Moving to a different country with different power plug

brikn

By next year, I will be living in another country (South Korea), and I know that they don't have the same type of power connector that I currently do in the US. Do I need to buy a new power supply that has the proper cable? Or can I buy a new cable that has the proper prongs? Or can I get one of those small adapters that connects to the end of the cable?

Also, while on this topic, what about my monitor power cable as well? I don't know the proper terminology for these things so it's hard to know what to even look up so I thought I'd ask here.

4 minutes ago, brikn said:

By next year, I will be living in another country (South Korea), and I know that they don't have the same type of power connector that I currently do in the US. Do I need to buy a new power supply that has the proper cable? Or can I buy a new cable that has the proper prongs? Or can I get one of those small adapters that connects to the end of the cable?

Also, while on this topic, what about my monitor power cable as well? I don't know the proper terminology for these things so it's hard to know what to even look up so I thought I'd ask here.

As long as your PSU can switch between 120V and 220V, you just need to buy a new PC power cord with the South Korean plug. Most PSU will allow switching since manufacturers won't be making completely different PSUs for different markets. Just make sure you flip the switch on the back of your PSU from 120 to 220V before you plug it in if that's required for your unit. Or else it will pop. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, brikn said:

I will be living in another country (South Korea), and I know that they don't have the same type of power connector that I currently do in the US.

US to South Korea

120v to 220v, basically

1 minute ago, brikn said:

Do I need to buy a new power supply that has the proper cable? Or can I buy a new cable that has the proper prongs? Or can I get one of those small adapters that connects to the end of the cable?

you can look at the power supply label, it should have written the accepted input voltage

older PSU has a switch between 110v and 220v, but that's REALLY old stuff, newer stuff generally accept both voltages just fine, but you can check the label just in case

same goes for your monitor, or any other electronics like phone charger etc

as for the socket, if the item is compatible with the voltage then you can use a replacement cable with the proper prongs, adapters works too but not recommended, especially for high powered appliances such as PC and hairdryers

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It's the SF750 that I have currently. No switch that I can see

6 minutes ago, brikn said:

It's the SF750 that I have currently. No switch that I can see

that PSU should be fine, just get a cable with south korean prongs

also, welcome to the forums, remember to quote or mention the person you're replying so that they'll get a notification

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

that PSU should be fine, just get a cable with south korean prongs

also, welcome to the forums, remember to quote or mention the person you're replying so that they'll get a notification

Thanks! Didn't know that's how the notifications worked. Do the cables need to be purchased from Corsair? How do I shop for a compatible cable, like how would I know if it's a compatible one? I don't wanna accidentally blow up the power supply lol.

3 minutes ago, brikn said:

Do the cables need to be purchased from Corsair?

there are no special chips in the cable, so it is not necessary.

3 minutes ago, brikn said:

how would I know if it's a compatible one?

if it fits, it sits (again, because there's no IC in it)

4 minutes ago, brikn said:

I don't wanna accidentally blow up the power supply lol.

as long as the factory dont get the polarity wrong (super super rare), shouldnt have an issue

58 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just make sure you flip the switch on the back of your PSU from 120 to 220V before you plug it in if that's required for your unit

If they are using a PSU with a switch for that, they should 100% be swapping the PSU anyway.

:)