$1000 to uggrade my PC

well the amount of ram I don't think is important ... the real dilemma is whether intel or ryzen and specifically which board to use for these

24 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Why so much? 2x8 kit @3600mhz, cuz 32 is no improvment for gsming. wait a month for r4, and a little longer for Big navi and Ampere.

The OP wants to run VM's and such. That could eat RAM. Keep in mind you really cant have too much ram. Especially if you use Chrome. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 minutes ago, jgambar said:

well the amount of ram I don't think is important ... the real dilemma is whether intel or ryzen and specifically which board to use for these

Ryzen will hhave more cores/threads and will do great for multitasking and vms.. If you do VMs than stick to more ram. But R4000 is right around the corner, so wait to see intel lose more cpu ground. up to 20% IPC boost, baby!

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't get an AMD card. He wants ray tracing, and frankly their drivers are abysmal.

RDNA 2 will have ray tracing, too.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd say spending more than you need to is dumb; B550 gives you nothing in return for the added cost other than PCIe 4.0, which no one really needs.

Which no one really needs... Today. B550 is an easy assured upgrade path to Zen 3, and a year or two down the line, we might be seeing GPUs that take advantage of PCIe 4.0. B450 will support Zen 3, too, but only with a one-way beta BIOS update. That's not exactly a recommended path; it's just a value add for existing B450 board owners. If this was someone with $200 in their pocket looking for a CPU and board upgrade, or wanting to do a $500 budget build, sure, B450 is the way to go. But, here, the OP has $1000 for upgrades burning a hole in their pocket, so recommending B450 is just stupid. Full stop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

6 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Which no one really needs... Today. B550 is an easy assured upgrade path to Zen 3, and a year or two down the line, we might be seeing GPUs that take advantage of PCIe 4.0. B450 will support Zen 3, too, but only with a one-way beta BIOS update. That's not exactly a recommended path; it's just a value add for existing B450 board owners. If this was someone with $200 in their pocket looking for a CPU and board upgrade, or wanting to do a $500 budget build, sure, B450 is the way to go. But, here, the OP has $1000 for upgrades burning a hole in their pocket, so recommending B450 is just stupid. Full stop.

I think this is the right way especially when I am looking for the best possible gaming performance and thinking about taking advantage of the purchase in the near future and not so much in the immediate future ... the idea is to spend these 1000 on the best CPU, board and cooling. .. and let's assume that I already have an RTX 2070 in my possession for this effect

3 minutes ago, jgambar said:

I think this is the right way especially when I am looking for the best possible gaming performance and thinking about taking advantage of the purchase in the near future and not so much in the immediate future ... the idea is to spend these 1000 on the best CPU, board and cooling. .. and let's assume that I already have an RTX 2070 in my possession for this effect

Well, if you're looking for the "best", that's X570. However, B550 kind of breaks the mold on the "budget" designation. There's B550 boards that are actually better than some X570s. The only real difference is the chipset PCIe lanes, which are 4.0 on X570, but limited to PCIe 3.0 on B550. However, you have 24 PCIe 4.0 CPU lanes to play with on either board, which is plenty for a GPU and a super fast NVMe, if you wanted. The chipset lanes only really start to matter if you're looking for dual GPUs or something, but SLI is dead at this point. Long and short, B550 is more than sufficient, unless you just happen to find a better deal on a decent X570, and then it's just a why not situation.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

7 hours ago, jgambar said:

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and I hope you can help me and advise me .. I want to upgrade my gamer PC which is already obsolete (phenom 2 x4 965BE 16GB) ... currently I only have 1000 dollars to do this renovation, where I just want to change board, CPU and memory.

In the course of 6 months or before I plan to invest another 1000 in the GPU maybe an RTX 2070 or 2080 .. .. but in the meantime my dilemma is that it is the best thing I can buy now (board, CPU and RAM) with these 1000 dollars .. for now I think I can handle the 8GB RX480 that I already have.

I am thinking of a core i7 10700x ($ 400), 32GB ram 2 * 16 3200 ($ 150 approx), this means that I have 450 dollars to invest in board and cooling ... and this is where my big dilemma is .. I am not interested in GRB lighting, I want quality and performance ... what do you recommend ??? Thank you.

we are getting really close to amds and nvidia new releases.

keep saving your money for now.

rtx 2070/s/2080/s/2080 ti are discontinued so getting them for a good price wont be very difficult but i think you should wait. 2000 dollars for a pc upgrade can get you a MAD pc if you just wait 1 or 2 months.

edit: 10700k for 400 dollars? where do you live?

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

9 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Talking in general terms. He may want to save some money to use on a GPU later down the line.

He already has $1,000 for a GPU in the future. So it's pretty clear he's thought about his budget.

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

They have gotten better over the years. You remember when they first bought ATI? GOD DAMN IT. Those drivers sucked bad. 

Yeahhhh kind of. Considering even this year they had drivers so bad that people were selling their 5700's because they simply wouldn't work, I won't suggest them, and they'd need 2 years of solid drivers without issues like that before I'd consider buying one myself. I just don't understand why they haven't put more effort into making solid drivers. Even a decade ago there were memes about their poor drivers.

9 hours ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

RDNA 2 will have ray tracing, too.

Yeah, but we don't know how it'll perform, and it doesn't negate poor drivers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If you're just gaming:

Toss the RX 480 you currently have in there, then wait for Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs to launch and upgrade that then.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

56 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, but we don't know how it'll perform, and it doesn't negate poor drivers.

That doesnt mean to not give it a chance

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

That doesnt mean to not give it a chance

If I'm spending $400 - $600 on something, it sure does.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If I'm spending $400 - $600 on something, it sure does.

Umm.... I ment to see if its any good, not immediately assume that it's bad, even before it comes out.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Umm.... I ment to see if its any good, not immediately assume that it's bad, even before it comes out.

I prefer to spend the money on something that already works and not speculate

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

If you're just gaming:

Toss the RX 480 you currently have in there, then wait for Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs to launch and upgrade that then.

Thanks for the quote ... but I already have the ATX case, the SSD, the power source ... the idea is to spend the 1000 only on the best CPU, memory card and cooling 

1 minute ago, jgambar said:

Thanks for the quote ... but I already have the ATX case, the SSD, the power source ... the idea is to spend the 1000 only on the best CPU, memory card and cooling 

What case, SSD and PSU do you have?

The 10600K offers everything that a 10700K/10900K does at the moment when it comes to gaming.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

the case is a thermaltake ATX I don't remember the reference .. the SSD is a Crucial 500MX-500GB and 2 HHD * 1TB, the power supply is a Thermaltake ToughPower 750W 80 Plus Gold