Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TechyWinkie

Anyone know a keyboard with tactile/linear switches with a low pitch sound?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

To further elaborate, I want a gaming keyboard, either tactile or linear, that has some sort of low pitch sound when it's pressed down. Not that familiar with keyboard terms, because I'm just putting my peripherals on a wish list and I haven't done enough research. If you have any keyboard type test videos so I can hear the kind of sound I wanna hear, that would be great! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it goes thunk instead of click? Sound is vibration and low vibrations need long bits.  Keys are small. Quiet might be found.  I don’t think physics is your friend on this one though. The best you’re going to get is clack instead  of click I think.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TechyWinkie said:

To further elaborate, I want a gaming keyboard, either tactile or linear, that has some sort of low pitch sound when it's pressed down. Not that familiar with keyboard terms, because I'm just putting my peripherals on a wish list and I haven't done enough research. If you have any keyboard type test videos so I can hear the kind of sound I wanna hear, that would be great! 

Something like this?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So it goes thunk instead of click? Sound is vibration and low vibrations need long bits.  Keys are small. Quiet might be found.  I don’t think physics is your friend on this one though. The best you’re going to get is clack instead  of click I think.

This would result in either brown (tactile) or red (linear). Both of these switch types still have a distinct clack. However, you can dampen the sound by using o rings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, startrek03 said:

This would result in either brown (tactile) or red (linear). Both of these switch types still have a distinct clack. However, you can dampen the sound by using o rings.

There are also silenced switches, like silent reds, and o rings impact just the down stroke, up stroke is not affected and also makes the switches feel mushy. Op might be better off with something like topre, or silent reds maybe, there are other options too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, startrek03 said:

using o rings.

Don't. Just get silenced switches. Orings are so horrible.

 

OP what's the budget like? You say gaming keyboard so I guess you want ARRGEEEBEEEE and horrible gaming font caps?


I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
38 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Don't. Just get silenced switches. Orings are so horrible.

 

OP what's the budget like? You say gaming keyboard so I guess you want ARRGEEEBEEEE and horrible gaming font caps?

Yeah RGB and like idk I can go with any font caps 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, nox_ said:

Something like this?

 

Yes this is exactly the kind of sound I need!! Thanks so much!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TechyWinkie said:

that has some sort of low pitch sound when it's pressed down. Not that familiar with keyboard terms,

The term is thock. Keyboard enthusiasts chase after thock like it's heroin.

 

Good examples: 

You're not likely to find that in a stock off the shelf board. You'd be delving in to the world of modded or even full custom keyboards now. 

 

O-rings and silents switch won't give you thock. They just give you less noise over all. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So people Want keyboard noise but only the exact right kind of keyboard noise.  Argh.  People do what they do I guess.  I was under the assumption the idea was to make a quieter keyboard or reduce the high pitched noise so the lower tones could be filtered out.  I had no idea there was a keyboard noise aficionado thing at all.  I don’t get the concept of wanting a noisy keyboard for anything other than knowing when one has pressed a key.

 

Sounds like they’re trying to imitate bucking spring keyboards. 


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, geo3 said:

The term is thock. Keyboard enthusiasts chase after thock like it's heroine. 

 

Good examples: 

You're not likely to find that in a stock off the shelf board. You'd be delving in to the world of modded or even full custom keyboards now. 

 

O-rings and silents switch won't give you thock. They just give you less noise over all. 

 

 

Thanks! I watch Taeha Types but I'm still a complete normie when it comes to these terms. Thank you for sharing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×