Why is OBS making my game so laggy

Cyphuss

For some reason whenever i record or just open obs without recording it likes to destroy my nice gaming laptop with a good cpu in it the hell? I've recorded before and never had a problem lag free but now its lagging 

1. No its not a memory problem

2. No its not that it gets "laggier" over time as people like to say in my other posts

MSI GF 63 THIN 9SC

GTX 1650 MAX Q

i7 9750H <------- piece of crap cpu that clocks down for no god dam reason when gaming

8gb ram 2667 mhz (ddr3 ddr4 i dont really know does not show

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

More then likely the way it recorded before may have changed or you are just running out of ram. 8 GB really isnt much to begin with. 9750h is DDR4.

"Sigh" I've already said its not a memory problem as i never had this not to long ago probably a few months ago it was recording fine.

1 minute ago, Cyphuss said:

"Sigh" I've already said its not a memory problem as i never had this not to long ago probably a few months ago it was recording fine.

It’s the 8GB of RAM and a mediocre I7. 

Over a few months, new updates for programs have come out which will cause higher ram usage. 

Hell, 8GB is for $300 builds. You can get a 16gb for around $60. 

Just now, Cyphuss said:

Just because you say its not w memory problem doesnt mean its not :P 8 GB is not that much ram, Windows alone can take a few Gigs, the game can take a few Gigs, if you start recording it can take the rest and eventually overflow and cause issues when it runs out. 

Again you have to look through things that may have changed. This type of behavior does not usually just happen without a sudden change in the settings or the program itself, among other potential changes.

1 minute ago, gloop said:

It’s the 8GB of RAM and a mediocre I7. 

Over a few months, new updates for programs have come out which will cause higher ram usage. 

Hell, 8GB is for $300 builds. You can get a 16gb for around $60. 

Why is it "mediocre" 

Just now, Cyphuss said:

Why is it "mediocre" 

12 minutes ago, Cyphuss said:

piece of crap cpu that clocks down

It’s being thermal throttled, which is reducing performance massively. 

Just now, gloop said:

Not really when im playing games stays at 70-80 my room is really cool.

4 minutes ago, gloop said:

in his previous post, it's actually running above base clock, his "clocks down" is his chip not running at turbo speed

which is a single core speed, not all core speed

also, if you wanna record you could use geforce experience instead of obs

and if that's causing issue then it's something else wrong with your machine

like maybe the game isnt running on your dGPU

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

-= Topic moved to Troubleshooting =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@Cyphuss

Open up the resource monitor screen either by simply typing it in the windows taskbar, or through your task manager in the bottom left corner of the screen. Does it show free space ram space you have left being swallowed up by "standby" memory? Preferably, you'll want to keep the standby memory at a minimum with a constant refresh every five minutes or so, much like mines below (I have 32 gbs of ram). 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 hours ago, Cyphuss said:

i7 9750H <------- piece of crap cpu that clocks down for no god dam reason when gaming

It's not a piece of crap CPU. It's actually an extremely good CPU as far as laptops go. It's poor cooling that's causing your CPU to thermal throttle the clocks. And it's for good reason. 

I'm going to ask the obvious question here because I don't see if mentioned in your OP. Have you reinstalled OBS?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 8:53 PM, Skipple said:

It's not a piece of crap CPU. It's actually an extremely good CPU as far as laptops go. It's poor cooling that's causing your CPU to thermal throttle the clocks. And it's for good reason. 

I'm going to ask the obvious question here because I don't see if mentioned in your OP. Have you reinstalled OBS?

So you're telling me that clown msi decided to put 1 fan on a computer to cool a gpu and cpu who has that small of a brain i get it is supposed to be thin but really?

1 hour ago, Cyphuss said:

So you're telling me that clown msi decided to put 1 fan on a computer to cool a gpu and cpu who has that small of a brain i get it is supposed to be thin but really?

Laptops aren't the easiest to keep cool regardless of how many fans its got, and I wouldn't be surprised if its dusty as all hell with it not having a dust filter. I wouldn't be trying to run any demanding application on a laptop that will stress it out and produce heat. And you should still get another 8 gbs of ram like everyone is trying to tell you. If you were just web surfing or using adobe acrobat or Microsoft Office, you would be perfectly fine with 8 gbs of ram, but its really not optimal for applications like OBS Studio.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10