Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ELSknutson

Upgrade CPU or Start over?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have an intel i7 5820K that is paired with a GTX Titan X(M)  and I am planning on starting my upgrades. The whole system is  hard line water cooled so changing components is kind of a pain. my question is would it be worth just upgrading my CPU to an something like a 5960X or completely Upgrading my motherboard and CPU to something like a Ryzen 9 3900xt.   The issue I am having is I play WoW and for some reason during raid I see dips in my FPS down into the 40-50's and it sucks.  I have been rocking basically the same hardware for about 4-5 years now and it has suited me very well but I cant stand the dips.   (1440p) 

Posted (edited)

you can get a 5960x which should be an upgrade, though HEDT chips even used tend to for a lot afaik. 

wait for zen 3  ( Q3/Q4 of this year supposedly) and then decide which platform you want to move to. as the 5820k should do the job for now. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

7 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

The issue I am having is I play WoW and for some reason during raid I see dips in my FPS down into the 40-50's and it sucks.

7 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

intel i7 5820K that is paired with a GTX Titan X(M)

Honestly, this doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me. A 5820k should be able to handle WoW with no issues. 

As for 5820k->5960x... I highly doubt WoW's ability to scale to more cores. You might actually get WORSE performance from a 5960x simply due to the frequency drop. 

Gaming PC:                                        Streaming PC:

-Ryzen 5 3600x                CPU              -Ryzen 7 2700x  

-2x8GB @ 3200               RAM              -2x8GB @ 3600 

-EVGA 2070 Super             GPU               -GTX 1060 6gb    

-Asus B450M-A MATX        MOBO            -GB B450I MITX                                                     

-CM NR400                   CASE          -Thermaltake Core V1            

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD

Good, Cheep and Easy Cable Management is my fetish.

5 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

The issue I am having is I play WoW and for some reason during raid I see dips in my FPS down into the 40-50's and it suck

r u sure it's not just the game being badly coded?

imagine a PC of your caliber not being able to run that game well

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

r u sure it's not just the game being badly coded?

imagine a PC of your caliber not being able to run that game well

The game is badly coded but I with what I have I should be getting better FPS I dont know maybe I should see if there is a fix for WoW to make it utilize my hardware better. 

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

The game is badly coded but I with what I have I should be getting better FPS I dont know maybe I should see if there is a fix for WoW to make it utilize my hardware better. 

try having some monitoring softwares open while you play (individual CPU core usage, GPU usage, and disk usage would be what i would look at)

see what's spiking when you see FPS drops

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

6 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

Do what @Moonzy suggested first. It's any easy way to see if you have a bottleneck somewhere 

If that doesn't give you much of anything you can also try uninstalling your GPU drivers with DDU in safemode, then reinstalling.

Gaming PC:                                        Streaming PC:

-Ryzen 5 3600x                CPU              -Ryzen 7 2700x  

-2x8GB @ 3200               RAM              -2x8GB @ 3600 

-EVGA 2070 Super             GPU               -GTX 1060 6gb    

-Asus B450M-A MATX        MOBO            -GB B450I MITX                                                     

-CM NR400                   CASE          -Thermaltake Core V1            

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD

Good, Cheep and Easy Cable Management is my fetish.