$1000 to uggrade my PC

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and I hope you can help me and advise me .. I want to upgrade my gamer PC which is already obsolete (phenom 2 x4 965BE 16GB) ... currently I only have 1000 dollars to do this renovation, where I just want to change board, CPU and memory.

In the course of 6 months or before I plan to invest another 1000 in the GPU maybe an RTX 2070 or 2080 .. .. but in the meantime my dilemma is that it is the best thing I can buy now (board, CPU and RAM) with these 1000 dollars .. for now I think I can handle the 8GB RX480 that I already have.

I am thinking of a core i7 10700x ($ 400), 32GB ram 2 * 16 3200 ($ 150 approx), this means that I have 450 dollars to invest in board and cooling ... and this is where my big dilemma is .. I am not interested in GRB lighting, I want quality and performance ... what do you recommend ??? Thank you.

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Nah nah nah, just buy a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 Tomahawk MAX. $150 for the CPU, $120 for the board, $60 for 8x2 3200mhz Corsair LPX. Keep your money for a GPU later down the line, and also buy a WD Blue 500gb SATA M.2 SSD

This man-bird-thing speaks the truth

Nah nah nah, just buy a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450 Tomahawk MAX. $150 for the CPU, $120 for the board, $60 for 8x2 3200mhz Corsair LPX. Keep your money for a GPU later down the line, and also buy a WD Blue 500gb SATA M.2 SSD

This, way way better value for gaming than the i7

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

If you want the best performance for gaming, go with the 10600k. You won't see that much of an increase, if any, by going with the 10700k.

If you want something more on the budget end, the Ryzen 3600 is a good choice, however it does lack performance when compared to the 10600k.

Don't get the 2000 series from Nvidia, their 3000 series is almost here and they'll be significantly better.

For cooling I'd personally go with a large air cooler.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Unless you mainly play Arma 3 don't get an Intel CPU, go AMD. Also for gaming 32GB is unnecessary, unless you also need to run VM's (but then its a workstation rather than just  a gaming PC).

Example PC:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1007.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-07 23:07 EDT-0400

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you want the best performance for gaming, go with the 10600k. You won't see that much of an increase, if any, by going with the 10700k.

If you want something more on the budget end, the Ryzen 3600 is a good choice, however it does lack performance when compared to the 10600k.

Don't get the 2000 series from Nvidia, their 3000 series is almost here and they'll be significantly better.

For cooling I'd personally go with a large air cooler.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the advice on the 10600 and the nvidia 3000 series ... I would like to know if you have any advice on the best brand or reference of board and cooling for this 10600 for the $ 450

25 minutes ago, jgambar said:

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and I hope you can help me and advise me .. I want to upgrade my gamer PC which is already obsolete (phenom 2 x4 965BE 16GB) ... currently I only have 1000 dollars to do this renovation, where I just want to change board, CPU and memory.

In the course of 6 months or before I plan to invest another 1000 in the GPU maybe an RTX 2070 or 2080 .. .. but in the meantime my dilemma is that it is the best thing I can buy now (board, CPU and RAM) with these 1000 dollars .. for now I think I can handle the 8GB RX480 that I already have.

I am thinking of a core i7 10700x ($ 400), 32GB ram 2 * 16 3200 ($ 150 approx), this means that I have 450 dollars to invest in board and cooling ... and this is where my big dilemma is .. I am not interested in GRB lighting, I want quality and performance ... what do you recommend ??? Thank you.

I agree with @BlueScope819. B450 boards should be getting the latest Ryzen CPU support when those CPU's are released. That gives you a bit of an upgrade path later. 

As far as the rest goes. If you have an SSD's are HDD in your current system I would just reuse. HOWEVER if you DONT have an SSD, make sure you invest in one. Even SATA based SSD's are worlds better than hard drives for the OS. Ram wise 16 Gigs would be great. From what I have seen mATX and full ATX motherboards seem to be priced the best. So I would go with one of those sizes, Plus they would have the greatest chance for upgradability. 

GPU wise, as @dizmo pointed out, Nvidia is releasing some new GPU's in the near ish future. So it might be wise to wait. Maybe even use your current GPU for a time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, RAM555789 said:

Unless you mainly play Arma 3 don't get an Intel CPU, go AMD. Also for gaming 32GB is unnecessary, unless you also need to run VM's (but then its a workstation rather than just  a gaming PC).

Example PC:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 

Thank you very much for this advice but the truth is I prefer intel for performance, I know that it is more expensive but I am willing to invest in this ..

