WiFi extendor

Fatemu

Hi, just moving into a new university home and the WiFi isn't the best so was hoping to add a powerline adapter with built in WiFi extender in order to give my room an ethernet port (as the router is on the other side of the house).  So was just wondering what would be my best option. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

47 minutes ago, Fatemu said:

Hi, just moving into a new university home and the WiFi isn't the best so was hoping to add a powerline adapter with built in WiFi extender in order to give my room an ethernet port (as the router is on the other side of the house).  So was just wondering what would be my best option. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Power line adapters are hit or miss like WiFi in most cases. Because it depends on the quality of the wiring. The distance the signal has to travel between adapters AND how many circuit breakers you have to pass thru. So its really had to say how well they are going to work. 

Moca is another standard, it works on Coax, but you need coax at both locations, and possibly some filters and such. Though it works better than power line and is faster. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Power line adapters are hit or miss like WiFi in most cases. Because it depends on the quality of the wiring. The distance the signal has to travel between adapters AND how many circuit breakers you have to pass thru. So its really had to say how well they are going to work. 

Moca is another standard, it works on Coax, but you need coax at both locations, and possibly some filters and such. Though it works better than power line and is faster. 

🤔 Curious, does coax cables have to be set up throughout the walls of the house for moca to work, or just at the designated locations in the house? It seems like it takes an awful lot to get it to work. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Curious, does coax cables have to be set up throughout the walls of the house for moca to work, or just at the designated locations in the house? It seems like it takes an awful lot to get it to work. 

Generally all your coax in your home would terminate at one centralized location. For me its my basement. From there you would have a splitter that served all the wall jacks. Moca can and will work on the same coax that is being used by your cable provider, it operates on bands that the cable provider doesn't use (1 to 1.5 Ghz). If the coax is being used by your cable provider then you just need to put a moca filter between the main cable line coming in to your home and the first splitter. 

On top of all of that, there are Moca adapters that have both WiFi and 4 port switches built in. The only issue with moca is its expensive. But Moca 2.0 adapters can do 400 to 800 Mbps and Moca 2.5 can do gigabit from what I have read. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Generally all your coax in your home would terminate at one centralized location. For me its my basement. From there you would have a splitter that served all the wall jacks. Moca can and will work on the same coax that is being used by your cable provider, it operates on bands that the cable provider doesn't use (1 to 1.5 Ghz). If the coax is being used by your cable provider then you just need to put a moca filter between the main cable line coming in to your home and the first splitter. 

On top of all of that, there are Moca adapters that have both WiFi and 4 port switches built in. The only issue with moca is its expensive. But Moca 2.0 adapters can do 400 to 800 Mbps and Moca 2.5 can do gigabit from what I have read. 

🤔 Well Comcast used a splitter from the main line to the modem. There is one connection on the splitter that isn't being used, so I'm assuming I can use that one.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Well Xfnity used a splitter from the main line to the modem. There is one connection on the splitter that isn't being used, so I'm assuming I can use that one.

Yep. But make sure you get a Moca filter to put before the main splitter. 

22 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yep. But make sure you get a Moca filter to put before the main splitter. 

Got it 👍👍

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10