Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jgambar

$1000 to uggrade my PC

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and I hope you can help me and advise me .. I want to upgrade my gamer PC which is already obsolete (phenom 2 x4 965BE 16GB) ... currently I only have 1000 dollars to do this renovation, where I just want to change board, CPU and memory.

 

In the course of 6 months or before I plan to invest another 1000 in the GPU maybe an RTX 2070 or 2080 .. .. but in the meantime my dilemma is that it is the best thing I can buy now (board, CPU and RAM) with these 1000 dollars .. for now I think I can handle the 8GB RX480 that I already have.

 

I am thinking of a core i7 10700x ($ 400), 32GB ram 2 * 16 3200 ($ 150 approx), this means that I have 450 dollars to invest in board and cooling ... and this is where my big dilemma is .. I am not interested in GRB lighting, I want quality and performance ... what do you recommend ??? Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah nah nah, just buy a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 Tomahawk MAX. $150 for the CPU, $120 for the board, $60 for 8x2 3200mhz Corsair LPX. Keep your money for a GPU later down the line, and also buy a WD Blue 500gb SATA M.2 SSD


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Nah nah nah, just buy a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 Tomahawk MAX. $150 for the CPU, $120 for the board, $60 for 8x2 3200mhz Corsair LPX. Keep your money for a GPU later down the line, and also buy a WD Blue 500gb SATA M.2 SSD

 

This man-bird-thing speaks the truth

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Nah nah nah, just buy a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 Tomahawk MAX. $150 for the CPU, $120 for the board, $60 for 8x2 3200mhz Corsair LPX. Keep your money for a GPU later down the line, and also buy a WD Blue 500gb SATA M.2 SSD

This, way way better value for gaming than the i7

 


PC Rig: GOLDEN HOUR

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 4GHz @ All Cores -- Motherboard: ASUS X470 TUF Plus Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3200 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070

PSU: Seasonic Focus 650W 80 Plus Gold -- Case: Xigmatek Venom

Monitor: Dell P2719H -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Razer Basilisk x Hyperspeed

 

Phone: iPhone XS Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 | i3 1.1GHz (yes, you heard it right, dual-core 1.1GHz base in 2020) | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

Console Corner: PlayStation 4 Pro | LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JugsOfHolyness said:

 

This man-bird-thing speaks the truth

https://cultofthepartyparrot.com/index.html


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JugsOfHolyness said:

Oh laud

i went in and made a program that upscaled all of them to 8k and now i have 49 gigabytes of 8k party parrot gifs ltt forum died when i tried to upload my 340 megabyte profile picture so im just using the 1080p version


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want the best performance for gaming, go with the 10600k. You won't see that much of an increase, if any, by going with the 10700k.

If you want something more on the budget end, the Ryzen 3600 is a good choice, however it does lack performance when compared to the 10600k.

Don't get the 2000 series from Nvidia, their 3000 series is almost here and they'll be significantly better.

 

For cooling I'd personally go with a large air cooler.

 

Welcome to the forum.


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you mainly play Arma 3 don't get an Intel CPU, go AMD. Also for gaming 32GB is unnecessary, unless you also need to run VM's (but then its a workstation rather than just  a gaming PC).

Example PC:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1007.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-07 23:07 EDT-0400

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you want the best performance for gaming, go with the 10600k. You won't see that much of an increase, if any, by going with the 10700k.

If you want something more on the budget end, the Ryzen 3600 is a good choice, however it does lack performance when compared to the 10600k.

Don't get the 2000 series from Nvidia, their 3000 series is almost here and they'll be significantly better.

 

For cooling I'd personally go with a large air cooler.

 

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the advice on the 10600 and the nvidia 3000 series ... I would like to know if you have any advice on the best brand or reference of board and cooling for this 10600 for the $ 450

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jgambar said:

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and I hope you can help me and advise me .. I want to upgrade my gamer PC which is already obsolete (phenom 2 x4 965BE 16GB) ... currently I only have 1000 dollars to do this renovation, where I just want to change board, CPU and memory.

 

In the course of 6 months or before I plan to invest another 1000 in the GPU maybe an RTX 2070 or 2080 .. .. but in the meantime my dilemma is that it is the best thing I can buy now (board, CPU and RAM) with these 1000 dollars .. for now I think I can handle the 8GB RX480 that I already have.

 

I am thinking of a core i7 10700x ($ 400), 32GB ram 2 * 16 3200 ($ 150 approx), this means that I have 450 dollars to invest in board and cooling ... and this is where my big dilemma is .. I am not interested in GRB lighting, I want quality and performance ... what do you recommend ??? Thank you.

I agree with @BlueScope819. B450 boards should be getting the latest Ryzen CPU support when those CPU's are released. That gives you a bit of an upgrade path later. 

 

As far as the rest goes. If you have an SSD's are HDD in your current system I would just reuse. HOWEVER if you DONT have an SSD, make sure you invest in one. Even SATA based SSD's are worlds better than hard drives for the OS. Ram wise 16 Gigs would be great. From what I have seen mATX and full ATX motherboards seem to be priced the best. So I would go with one of those sizes, Plus they would have the greatest chance for upgradability. 

 

GPU wise, as @dizmo pointed out, Nvidia is releasing some new GPU's in the near ish future. So it might be wise to wait. Maybe even use your current GPU for a time. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, RAM555789 said:

Unless you mainly play Arma 3 don't get an Intel CPU, go AMD. Also for gaming 32GB is unnecessary, unless you also need to run VM's (but then its a workstation rather than just  a gaming PC).

