Is samsung ram good?

how do samsung's ram like corsair's ram and kingston's ram?

i don't specify the ram type because i just want to know do their ram suitable for workstation/gaming in general.

What Samsung ram? 

Are you specifically talking about their dram or just a stick that's made by Samsung?

As for a stick made by Samsung. It's the same as any other stick, specs of it is what Matters. 

It may use b die IC's which are known for tight timings and good overclocking headroom. 

But overall, it's the specs of the specific kit that matters. Not the brand. 

1 minute ago, MojaveTM06 said:

They are okay but go with Corsair, HyperX, G.Skill, or Kingston.

What? You do realize there's more to a stick than brand?

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

What Samsung ram? 

Are you specifically talking about their dram or just a stick that's made by Samsung?

As for a stick made by Samsung. It's the same as any other stick, specs of it is what Matters. 

It may use b die IC's which are known for tight timings and good overclocking headroom. 

I understand this, but the brands I mentioned are very reliable brands, but Samsung is not a very reputable brand when it comes to ram. I would personally go with the brands I listed. 

Just now, MojaveTM06 said:

very reliable brands

Brand isn't quality. 

but Samsung is not a very reputable brand

Iirc they produce over 50% of dram. 

And what does that even mean?

1 minute ago, MojaveTM06 said:

would personally go with the brands I listed. 

That is not a good recommendation really. 

Brand isn't an indication of quality. And it never was. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

19 minutes ago, jumbo9i0 said:

how do samsung's ram like corsair's ram and kingston's ram?

i don't specify the ram type because i just want to know do their ram suitable for workstation/gaming in general.

Depends on a lot of things, what CPU?

if Ryzen 3000 you want a 3600mhz kit or a B-die kit

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Brand isn't quality. 

Iirc they produce over 50% of dram. 

And what does that even mean?

That is not a good recommendation really. 

Brand isn't an indication of quality. And it never was. 

But do those companies make quality ram products? Yes. That's why I recommend them. Those brands make ram thats fine tuned for gaming, but as far as I know, Samsung doesnt make ram for gaming 

fine tuned for gaming

That has no meaning and is just marketing for the most part.  

Samsung doesnt make ram for gaming 

What is ram for gaming? Lmao. 

A good stick uses quality IC's. Has decent clock speeds and timings. 

This is all marketing lmao. 

Build Log: 

What Samsung ram? 

if i have to list out  two different ram for comparison, what about this?image.png.8bd420431ae557dbaf5a2a18fd8134f9.png

vs

image.png.6f724830b4524489fb6d77407b579ac5.png

That has no meaning and is just marketing for the most part.  

What is ram for gaming? Lmao. 

A good stick uses quality IC's. Has decent clock speeds and timings. 

This is all marketing lmao. 

And the brands i mentioned make quality sticks.

14 minutes ago, MojaveTM06 said:

I understand this, but the brands I mentioned are very reliable brands, but Samsung is not a very reputable brand when it comes to ram. I would personally go with the brands I listed. 

Samsung makes the actually dram that is used in ram (along with Micron and SKHynex), and from the information I was able to find they manufacturer about 45% of the worlds dram. so I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion that they are not a reputable ram manufacturer. 

Edited by The_russian
Changed which post was quoted to make reply make more sense.

3 minutes ago, jumbo9i0 said:

if i have to list out  two different ram for comparison, what about this?image.png.8bd420431ae557dbaf5a2a18fd8134f9.png

vs

image.png.6f724830b4524489fb6d77407b579ac5.png

Dont get single channel

1 minute ago, jumbo9i0 said:

if i have to list out  two different ram for comparison, what about this?

-snip-

Ah these are two different sticks. 

It depends, if one had better timings and clock speeds then it's better for a casual user. 

Let's say one uses b die and one uses a worse IC, and they have the same timings and frequency. Then the b die kit is better quality, but for a casual user it won't matter unless you're manually overclocking. 

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, jumbo9i0 said:

If you are building a PC what is your budget/country?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 minutes ago, MojaveTM06 said:

you... yo......... you do realize that Samsung is one of the 3 major supplies of memory chips in the entire world right?

You have Samsung, SK Hynix, and Micron who make like 95% of the worlds Memory chips in use.... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 minutes ago, MojaveTM06 said:

Those brands make ram thats fine tuned for gaming, but as far as I know, Samsung doesnt make ram for gaming 

Just marketing bullshit mate. Samsung product a load of ram chips that are on those 'good brands', brand and actual manufacturer are different things. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

28 minutes ago, MojaveTM06 said:

And the brands i mentioned make quality sticks.

oh no no no.... They don't even make their RAM????? They get ICs from Hynix, Samsung, Micron or other manufacturers. Seeing has Samsung BDie is pre crazy to OC as well like where did you draw that conclusion mate? Also, wtf is ram for "gaming" ???????

Samsung , Micron , Hynix, Nanya and other smaller players make the tiny memory chips that are on the memory sticks.

The chips come out at different quality grades and they're binned (sorted by minimum quality) and sold to various manufacturers.

As an example:

If a chip can achieve 3000 Mhz using some standard parameters at a default voltage like 1.2v, it's binned in the 2666 Mhz bucket.

If a chip can achieve 2666 Mhz using some standard parameters at a default voltage like 1.2v, it's binned in the 2400 Mhz bucket.

Everything else, it's put in the 2133 Mhz bucket.

