this: 

Are you sure you sure the stock cooler is on correct? Tight enough ect. So if I remember at the stock coolers, thermal paste applied correct?

2 hours ago, John066 said:

Are you sure you sure the stock cooler is on correct? Tight enough ect. So if I remember at the stock coolers, thermal paste applied correct?

I can see if I can tighten it more, it’s my first time ever installing a cooler, so I wouldn’t be surprised if o did it wrong.