Example PC:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1007.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-07 23:07 EDT-0400

Thank you very much for this advice but the truth is I prefer intel for performance, I know that it is more expensive but I am willing to invest in this ..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Unless you mainly play Arma 3 don't get an Intel CPU, go AMD. Also for gaming 32GB is unnecessary, unless you also need to run VM's (but then its a workstation rather than just  a gaming PC).

Example PC:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1007.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-07 23:07 EDT-0400

why are you using a low profile small form factor cooler? what do you have against a arctic freezer 34?


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jgambar said:

Thank you very much for this advice but the truth is I prefer intel for performance, I know that it is more expensive but I am willing to invest in this ..

 

Okay so the definition of an investment is basically in order to put some in now for a return later, right? There just isn't that return later on the Intel side of things. Their LGA 1200 socket is already half dead, they said they would give 1 more generation of support for it but their 10nm production process is so far behind it's likely just gonna be another 14nm CPU so there isn't a proper upgrade path. In the B450 Tomahawk MAXs case it's not only cheaper by about $200 all in all when you count CPU + board + cooler cost differences (which means you can move up in price tier for your GPU, a 10600k + 2060S is much slower than a 3600 + 2070S) you have a better upgrade path, that being Zen 3 or 7nm+


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I agree with @BlueScope819. B450 boards should be getting the latest Ryzen CPU support when those CPU's are released. That gives you a bit of an upgrade path later. 

 

As far as the rest goes. If you have an SSD's are HDD in your current system I would just reuse. HOWEVER if you DONT have an SSD, make sure you invest in one. Even SATA based SSD's are worlds better than hard drives for the OS. Ram wise 16 Gigs would be great. From what I have seen mATX and full ATX motherboards seem to be priced the best. So I would go with one of those sizes, Plus they would have the greatest chance for upgradability. 

 

GPU wise, as @dizmo pointed out, Nvidia is releasing some new GPU's in the near ish future. So it might be wise to wait. Maybe even use your current GPU for a time. 

 

thanks ... if I have an SSD .. and as for the 32GB of ram I want them because I use other software for programming and 3D design such as solidworks and I also use virtual machines

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgambar said:

32GB of ram I want them because

Well I only suggested 16 because that's what I call the bare min for gaming machines now days. You can get by with 8 if you really try, but 16 gives you some breathing room. Hell the more ram the better, Chrome will still eat it all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Nah nah nah, just buy a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 Tomahawk MAX. $150 for the CPU, $120 for the board, $60 for 8x2 3200mhz Corsair LPX. Keep your money for a GPU later down the line, and also buy a WD Blue 500gb SATA M.2 SSD

I agree with the 3600, but with a $1000 budget going B450 is just dumb. At least get a B550, so you can get some modern conveniences like USB 3.2 Gen2. No reason to cheap out on an old chipset.

 

Also go 3600mhz on the RAM, because again, why not? It's only marginally more expensive, if at all, and it's the optimal speed for Zen 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

I agree with the 3600, but with a $1000 budget going B450 is just dumb. At least get a B550, so you can get some modern conveniences like USB 3.2 Gen2. No reason to cheap out on an old chipset.

Is there any difference at the end of the day to the end user between B450 and X570? No one uses PCIe 4.0 outside of workstations which is not the scope of this build. If you want 3.2 gen 2 buy a PCIe card.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Is there any difference at the end of the day to the end user between B450 and X570? No one uses PCIe 4.0 outside of workstations which is not the scope of this build. If you want 3.2 gen 2 buy a PCIe card.

Why? When you can get a board that has it built in. B450 is fine, if you're just looking to save a little cash, but if you have the funds, there's zero reason to choose it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

$1000 budget going B450 is just dumb. At least get a B550

I think many of the Tech Youtubers are in agreement that the B450 board is still the best value, even compared to the B550 board. The only benefit I see of B550 is maybe more CPU's being supported, because I dont see another CPU being supported on the B450 boards after this next one is released. Because AMD only allowed B450 support for these new CPU's due to backlash. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Why? When you can get a board that has it built in. B450 is fine, if you're just looking to save a little cash, but if you have the funds, there's zero reason to choose it.

Having slightly faster USB ports isn't a reason to spend an extra $50. Buy a PCIe card for $10.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Donut417 said:

I think many of the Tech Youtubers are in agreement that the B450 board is still the best value, even compared to the B550 board. The only benefit I see of B550 is maybe more CPU's being supported, because I dont see another CPU being supported on the B450 boards after this next one is released. Because AMD only allowed B450 support for these new CPU's due to backlash. 

Agree. In addition to this Zen 3 is the end of the line for AM4 so it's not like there will be anything beyond Zen 3 anyways so there isn't a difference B450 vs B550


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

ok I thank everyone who talks to me about ryzen but in every analysis I find on the internet ryzen is always down 10fps or more than intel in any game, now I understand that the cost is for these extra psf it is wide .. but hey me Another dilemma arises .. 3700 is not better than 3600 considering that I also want to use it in programming and 3D modeling ... and that is the reason why I think of a 10700 instead of a 10600 and 32GB ram than in 16...

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Unless you mainly play Arma 3 don't get an Intel CPU, go AMD. Also for gaming 32GB is unnecessary, unless you also need to run VM's (but then its a workstation rather than just  a gaming PC).

Example PC:

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1007.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-07 23:07 EDT-0400

Get a dual or tri-fan  5700xt or wait for RDNA2/AMPERE (Nvidia's/AMD's next-gen GPUS)


 

Motherboard Tier LIst

PC Troubleshooting

You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List

 

full disclosure:
I am a big idiot retard

don't take any of my 

advice seriously double

check my opinions and facts

Basically I'm a retard

Don't trust me 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×