Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fatemu

Best Wifi Router

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, 

So my landlord has recently installed plus net WiFi into our house with what he claims to be guaranteed 72mbps, which is far from the truth with some rooms getting 2mbps. So we are looking into upgrading the router from the standard plus net one with budget not being a problem. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

5 minutes ago, Fatemu said:

Hi, 

So my landlord has recently installed plus net WiFi into our house with what he claims to be guaranteed 72mbps, which is far from the truth with some rooms getting 2mbps. So we are looking into upgrading the router from the standard plus net one with budget not being a problem. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

What is the current one?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

What is the current one?

I believe it is the plus net hub one 

11 minutes ago, Fatemu said:

which is far from the truth with some rooms getting 2mbps

What material are the walls made of and how large is the house? Also, where in the apartment is the router located? These all things matter.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, Fatemu said:

plus net hub one 

Can you get us a specific model number?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

What material are the walls made of and how large is the house? Also, where in the apartment is the router located? These all things matter.

The router is upstairs in the middle of the house (which is the only place it can be) and the walls are brick in quite a compact house in london

1 minute ago, Fatemu said:

quite a compact house in london

That doesn't tell me what size it is.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That doesn't tell me what size it is.

Probably about 1100 square feet

2 minutes ago, Fatemu said:

Probably about 1100 square feet

Brick and concrete are both materials that block WiFi-signals rather heavily and with that size house, you may need to go with two routers to get good signal everywhere.

10 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Brick and concrete are both materials that block WiFi-signals rather heavily and with that size house, you may need to go with two routers to get good signal everywhere.

Agreed.

Except, I don’t think you meant to say “two routers”. To clarify, you should only have one router on a simple home network to avoid network conflicts with DHCP/NAT. Any other wireless routers should be converted to wireless access point mode or just get a dedicated wireless access point for the other level.

53 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Except, I don’t think you meant to say “two routers”.

Eh, I'm so used to just using routers for everything that I keep forgetting other people don't know one can use a router as an access-point and/or a switch.

Hello!

Plusnet runs on Openreach equipment. 

You can use any router providing it has a built in VDSL2 modem and supports vlan tagging, or a modem and a separate  router.

I can recommend Ubiquiti's amplifi HD as I personally love it but others have received it less well. (check my profile for a review)

Feel free to @ me or reply to my message and I can help find a setup that works (I'm with BT but because it's openreach it doesn't make any difference)

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks