New Router

Mind_001

I currently have Spectrum Cable internet, at 200/11. Connected to the modem is my pfsense box, that I built myself. (well, sort of)

This is my pfsense box: Datto/Zotac AES-NI 8GB RAM 32GB SSD AMD GX-415GA

I have that connected to my switch, then to all the other computers in my house, and an AP off it.

Lately, maybe every month apart, my pfsense box goes offline. I can't use it's WebGUI, I can't SSH to it. I can't even connect a monitor and keyboard into it's own system. I have to hard restart it. I know with PfSense, that is a big no-no, but I didn't have any other choice. I tried taking it down, and looking at it, and there is no damage to the system.

What I have been thinking, is just getting a new router, and leaving this PfSense box off my system.

I have been looking at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X 5-Port.

I really really do not need PfSense, as I am not a Networking guru. My friend pushed me to get it. 😆

If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

17 minutes ago, Mind_001 said:

I currently have Spectrum Cable internet, at 200/11. Connected to the modem is my pfsense box, that I built myself. (well, sort of)

This is my pfsense box: Datto/Zotac AES-NI 8GB RAM 32GB SSD AMD GX-415GA

I have that connected to my switch, then to all the other computers in my house, and an AP off it.

Lately, maybe every month apart, my pfsense box goes offline. I can't use it's WebGUI, I can't SSH to it. I can't even connect a monitor and keyboard into it's own system. I have to hard restart it. I know with PfSense, that is a big no-no, but I didn't have any other choice. I tried taking it down, and looking at it, and there is no damage to the system.

What I have been thinking, is just getting a new router, and leaving this PfSense box off my system.

I have been looking at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X 5-Port.

I really really do not need PfSense, as I am not a Networking guru. My friend pushed me to get it. 😆

If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.

What do you use it for and how much control are you hoping to get? Do you use APs or do you use the router to broadcast the wireless network?

A Ubiquity Edge router is more of an enterprise solution so I would look at ubiquity home stuff unless there is a specific reason. AmpliFi might be more what you are looking for if you want ubiquity. If you want something with similar (ish) features to PFsense look into Mikrotik

Breaking things 1 day at a time

4 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

What do you use it for and how much control are you hoping to get? Do you use APs or do you use the router to broadcast the wireless network?

A Ubiquity Edge router is more of an enterprise solution so I would look at ubiquity home stuff unless there is a specific reason. AmpliFi might be more what you are looking for if you want ubiquity. If you want something with similar (ish) features to PFsense look into Mikrotik

I have an AP in my living room to give the whole house (all one floor) wireless capabilities, phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

I only considered the EdgeRouter because it's the cheapest, and very simple to set up. I thought PfSense is enteprise, too... (but free for personal/home use)

1 minute ago, Mind_001 said:

I have an AP in my living room to give the whole house (all one floor) wireless capabilities, phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

I only considered the EdgeRouter because it's the cheapest, and very simple to set up. I thought PfSense is enteprise, too... (but free for personal/home use)

Pfsense is considered enterprise. What kind of AP is in your living room?

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Pfsense is considered enterprise. What kind of AP is in your living room?

It's my old router, an ASUS RT-N66R. Just in AP mode. Hasn't failed me yet. We don't have a large house. All computers that need wireless are rather close to the AP. So really no use for a cluster system.

1 minute ago, Mind_001 said:

It's my old router, an ASUS RT-N66R. Just in AP mode. Hasn't failed me yet. We don't have a large house. All computers that need wireless are rather close to the AP. So really no use for a cluster system.

Do you need any fancy settings or just something to broadcast DHCP leases?

Do you need any fancy settings or just something to broadcast DHCP leases?

Well, I would need DHCP, also port forwarding, as I do plan to get a server in the near future, and run some stuff off it. I would like some form of a firewall. I don't think I would need much more.

Just now, Mind_001 said:

Well, I would need DHCP, also port forwarding, as I do plan to get a server in the near future, and run some stuff off it. I would like some form of a firewall. I don't think I would need much more.

Edgerouter would be a fine option. Mikrotik would also be a good option. If I had to choose between the two I would pick an edge router but thats my brand favoritism

Edgerouter would be a fine option. Mikrotik would also be a good option. If I had to choose between the two I would pick an edge router but thats my brand favoritism

You weird.. first you say I don't need it, then you go around saying it's a good idea. Maybe you misunderstood me?

Just now, Mind_001 said:

You weird.. first you say I don't need it, then you go around saying it's a good idea. Maybe you misunderstood me?

I mean I still think an edge router is overkill but...

No clue where i was going with any of that by bad