Intel suffers massive data breach involving confidential company and CPU information revealing hardcoded backdoors.

Not enough to be a security problem for Intel? But this still doesn't look good and Intel is having enough trouble as it is. Wow that password though lmao.

4 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

I'm pretty sure that is the case due to the files leaked and you would probably agree if you worked in the area. I'm waiting for the rest.

Im just saying the guy has a good track record of decent leaks and has already said the further leaks have more classified info. I would guess the initial leak was to get some attention and judge interest and possible backlash if the rest was released. Im not questioning your knowledge of the subject matter. I build high end rendering machines and server farms so im not some kid with a passing interest because of fortnite haha.

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That is the point. Not saying you are a random kid who plays fortnite, just that you probably haven't designed/worked with electronics, let alone microelectronics. If you have worked with them, you would see tons and tons of datasheets with exactly the same info of these docs: how the interfaces work, reference values you could expect on the pins, which we and OEMs need to know to properly connect them to other stuff.

Right but as i say, time will tell. You wouldnt leak your best bits before drumming up some interest.

Have you for instance searched the term "backdoor" in any of the firmware sources? Not saying its revelatory but its definitely confirming some level of backdoor hard coded into systems. Maybe OEM's are aware but i sure as hell bet the consumer isnt.

3 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That is the point. Not saying you are a random kid who plays fortnite, just that you probably haven't designed/worked with electronics, let alone microelectronics. If you have worked with them, you would see tons and tons of datasheets with exactly the same info of these docs: how the interfaces work, reference values you could expect on the pins, which we and OEMs need to know to properly connect them to other stuff; firmware blobs and release notes; etc.

You're kind of right and wrong. Schematics have been released already, but source code, even if it is just 1% of the total file, is one of the most valuable things in there

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That is the point. Not saying you are a random kid who plays fortnite, just that you probably haven't designed/worked with electronics, let alone microelectronics. If you have worked with them, you would see tons and tons of datasheets with exactly the same info of these docs: how the interfaces work, reference values you could expect on the pins, which we and OEMs need to know to properly connect them to other stuff; firmware blobs and release notes; etc.

I haven't looked at the "leaked" documents but the above is typical. If you need to share information, which you will sooner or later if you want people to use with your stuff, it needs to be documented, and controlled release to those who need to know. Of course, there's many ways such a system could fail, and the human element is a big one. Until recently I was an engineer at a $billion size company, and I had pretty much access to all engineering relevant data. Not only internal controlled documents, but also working areas like engineering shares. I wasn't alone with that level of access. If anyone went rogue, information the company wouldn't want shared could get out. Of course, I didn't have access to data outside the engineering area. Sales, HR or finance? Nope. 

Passwords on data going external were often not strong. It was meant to be enough to prevent casual or automated snooping, not provide any tin foil hat level of security. 

7 minutes ago, japers said:

Right but as i say, time will tell. You wouldnt leak your best bits before drumming up some interest.

Time will tell for sure, but if it is interest you want, why not go all out? People would be really interested in juicy info. Right now, it seems like a lot of noise over nothing of significance. I'm sure people will go over it and will report if there is anything really juicy in it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

a lot of noise over nothing of significance

Source code. Noise over nothing of significance. 

What is "significant" to you

9 minutes ago, porina said:

Time will tell for sure, but if it is interest you want, why not go all out? People would be really interested in juicy info. Right now, it seems like a lot of noise over nothing of significance. I'm sure people will go over it and will report if there is anything really juicy in it.

If i was a leaker whose purpose is to leak corporate files that should be public because something is going on, id take a great deal of pride in drumming up some serious internet storm with some bait, get the media talking about it before dropping the really good stuff. From a media strategy POV it makes great sense so you dont overload them with info. Youd have to put something credible out to make sure people are listening.

As the saying goes

"Lets run some tits up the flagpole and see if anybody gets wood" - Malcolm F. Tucker

4 minutes ago, Anonymous015 said:

Source code. Noise over nothing of significance. 

What is "significant" to you

It's an embarrassment for Intel for sure. But unless there is something unexpected in there, it isn't really that big. Like people have found references to "backdoor". Great, now actually show it does something nefarious. Then you'll have my attention.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The "How to Watermark slides" stuff is hilarious, though

Don't have the bandwidth to download that file. At 20mbps, that will take like a day

Would be nice if you could post that file on the forum tho

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

This is a big IP breach. 

If only because Intel didn't want to share this stuff with others in the first place. Yet it was harvested (for want of a better word) from their apparently insecure server. That in and by itself is quite the facepalm moment for Intels security credentials and will have an impact on commitment from 3rd parties for Intel product. Like I hinted at earlier, AMD is laughing (hard!) all the way to the bank!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, porina said:

It's an embarrassment for Intel for sure. But unless there is something unexpected in there, it isn't really that big. Like people have found references to "backdoor". Great, now actually show it does something nefarious. Then you'll have my attention.

I mean why would they use the term backdoor?. Genuinely curious. They arent exactly going to call it "Super secret CIA entry subroutine". If its merely a coincidence or an oversight its a bit of a bad reflection on the quality of their codebase.

But unless there is something unexpected in there, it isn't really that big. Like people have found references to "backdoor". Great, now actually show it does something nefarious. Then you'll have my attention.

Just the fact that there is a backdoor, a source code has been leaked.

There is gonna end up being one big exploit bigger the spectre and meltdown for intel users. Data centres would be in real trouble. Might just be the downfall of intel

It's not the "backdoor" stuff that's a worry. It's that there might be silicon design tools in the collection and future ones. Under the radar one is the TB4 controller (Snowridge) being named. Those are a hot-spot for security issues and, depending on what's in there, some engineers are about to have a very bad weekend.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

some engineers are about to have a very bad weekend

Datacentres too.

I wonder how many breached are going to happen because of this one breach

11 minutes ago, Anonymous015 said:

Just the fact that there is a backdoor, a source code has been leaked.

There is gonna end up being one big exploit bigger the spectre and meltdown for intel users. Data centres would be in real trouble. Might just be the downfall of intel

That's going a bit far ahead. I'll let people more motivated than I am go through that stuff and let's see if there is really anything interesting in there.

3 hours ago, gloop said:

if this is legit, than the leaker just made the biggest f*cking fool of himself lmao

The truth is probably somewhere inconsequential and damning. ;)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

23 minutes ago, Arika S said:

...why the hell are people celebrating this?

because they don't understand it and still think companies are simple structures they can be compared to school friends.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

The files are available to the "public" it is intended for a.k.a. partners.

So, not intended for the general public then.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2020 has had its downsides...

2020 has had its upsides...

We are being blessed for a day. 

Spoiler

Hope this hurts Intel a bit longer than a week. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers