Sorry not sure where this went, Roku how is it?

Edward78
MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Rokus are great imo, but if you have a smart TV they don't really make any sense to buy.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Rokus are great imo, but if you have a smart TV they don't really make any sense to buy.

It makes sense if your TV is older and the Smart portion starts removing apps.

Samsung does this.  When a TV is end of life they'll uninstall all the smart apps and you'll be left with nothing.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

It makes sense if your TV is older and the Smart portion starts removing apps.

Samsung does this.  When a TV is end of life they'll uninstall all the smart apps and you'll be left with nothing.

That is dirty. Nope no smart tv here.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

I really like Roku.  I have a few of their Ultra models and they're very snappy.  The apps and interface are quite nice.  Performance will be better than most, if not all, built in smart TV services. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Theyre good, but I prefer Android boxes as they offer more functionality (including mouse and keyboard)

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

I really like my Roku but they seem to constantly get into disputes with content providers.

Twitch has been absent for years at this point after a spat, they pulled all of AT&T’s apps because of a dispute and Fox banned Rokus from streaming the Super Bowl last year until a last minute extension after all of the customer outrage. 

The list goes on, just be mindful that they seem to have far more of this than competitors do.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Roku are ok if you just want entry level "smart tv" for streaming Netflix or Youtube quickly, easily and cheaply if your TV doesn't have any smart tech in it. (and other such channels that may get removed over time, including a few unlisted channels)

I personally find them limiting in the way you get what they offer. No web browser, no keyboard support, no mouse support, etc... (At least, on the low end "express" model I had, dunno about the much more expensive option)

There are "air mouse" that looks like a TV remote with full keyboard on them, which are very nice and useful for such TV devices... not supported by Roku.

I'm personally a bigger fan of a proper HTPC over a "smart" device like Roku. (can just be an old laptop that you don't use anymore.... Or a very long HDMI cable from your PC to the TV). An android box is nice too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I am wanting something that is a good product for $30ish. All the android boxes that are not bad brands are a alot more,

3 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

I am wanting something that is a good product for $30ish. All the android boxes that are not bad brands are a alot more,

Roku will likely be plenty for you. They're good devices, probably the best as far as "TV boxes that don't run Android or are an Apple TV but have more functionality and performance than a smart TV" go.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I've actually got a Roku Express and if you're just looking for a Netflix/YouTube/Spotify box for cheap, it'll 100% satisfy your needs. It taps out at 1080p and can play 1080p60 video from YouTube if that's of any concern for you. It's also relatively snappy.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Keep in mind that the base model Roku device is only compatible with 802.11b/g/n single 2.4GHz band. If you live were there are a lot of wireless devices/connections then you might have connection drop outs due to interference. My mother-in-law had to put hers within ~8ft/2.4m of the AP for it to stop having intermittent disconnections.

8 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Keep in mind that the base model Roku device is only compatible with 802.11b/g/n single 2.4GHz band. If you live were there are a lot of wireless devices/connections then you might have connection drop outs due to interference. My mother-in-law had to put hers within ~8ft/2.4m of the AP for it to stop having intermittent disconnections.

Well no Ethernet kind if sucks.

23 hours ago, Edward78 said:

Thats the low end Roku. My parents have the 4K sticks and they are pretty nice. Roku includes its own channel with loads of older content. My only gripe with the Roku sticks is they lack what ever video format support that OTA TV is in, because any time my parents watch Live TV via Plex it has to transcode the video and sometimes the audio. 

I myself use a second gen Fire Stick. Its only, but kinda slow. But at the end of the day, most of these sticks work the same. The only difference will be app support and generally its a few apps, so you just do the research on what apps you use vs what they support. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

iybds good for a Android box, 

Is it 4K or 6K? The product description is confusing. Which is never a good sign. You cant trust Amazon reviews of products because they pay for reviews or make fake accounts. Personally Id use a more established brand like Roku, Amazon. Nvidia, Apple, etc. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

17 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Is it 4K or 6K? The product description is confusing. Which is never a good sign. You cant trust Amazon reviews of products because they pay for reviews or make fake accounts. Personally Id use a more established brand like Roku, Amazon. Nvidia, Apple, etc. 

I am going off the video, the reviewer thinks it is good. The link below vid., is for the 3GB one. That is more on Amazom. Is this a trustworthy site https://www.banggood.com/Sunvell-T95-Allwinner-H616-4GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-100M-2_4G-WIFI-VP9-4K-HDR-Android-10_0-TV-Box-p-1626282.html?akmClientCountry=America&p=CI260045318195202002&custlixnkid=864740&ID=3426&cur_warehouse=CN I know Amazon is a good sight.

18 hours ago, Edward78 said:

Ehh.. if you can watch a short YouTube video you can make your own Android box for like 50 bucks with a raspberrypi 

10 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Ehh.. if you can watch a short YouTube video you can make your own Android box for like 50 bucks with a raspberrypi 

I have been thinking of that, video link??