Does AMD Cards Work With G-Sync Monitors?

Hello beautiful people, I have a question i have been trying to figure out for awhile and i feel a lot of people have same question as i do!

The question?:

Can i use my AMD Graphics card with a G-Sync Monitor?

Can I use my NVIDIA Graphics card with a Free-Sync Monitor?

With doing a little bit of research i found some articles about this technology and they are kinda unclear! I was wondering if

people know anything about this or even the name of the technology to look for in the monitor! I notice a lot of the monitors that

have G-Sync Tech inside are usually the better when it comes to response times or refresh rates! This isn't only for me, its for anyone 

who needs the answers!

Also leave some monitors that i can use with my 5700XT that you recommend!

Some articles i read!:

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/adaptive-sync

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gsync-monitor-with-amd-graphics-card-nvidia#:~:text=Naturally%2C a new firmware will,Sync monitor with their setup.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/g-sync-amd-support

https://wccftech.com/amd-graphics-cards-and-consoles-will-work-with-future-g-sync-displays-nvidia-confirms/

Can i use this monitor with a AMD Card??

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-GAMING-VG259QM/overview/

Your AMD card will work with a Gsync monitor. Your Nvidia card will work with a freesync monitor. 

However.....

Variable refresh rates on Gsync monitor will ONLY work on an Nvidia card, while Freesync monitors will work with both AMD and modern Nvidia GPUs (10 series and beyond I believe)

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

16 minutes ago, Trix4lifee said:

Can i use my AMD Graphics card with a G-Sync Monitor?

yes, but it'll only work as a normal monitor (no variable refresh rate)

do take note the difference between G-Sync, and G-sync compatible

the first is using a module that is specifically tailored for Nvidia GPU to utilise G-sync, while the latter is using an open standard, but also works with nvidia card

16 minutes ago, Trix4lifee said:

Can I use my NVIDIA Graphics card with a Free-Sync Monitor?

yes, but variable refresh rate may not work

freesync is an open standard, which there are many kinds of monitor drivers and such.

nvidia gpu only works well with some of them, thus there are "G-sync Compatible" models, which are verified to work with Nvidia GPUs

u may enable G-sync in non G-sync compatible (non-verified) Freesync monitors, but there may be issues like flickering or VRR (variable refresh rate) not working correctly, or other issues

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Depends. If it is gsync compatible then the variable refreshrate should work on an AMD card because it is just freesync that has been validated to work well. As for actually gsync with a physical gsync module in the monitor they are not able to make use of variable refreshrate when paired with an AMD card. If you don't care about variable refreshrate then an AMD card will work just fine on a monitor with a gsync module. 

Also a quick note is that nvidia cards can only do freesync over displayport so if you try running a freesync monitor on a nvidia through HDMI you will be unable to enable variable refreshrate. Some monitors only do freesync over HDMI making them not unable to use variable refreshrate when paired with an nvidia. 

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yes, but it'll only work as a normal monitor (no variable refresh rate)

do take note the difference between G-Sync, and G-sync compatible

the first is using a module that is specifically tailored for Nvidia GPU to utilise G-sync, while the latter is using an open standard, but also works with nvidia card

yes, but variable refresh rate may not work

freesync is an open standard, which there are many kinds of monitor drivers and such.

nvidia gpu only works well with some of them, thus there are "G-sync Compatible" models, which are verified to work with Nvidia GPUs

u may enable G-sync in non G-sync compatible (non-verified) Freesync monitors, but there may be issues like flickering or VRR (variable refresh rate) not working correctly, or other issues

Shoot I forgot the whole deal with Nvidia labeling Freesync as Gsync compatible... 

Yeah whenever you see Gsync it usually refers to a proprietary module made by Nvidia inserted into the monitors.... Gsync COMPATIBLE essentially says that the freesync support on the monitor is soooooo good that the Nvidia overlords deemed it reasonable to bestow the Gsync compatible name. However, any freesync monitor should work reasonably with Nvidia cards.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

4 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

However, any freesync monitor should work reasonably with Nvidia cards.

i've had a monitor that has half a screen as black occasionally when i enable g-sync

and the VRR doesnt even work

so no, there really are monitor that doesnt play well with nvidia cards

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i've had a monitor that has half a screen as black occasionally when i enable g-sync

and the VRR doesnt even work

so no, there really are monitor that doesnt play well with nvidia cards

Interesting. Even with VRR off? Ive heard horror stories with VRR on, but never with it off. What model?

Just now, RyzenDoctor said:

Ive heard horror stories with VRR on, but never with it off. What model?

it works as a normal monitor if i dont turn on g-sync

the XF250Q, it died anyways, probably dead driver as it's been frame skipping and then recently had horizontal lines appearing all over the screen

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it works as a normal monitor if i dont turn on g-sync

the XF250Q, it died anyways, probably dead driver as it's been frame skipping and then recently had horizontal lines appearing all over the screen

That's what I thought. Every reported issue with Freesync monitors occurred when VRR was turned on. I'm not sure what's wrong with Nvidia's implementation but it seems like AMD (and Intel) had that figured out....

2 hours ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Your AMD card will work with a Gsync monitor. Your Nvidia card will work with a freesync monitor. 

However.....

Variable refresh rates on Gsync monitor will ONLY work on an Nvidia card, while Freesync monitors will work with both AMD and modern Nvidia GPUs (10 series and beyond I believe)

So will adaptive sync work perfectly with a AMD card??

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-vg258qr-90lm0453-b013b0-24-5/p/N82E16824236998

10 minutes ago, Trix4lifee said:

So will adaptive sync work perfectly with a AMD card??

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-vg258qr-90lm0453-b013b0-24-5/p/N82E16824236998

given that it says Gsync COMPATIBLE not GSync, then it should work with AMD because in all truthfulness it is just a premium FreeSync (adaptive sync) monitor