Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brikn

Moving to a different country with different power plug

Posted · Original PosterOP

By next year, I will be living in another country (South Korea), and I know that they don't have the same type of power connector that I currently do in the US. Do I need to buy a new power supply that has the proper cable? Or can I buy a new cable that has the proper prongs? Or can I get one of those small adapters that connects to the end of the cable?

Also, while on this topic, what about my monitor power cable as well? I don't know the proper terminology for these things so it's hard to know what to even look up so I thought I'd ask here.

4 minutes ago, brikn said:

By next year, I will be living in another country (South Korea), and I know that they don't have the same type of power connector that I currently do in the US. Do I need to buy a new power supply that has the proper cable? Or can I buy a new cable that has the proper prongs? Or can I get one of those small adapters that connects to the end of the cable?

Also, while on this topic, what about my monitor power cable as well? I don't know the proper terminology for these things so it's hard to know what to even look up so I thought I'd ask here.

As long as your PSU can switch between 120V and 220V, you just need to buy a new PC power cord with the South Korean plug. Most PSU will allow switching since manufacturers won't be making completely different PSUs for different markets. Just make sure you flip the switch on the back of your PSU from 120 to 220V before you plug it in if that's required for your unit. Or else it will pop. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.4.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

1 minute ago, brikn said:

I will be living in another country (South Korea), and I know that they don't have the same type of power connector that I currently do in the US.

US to South Korea

120v to 220v, basically

1 minute ago, brikn said:

Do I need to buy a new power supply that has the proper cable? Or can I buy a new cable that has the proper prongs? Or can I get one of those small adapters that connects to the end of the cable?

you can look at the power supply label, it should have written the accepted input voltage

older PSU has a switch between 110v and 220v, but that's REALLY old stuff, newer stuff generally accept both voltages just fine, but you can check the label just in case

same goes for your monitor, or any other electronics like phone charger etc

as for the socket, if the item is compatible with the voltage then you can use a replacement cable with the proper prongs, adapters works too but not recommended, especially for high powered appliances such as PC and hairdryers

Things I need help with: *new* Need help from "G-sync Compatible" monitor owner(s)

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

It's the SF750 that I have currently. No switch that I can see

6 minutes ago, brikn said:

It's the SF750 that I have currently. No switch that I can see

that PSU should be fine, just get a cable with south korean prongs

also, welcome to the forums, remember to quote or mention the person you're replying so that they'll get a notification

Things I need help with: *new* Need help from "G-sync Compatible" monitor owner(s)

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

that PSU should be fine, just get a cable with south korean prongs

also, welcome to the forums, remember to quote or mention the person you're replying so that they'll get a notification

Thanks! Didn't know that's how the notifications worked. Do the cables need to be purchased from Corsair? How do I shop for a compatible cable, like how would I know if it's a compatible one? I don't wanna accidentally blow up the power supply lol.

3 minutes ago, brikn said:

Do the cables need to be purchased from Corsair?

there are no special chips in the cable, so it is not necessary.

3 minutes ago, brikn said:

how would I know if it's a compatible one?

if it fits, it sits (again, because there's no IC in it)

4 minutes ago, brikn said:

I don't wanna accidentally blow up the power supply lol.

as long as the factory dont get the polarity wrong (super super rare), shouldnt have an issue

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just make sure you flip the switch on the back of your PSU from 120 to 220V before you plug it in if that's required for your unit

If they are using a PSU with a switch for that, they should 100% be swapping the PSU anyway.

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users