RAM stick manufacturers like Kingston, Corsair etc buy hundreds of thousands of such chips from these various "quality" categories and do an extra binning ... they take each chip and see what's the maximum frequency the chip can handle if the voltage is raised above the standard 1.2v (for example 1.3v or 1.35v) and if those standard parameters are loosened. 

So for example, out of 10.000 chips binned in the 2666 Mhz bucket, let's say:

- 10% can achieve 4200+ Mhz - so they'll be put on sticks that are sold as 3733 Mhz or 4000Mhz sticks (so user can still squeeze an extra tiny overclock and be happy)

- 40% can achieve up to 3800 Mhz - so these go on 3600 Mhz sticks

- 30% can achieve up to 3600-3700 Mhz - so these go on 3200 Mhz sticks

- 20% can only go up to around 3100 Mhz - so these go on 2666 Mhz or 3000 Mhz sticks

The really crappy chips sometimes go on 2400-2666 Mhz ECC server sticks, or those budget cheap 2400-2666 DDR4 sticks, where there's no expectation of overclocking.

A company like Samsung that makes their own sticks as well is not really interested in saving the best chips they make to put on their own sticks, they'll sell those at a higher profit to companies like Corsair, Gskill etc  so just because Samsung makes very good chips for ram, there's no guarantee that the sticks made by Samsung are very good, in fact most often they're not. It's more likely they're use whatever doesn't sell on their memory sticks.

"Gaming" sticks are just marketing... it's just different heatsink or something like that, the computer uses those ram sticks just like any other ram, there's no "optimization" or special something to make such ram sticks better for gaming. 

There's single rank or double rank sticks, single rank sticks can achieve higher frequencies if you overclock and they're more expensive because they typically use bigger capacity chips (ex 2 GB chips x 8 chips = 16 GB single rank stick).

Dual rank sticks can actually be better than single rank sticks in some applications and games, because while one rank on the stick is busy transferring data, the cpu can queue commands or prepare the other rank of chips on the stick to give some other data, instead of waiting until the transfer on the first rank of chips is done, then placing the order for other data and waiting for data to start transferring (there's nanoseconds worth of time saved when retrieving or storing data in ram, sometimes it helps a bit, most time it's too small of a difference to matter)

Majority of sticks on the market above 8 GB will be dual rank (2R) which is fine, the only thing you may want to be aware is that if depending on the motherboard quality if you install four dual rank sticks, the cpu may not be able to communicate with all four at the advertised speed - ex. if you have a cheap motherboard and 4 3600 Mhz sticks, you may have to lower the frequency to 3200 Mhz or sometimes even lower.

47 minutes ago, MojaveTM06 said:

They are okay but go with Corsair, HyperX, G.Skill, or Kingston.

fun fact... none of these companies make dram chips. with saying samsung is unreliable you're saying every single company of these is unreliable because they have multiple kits using their dram chips. some of them have shown some major issues, for example Corsair with vengeance lpx sometimes not meeting xmp speeds, and you call them reliable

to be honest, everything comes out of 4 companies here. SK Hynix, Samsung, Micron and Nanya... and as you guessed, Samsung is even the biggest of them in production

anyways, if you're looking for samsung b die, these are commonly found in 4000+ mhz kits, as well as 3200 cl14 kits. keep in mind that some kits also shift between it and dies like Hynix CJR/DJR/JJR and Micron E-die.

44 minutes ago, MojaveTM06 said:

Samsung is not a very reputable brand when it comes to ram

What makes you say that?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

-= Topic moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just to chime in here about the whole Samsung memory discussion above, there was obviously some poor wording on @MojaveTM06's part, but saying you probably shouldn't go for Samsung branded memory is not bad advice imo, as in actual Samsung memory will likely just be the usual green PCB with no heatspreader and have any possible ICs under the sun on it, since they don't actually bin those memory chips. For all you know, you could get a memory stick that won't go 50MHz above JEDEC 2133MHz.

To my knowledge, they mostly sell memory sticks for the enterprise market, so for servers and such, where speed doesn't matter at all.

On the other hand, "GaMiNg" memory is.. yeah. No.

On topic though, brand doesn't really matter nowadays since, as mentioned several times above, most of those brands don't even actually manufacture the DRAM that sits underneath those heatspreaders. The closest that comes to actually being that way is Crucial, since they're owned by Micron, which is one of the largest DRAM manufacturers in the world, along with Samsung, Hynix, and a few others.

You'll want to go for a "dual-channel" kit, that is to say two memory sticks instead of just one. Running memory in single-channel will impact your CPU's performance quite severely.

Considering DDR4 pricing nowadays, even for a value build, there's no point in going with a 2133/2400MHz kit, when 3000/3200MHz are basically the same price.

3200 CL16 is a good middle ground, as in it's not trash for performance, and it's cheap. This is the case both for Intel and AMD.

3600 CL16 costs slightly more but it's also the best sweet spot for most, especially if you just plan on enabling XMP and forgetting about it (on that note, make sure the memory kit you get is listed on your motherboard's QVL, just so you don't have to do any potential extra tinkering to get XMP to work).

If price isn't an issue, Samsung B-die kits like 3200 CL14 (14-14-14-34) or 3600 CL16 (16-16-16-36) are really solid options for both out of the box performance and overclocking potential.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

3600 CL16 (16-16-16-36)

just a quick note... these are more likely to be Hynix CJR/DJR/JJR or Micron E timings, but indeed do have a chance of samsung b

all do overclock very well, though

• 2 years later...
On 8/7/2020 at 11:30 PM, Haro said:

What Samsung ram? 

Reliability is a major factor between quality RAM and cheap ABC RAM