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I agree with @BlueScope819. B450 boards should be getting the latest Ryzen CPU support when those CPU's are released. That gives you a bit of an upgrade path later. 

As far as the rest goes. If you have an SSD's are HDD in your current system I would just reuse. HOWEVER if you DONT have an SSD, make sure you invest in one. Even SATA based SSD's are worlds better than hard drives for the OS. Ram wise 16 Gigs would be great. From what I have seen mATX and full ATX motherboards seem to be priced the best. So I would go with one of those sizes, Plus they would have the greatest chance for upgradability. 

GPU wise, as @dizmo pointed out, Nvidia is releasing some new GPU's in the near ish future. So it might be wise to wait. Maybe even use your current GPU for a time. 

thanks ... if I have an SSD .. and as for the 32GB of ram I want them because I use other software for programming and 3D design such as solidworks and I also use virtual machines

1 minute ago, jgambar said:

32GB of ram I want them because

Well I only suggested 16 because that's what I call the bare min for gaming machines now days. You can get by with 8 if you really try, but 16 gives you some breathing room. Hell the more ram the better, Chrome will still eat it all. 

36 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I agree with the 3600, but with a $1000 budget going B450 is just dumb. At least get a B550, so you can get some modern conveniences like USB 3.2 Gen2. No reason to cheap out on an old chipset.

Also go 3600mhz on the RAM, because again, why not? It's only marginally more expensive, if at all, and it's the optimal speed for Zen 2.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Is there any difference at the end of the day to the end user between B450 and X570? No one uses PCIe 4.0 outside of workstations which is not the scope of this build. If you want 3.2 gen 2 buy a PCIe card.

Why? When you can get a board that has it built in. B450 is fine, if you're just looking to save a little cash, but if you have the funds, there's zero reason to choose it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

$1000 budget going B450 is just dumb. At least get a B550

I think many of the Tech Youtubers are in agreement that the B450 board is still the best value, even compared to the B550 board. The only benefit I see of B550 is maybe more CPU's being supported, because I dont see another CPU being supported on the B450 boards after this next one is released. Because AMD only allowed B450 support for these new CPU's due to backlash. 

ok I thank everyone who talks to me about ryzen but in every analysis I find on the internet ryzen is always down 10fps or more than intel in any game, now I understand that the cost is for these extra psf it is wide .. but hey me Another dilemma arises .. 3700 is not better than 3600 considering that I also want to use it in programming and 3D modeling ... and that is the reason why I think of a 10700 instead of a 10600 and 32GB ram than in 16...

nd of the line for AM4

Well we have had what 4 generations of chips on this same socket. To me that pretty good. 

19 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Example PC:

PCPartPicker Part List

Get a dual or tri-fan  5700xt or wait for RDNA2/AMPERE (Nvidia's/AMD's next-gen GPUS)

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

6 minutes ago, jgambar said:

ok I thank everyone who talks to me about ryzen but in every analysis I find on the internet ryzen is always down 10fps or more than intel in any game, now I understand that the cost is for these extra psf it is wide .. but hey me Another dilemma arises .. 3700 is not better than 3600 considering that I also want to use it in programming and 3D modeling ... and that is the reason why I think of a 10700 instead of a 10600 and 32GB ram than in 16...

That's kind of a fallacy. If you choose the price competitors, and include OC'ing, the FPS gap decreases, while then ryzen model will almost always exceed the Intel one in renders/workstation tasks. being honest what's wrong with the 3700x then? It's around the same price as the 10700k, matches or exceeds the performance in renders/modeling, and comes with a decent CPU cooler- Intel doesn't ship a CPU cooler at all with their K or KF series. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

1 minute ago, jgambar said:

I think Intel still has better single threaded performance compared to AMD. BUT AMD can offer more cores for a cheaper cost. So it all comes down to software.  Plus 10 FPS is not worth the Intel tax, at least in my opinion. The only reason Id buy an Intel chip right now would be solely for Plex media server, mainly for the iGPU. Also, it depends on the games as well, are the games you play CPU bound or GPU bound? What about the software your going to be using? I think 3D modeling can be GPU accelerated, at that point the GPU becomes more important. Programing doesn't require much in terms of resources from what I have read. 

Also you were talking about VM's earlier. AMD offers like I said, More cores for the money. That could very well be nice if your planning on running a few VMs. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think Intel still has better single threaded performance compared to AMD. BUT AMD can offer more cores for a cheaper cost. So it all comes down to software.  Plus 10 FPS is not worth the Intel tax, at least in my opinion. The only reason Id buy an Intel chip right now would be solely for Plex media server, mainly for the iGPU. Also, it depends on the games as well, are the games you play CPU bound or GPU bound? What about the software your going to be using? I think 3D modeling can be GPU accelerated, at that point the GPU becomes more important. Programing doesn't require much in terms of resources from what I have read. 

Also you were talking about VM's earlier. AMD offers like I said, More cores for the money. That could very well be nice if your planning on running a few VMs. 

Well I'm very interested in ray traced games ... and what I have found on the net is that a combination of Intel CPU with RTX is better ... but here I am willing to learn from everyone's knowledge

Just now, jgambar said:

RTX is better .

Never experienced ray tracing. I have owned an Nvidia card since the Geforce 6800 WAYYYYYYYYY back in the day. Mainly because I was poor and AMD/ATI was a cheaper option. LOL. Also to be clear I dont own any high end monitors for me to care about those features. All my screens are 1080p basic IPS panels. Ive never owned any 1440p or 4K panels and Id assume ray tracing probably looks better at those resolutions, or at least on better monitors than what I have. 

10 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Get a dual or tri-fan  5700xt or wait for RDNA2/AMPERE (Nvidia's/AMD's next-gen GPUS)

Thank you very much for taking the time to get this budget ... but things that I already have like the SSD and the vidio card can wait a few months ... I want the new generation 3000 of nvidia, the idea is to get the best CPU, borad ram and cooling for $ 1000

34 minutes ago, jgambar said:

Thanks for the advice on the 10600 and the nvidia 3000 series ... I would like to know if you have any advice on the best brand or reference of board and cooling for this 10600 for the $ 450

For motherboard, I definitely wouldn't go MSI, Asus is usually feature rich but poor in after sale support. AsRock is hit and miss, but Gigabyte has put out some really good boards as of late. I can't recall model numbers, but Hardware Unboxed has really good breakdown videos for the Z490 platform, I'd go check them out. They should have a "best Z490" motherboard video. For cooling I'd go Noctua. Scythe also makes some nice coolers, if you can't stand the Noctua brown.

You mentioned the 10700k in another post, and if you do a lot of core intensive stuff that might be worth the extra money; I don't, so I've never looked into the differences for that kind of work. A lot of people here will try and shove AMD down your throat because its better value, but that doesn't mean it performs better. It performs better per dollar, but if you're looking for utmost performance, Intel may very well be the road to go down. I'd definitely look into it more before taking the forums advice. They've been riding AMDs dick for a while.

29 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Okay so the definition of an investment is basically in order to put some in now for a return later, right? There just isn't that return later on the Intel side of things. Their LGA 1200 socket is already half dead, they said they would give 1 more generation of support for it but their 10nm production process is so far behind it's likely just gonna be another 14nm CPU so there isn't a proper upgrade path. In the B450 Tomahawk MAXs case it's not only cheaper by about $200 all in all when you count CPU + board + cooler cost differences (which means you can move up in price tier for your GPU, a 10600k + 2060S is much slower than a 3600 + 2070S) you have a better upgrade path, that being Zen 3 or 7nm+

Why would he have to downgrade his GPU? The GPU isn't part of the $1,000 budget.

27 minutes ago, jgambar said:

thanks ... if I have an SSD .. and as for the 32GB of ram I want them because I use other software for programming and 3D design such as solidworks and I also use virtual machines

I'd go with 32GB if you have the budget regardless of the other things you do, I don't even do that much on my PC that's intensive and I run into the top end of my 16GB; and that's just a bunch of tabs, some office programs, and a game running.

25 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

I agree with the 3600, but with a $1000 budget going B450 is just dumb. At least get a B550, so you can get some modern conveniences like USB 3.2 Gen2. No reason to cheap out on an old chipset.

Also go 3600mhz on the RAM, because again, why not? It's only marginally more expensive, if at all, and it's the optimal speed for Zen 2.

I'd say spending more than you need to is dumb; B550 gives you nothing in return for the added cost other than PCIe 4.0, which no one really needs.

13 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I wouldn't get an AMD card. He wants ray tracing, and frankly their drivers are abysmal.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

ankly their drivers are abysmal.

They have gotten better over the years. You remember when they first bought ATI? GOD DAMN IT. Those drivers sucked bad. 

1 hour ago, jgambar said:

32GB ram 2 * 16 3200

Why so much? 2x8 kit @3600mhz, cuz 32 is no improvment for gsming. wait a month for r4, and a little longer for Big navi and Ampere.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler