Is my drive dying or is it an issues with windows ?

SILENCEuk

So I decided to fresh install my windows yesterday and it’s all running fine apart from my HDD. 

It’s purely a media drive holds no system files etc and no games are run off it and is written to daily as I download most of my content consumption. 

Now the drive will randomly with no consistency or common cause become unfindable in file explorer. I’ve got the case open now and removing the sata power cable and plugging back in makes the drive appear again and work as if nothing happened. No need to restart or rescan for hardware changes. 

Simply removing the sata connection alone doesn’t fix the issue it has to be the power cable. 

This only started post fresh windows install with zero issues or hints of issues before hand. 

Any ideas ? I’m not an expert but I’d imagine if the drive was failing I’d be getting poor performance and lost data and be unable to revive it from the disappearing state? 

The drive is a 1TB Hitachi with the code HDT721010SLA360 with drivers  provided by Microsoft nothing custom going on. 10.0.19041.1 from 21/06/2006. 

Try running crystal disk info, it'll tell you your drive's health.

17 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

Try running crystal disk info, it'll tell you your drive's health.

not sure what crystal does but shows this

Does the hard drive disappear from Device Manager / Bios?

The possibilities include:

1- Bad power cable; wiggling could reestablish power for a while

2- Dying Hard drive PCB; its 14 years old?

Honestly I would backup the hard drive if possible. According to Acronis the rising Read Error Rate and Uncorrectabke Sector Count being high is not a good thing. https://kb.acronis.com/content/9101 

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

3 minutes ago, RyzenDoctor said:

Does the hard drive disappear from Device Manager / Bios?

The possibilities include:

1- Bad power cable; wiggling could reestablish power for a while

2- Dying Hard drive PCB; its 14 years old?

Honestly I would backup the hard drive if possible. According to Acronis the rising Read Error Rate and Uncorrectabke Sector Count being high is not a good thing. https://kb.acronis.com/content/9101 

Yep it fully disappears from device manager too. 

The same data power cable is powering an ssd that isn’t having any issues. And the power supply is basically brand new Corsair 750w modular icue intergraged thing. 

it is pretty old yeah it’s been in the pc for as long as I can remember but never had a single issue with it as my daily download content from websites I’m subscribed too. Watch then delete.  

Little confusing it’s showing as in good health if the read error rate being 100 is bad ? 

im going to need to buy a new drive then and hope it lives long enough to copy over from an external enclosure then ? 

13 minutes ago, SILENCEuk said:

Yep it fully disappears from device manager too. 

The same data power cable is powering an ssd that isn’t having any issues. And the power supply is basically brand new Corsair 750w modular icue intergraged thing. 

it is pretty old yeah it’s been in the pc for as long as I can remember but never had a single issue with it as my daily download content from websites I’m subscribed too. Watch then delete.  

Little confusing it’s showing as in good health if the read error rate being 100 is bad ? 

im going to need to buy a new drive then and hope it lives long enough to copy over from an external enclosure then ? 

From my limited understanding of SMART reports, that rate should be 0. As it approached the 180s, the drive would be on its way out.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

1 minute ago, RyzenDoctor said:

From my limited understanding of SMART reports, that rate should be 0. As it approached the 180s, the drive would be on its way out.

ok so likely the pcb then?

drives fine ish but controllers dying?