Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MAP_Finder

Old projection TV, worth upgrading?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

So I have a bit of a weird question for everyone here... I have a PC that runs most of the games I play at maximum graphics settings, 1080i (that's what I'm getting to) at 120fps. Now for the games coming out on the next generation consoles I was hoping to upgrade my PC to play AAA titles at the same spec but was wondering instead if I should upgrade my display. Rignt now I have probably one of the worst to ever appear on the forums. A 2004 Mitsubishi 1080 Series, AKA a 50 inch rear projection TV. Apologies for the poor quality photo, my room isn't well light. Now to be clear though, I haven't really had a problem with this TV, it seems fine for playing some games and I don't often play things like fast pace shooters so pixel response time isn't much of a concern (don't mind the fact it doesn't use pixels... 1080i, not 1080p) but I hadn't ever played on anything other then this and an old CRT so I'm definitely no expert. And forgot to mention, it doesn't have an HDMI or display port input (obviously) so I'm using a HDMI to component adapter which funnily enough cost more then I got the TV for. I guess on the upside it sounds better then any integrated monitor speakers, I'm pretty sure if they where hollowed out I could fit inside of thoes speakers.

20200807_201114.jpg

Edited by MAP_Finder
forgot to add detail
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those old-school projection TVs are dope as fuck, especially the 1080i ones, but if you feel the need to go for a new screen, I can't blame you. Those things are fucking HEAVY.


Local dickhead and VHS collector.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 100% (content loudness -0.1dB)

 

 

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, handymanshandle said:

Those old-school projection TVs are dope as fuck, especially the 1080i ones, but if you feel the need to go for a new screen, I can't blame you. Those things are fucking HEAVY.

I suppose weight isn't much of a concern sence I don't plan to ever move it around, but I just feel like I'm missing the "full game" and by that I mean I don't know if I'm getting all that my PC has to offer, it can do more then 1080i if I crank it up but I just don't know if the difference it makes is big enough to consider upgrading

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAP_Finder said:

I suppose weight isn't much of a concern sence I don't plan to ever move it around, but I just feel like I'm missing the "full game" and by that I mean I don't know if I'm getting all that my PC has to offer, it can do more then 1080i if I crank it up but I just don't know if the difference it makes is big enough to consider upgrading

I dunno, if you can max out a game at a display's max resolution, are you really throwing away the power of your desktop? If you're happy with your current TV, there's no real harm in having headroom in current games.

Really, if you're concerned about making your card suffer sing, you'd ideally get a 4K display but that might not be the most efficient use of your desktop. 


Local dickhead and VHS collector.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 100% (content loudness -0.1dB)

 

 

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, handymanshandle said:

I dunno, if you can max out a game at a display's max resolution, are you really throwing away the power of your desktop? If you're happy with your current TV, there's no real harm in having headroom in current games.

Really, if you're concerned about making your card suffer sing, you'd ideally get a 4K display but that might not be the most efficient use of your desktop. 

Hmm 🤔 that's true

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×