Is this normal behavior?

itsjeff

So i have my evga ftw3 ultra 2080Ti to under water full custom build.  My temps reaches max 48-49 max 50. But when im playing cod for example in the menu of the game. I see it goes to 1950mhz why im losing 15hz? Its not even reaching the temp for boost clock 51c.

2 minutes ago, itsjeff said:

I see it goes to 1950mhz why im losing 15hz?

Because int he menu of the game, not much is happening, so the GPU slows down a bit to conserve power?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Because int he menu of the game, not much is happening, so the GPU slows down a bit to conserve power?

No because i have my fps set to unlimited in the menu, and i see my gpu power and usage at 99% and gpu power is like 101%. So a lot happening in the menu.

5 minutes ago, itsjeff said:

No because i have my fps set to unlimited in the menu, and i see my gpu power and usage at 99% and gpu power is like 101%. So a lot happening in the menu.

it's possible that the gpu could still reduce it's clocks a bit if it's too easy for it to pump out frames (with low frametimes), even if you set it to unlimited...

You could also just OC it, if you really need more fps.

6 minutes ago, itsjeff said:

It's a menu, I'd be more concerned if it was happening in the gameplay itself.

Honestly, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's a menu, I'd be more concerned if it was happening in the gameplay itself.

Honestly, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

It happens in games of course i reach 51c.

3 minutes ago, itsjeff said:

It happens in games of course i reach 51c.

It could be a case of rounding too. Since it might start to reduce the boost by one step at 50.5c or something silly like that. Either way we are talking 15mhz which isn't even 1%. So you are losing 1 fps. Honestly being a ftw3 I would grab afterburner or precision (probably precision with an evga card) and have it run the auto-overclock and then save the profile. You should be able to get that card to 2050mhz at a min and another 500+ on the memory. So you would gain much more than you are losing for this and the temps of the card probably would stay largely unchanged on water (in my experience).

Try undervolting and/or manually overclocking. From my experience, GPU Boost 4.0 is super temperature sensitive, and just undervolting (without even applying any manual overclocking settings) actually resulted in my GPU running at a higher core clock (like 60+ MHz), just because it's running at a few degrees lower.

I don't really get why it works this way because even at 70C you still have a significant amount of headroom, but I guess that's just the way it is.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

It could be a case of rounding too. Since it might start to reduce the boost by one step at 50.5c or something silly like that. Either way we are talking 15mhz which isn't even 1%. So you are losing 1 fps. Honestly being a ftw3 I would grab afterburner or precision (probably precision with an evga card) and have it run the auto-overclock and then save the profile. You should be able to get that card to 2050mhz at a min and another 500+ on the memory. So you would gain much more than you are losing for this and the temps of the card probably would stay largely unchanged on water (in my experience).

What about the afterburner?

20 minutes ago, itsjeff said:

What about the afterburner?

I mentioned it too. Both it and precision are good options. So just go with the one you prefer. I mean spending the money on an ftw card and not using the free and easy auto OC tools is pretty much wasting some free performance.

The lack of load maybe? Check gpuz and it will tell you the reason. 
Don’t see why it matters as that one step isn’t noticeable. Just like all the other steps you are losing from it running at 50c. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz