I can't decide: 1440p, IPS, 27 inch, low ms, high Hz

Gbr

Hello.

I am searching the best (panel, build quality etc.) 1440p, IPS, 27 inch, low ms, high Hz monitor I can buy.

I looked at these:

- LG 27GL83A-B (price: ok)

- LG 27GL850-B (price: ok)

- ASUS VG27AQ (price: ok)

- GIGABYTE AORUS FI27Q-EK (price: maybe)

- Lenovo Y27Q-20 (price: maybe)

- GIGABYTE AORUS AD27QD (price: high)

- ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q (price: high)

Other:

- Acer Nitro VG271UPbmiipx (price: ok)

- Acer VG270UPbmiipx (price: ok)

- ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD (price: ok)

- Acer XV272UPbmiiprzx (price: ok)

- GIGABYTE AORUS FI27QP-EK (price: high)

- ViewSonic XG270QG (price: high)

What do you think?

(I will create a triple monitor setup from it with an Nvidia videocard.)

The LG 27GL850-B is hands down the best monitor in this market segment.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann98 said:

The LG 27GL850-B is hands down the best monitor in this market segment.

If it had Native G-Sync, that would be the case. 

To OP:

A couple more months and we’ll have 1440p 240Hz IPS. 

That’s if you will want to be spend that much and really want all the Hz you can get at 1440p. 

I’ll have a panel, most likely from Acer, but then switch to 1080p 360Hz towards November when those would be available. 

Right now, I’d go with a Lenovo Y27gq - even though it’s a TN, it’s 2nd Gen 8-bit TN that I almost saw no difference in performance when gaming compared to most IPS screens, it was very impressive but gives you G-Sync Ultimate & 1440p 240Hz. 

The ASUS PG279Q is a favourite of mine, very low response times & low Input Lag plus goes up to 165Hz. 

The LG mentioned would be a solid 3rd choice though. 

27 minutes ago, Knight77 said:

If it had Native G-Sync, that would be the case.

It is G-Sync compatible certified and there are no known issues when using it. It doesn't matter one bit, that it's not native G-Sync.

A couple more months and we’ll have 1440p 240Hz IPS. That’s if you will want to be spend that much and really want all the Hz you can get at 1440p. 

The first 1440p 240Hz IPS panels are on the market already. (Samsung Odyssey G7 and G9) These monitors will be sitting at >700$, which is rediculously expensive for a 1440p monitor. And the upgrade from 144Hz to 240Hz is not that big...

Right now, I’d go with a Lenovo Y27gq - even though it’s a TN, it’s 2nd Gen 8-bit TN that I almost saw no difference in performance when gaming compared to most IPS screens, it was very impressive but gives you G-Sync Ultimate & 1440p 240Hz.

When shopping in this price range it wouldn't be acceptable for me to settle for a TN monitor. The best IPS monitors like the 27GL850-B have equal response times and offer much more in terms of colorspace, accuracity, wider viewing angles, etc... TN's time is pretty much over for non-competitive users as VA and IPS panels are as fast and offer much more of everything else. Also i doubt it has G-Sync Ultimate as this certification only comes to G-Sync monitors with HDR1000 or greater certifications.

The ASUS PG279Q is a favourite of mine, very low response times & low Input Lag plus goes up to 165Hz.

While this is a very capable monitor, the LG 27GL850-B is better in pretty much any regard. Let it be response time, color performance or anything else. The only drawbacks for the LG is the lower than average contrast ratio for IPS and not having Asus's ELMB-Sync feature. In almost any other way it's the perfect 1440p gaming monitor. And 165Hz is not a significant upgrade and shouldn't play a role in a buying decision when comparing to 144Hz. It's a nice bonus but nothing to go for in the first place. No one will notice the difference when sitting in front of both.

I'm not trying to offend you in any way, just giving the best possible information i have for OP to make his decision.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

It is G-Sync compatible certified and there are no known issues when using it. It doesn't matter one bit, that it's not native G-Sync.

It’s never going to have same quality as a dedicated G-Sync processor/module. 

Even with no known issues, when talking about “best” - this isn’t it. 

So it does matter as there’s still disadvantages of not having it. 

The first 1440p 240Hz IPS panels are on the market already. (Samsung Odyssey G7 and G9) These monitors will be sitting at >700$, which is rediculously expensive for a 1440p monitor.

Firstly, they are VA not IPS. 

Secondly, you would expect to pay a premium for the worlds first & expensive depends on your budget. 

Yes they will be pricey, but if you want the best, you expect to pay high prices. 

For example, the 360Hz monitor will be around $1100 - it’s a high price, but it’s a world first & the highest refresh rate monitor - so the best when it comes to being able to offer that. 

And the upgrade from 144Hz to 240Hz is not that big...

Absolutely not true. 

Me & my friends went 240Hz and tried to go back to 144 or less. 

It was evident that it was slower, almost frustrating, to be lower than 240Hz. 

For me, I want the best, fastest, and BlurBusters has a solid article of how 240Hz is no where near the beneficial limit of perceived smoothness / responsiveness. 

144Hz is fast & good but definitely 240Hz is night and day better. 

You can see how Linus did a test and everyone did better on 240. 

Personally, 360Hz is a good stepping stone to 480Hz and beyond. 

Having more frames simply means smoother, less input lag, more information. It will always be beneficial & better. At least, 144/240/480 isn’t the limit at all. 

I would challenge anyone who’s played at 240Hz consistently for at least a week to try and go back to 144 or 120. 

Just like 60 to 120/144, I now wouldn’t go back to 120/144 after 240 and I know once 360Hz hits my desk, it will be the same. 

Too many people discredit 240Hz as something otherworldly and I know most won’t have even tried it!

When shopping in this price range it wouldn't be acceptable for me to settle for a TN monitor. The best IPS monitors like the 27GL850-B have equal response times and offer much more in terms of colorspace, accuracity, wider viewing angles, etc... TN's time is pretty much over for non-competitive users as VA and IPS panels are as fast and offer much more of everything else. Also i doubt it has G-Sync Ultimate as this certification only comes to G-Sync monitors with HDR1000 or greater certifications.

Again, you haven’t seen 2nd Gen TN, I’m assuming from your response. 

Go have a look at YouTube vids / reviews. 

It does have the G-Sync Ultimate Module, although it isn’t HDR 1,000 - guess Nvidia made an exception but nonetheless, it’s Native G-Sync and does have the inbuilt fan to cool said module. 

Finally, I wouldn’t ever go to VA for gaming, it’s just not a great experience, waited an age for the ASUS PG35VQ and the reason it was a disappointment was because of its VA panel, I guess that’s why it was heavily delayed. 

The best choice would be OLED but theirs no gaming monitors. 

The MiniLED IPS screens just haven’t arrived yet. 

So we do have FALD but again, limited to 120/144 as they’re normally 4K. 

All in all, 2nd Gen TN is really close to regular IPS. 

While this is a very capable monitor, the LG 27GL850-B is better in pretty much any regard. Let it be response time, color performance or anything else. The only drawbacks for the LG is the lower than average contrast ratio for IPS and not having Asus's ELMB-Sync feature. In almost any other way it's the perfect 1440p gaming monitor. And 165Hz is not a significant upgrade and shouldn't play a role in a buying decision when comparing to 144Hz. It's a nice bonus but nothing to go for in the first place. No one will notice the difference when sitting in front of both.

The LG has better colours, for sure, but I’ve not seen it myself so I’m not going to comment on how much better they look in a SDR setting or whether it’s worth it. 

The ASUS has native G-Sync plus can be slightly overclocked, you may not notice the difference but every little difference counts when it comes to gaming. 

So I see one Pro for the LG & two for the ASUS. 

But right now, today, which is the best 1440p monitor overall for MP Gaming?

It is the Lenovo Y27gq based off the specs of having native G-Sync and 240Hz. 

Best monitor for SP gaming at 1440p? Well that’s two choices,

I would have to say the ASUS PG27UQ (I know it’s 4K but I would play at 2K) as it has the best picture quality with HDR. 

Ok, now that is out of reach for a lot of peopleC so yes, I would say the LG since G-Sync Compatible wouldn’t be the biggest issue as long as it was issue free. 

I'm not trying to offend you in any way, just giving the best possible information i have for OP to make his decision.

Absolutely none taken!

I’m just interested in what’s the best, that means balancing between Resolution, Refresh Rate & Picture Quality. 

Would I go 1080p, 1st Gen TN but get 240Hz?

No, really not, I’d have to put up with slower 144Hz to balance this out. 

But 1440p, 2nd Gen TN @ 240Hz isn’t going to be distinguished between IPS imo when MP gaming. 

Anyway, refresh rate has to be high, resolution needs to be sharp & finally, the colours have to be good. 

That’s why I’m really happy that even though the 360Hz panels will be 1080p, that they’re at least IPS panels - plus they have Native G-Sync!

4 hours ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Look at that wall.

@Gbr to keep matters simple, the LG 27GL850 is hands down the best monitor for 500usd and out of all the monitors you listed, for 700 go with the odyssey g7 if u don't mind the curved VA.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

4 hours ago, Gbr said:

- LG 27GL83A-B (price: ok)

- LG 27GL850-B (price: ok)

- ASUS VG27AQ (price: ok)

- GIGABYTE AORUS FI27Q-EK (price: maybe)

- Lenovo Y27Q-20 (price: maybe)

- GIGABYTE AORUS AD27QD (price: high)

- ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q (price: high)

Other:

- Acer Nitro VG271UPbmiipx (price: ok)

- Acer VG270UPbmiipx (price: ok)

- ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD (price: ok)

- Acer XV272UPbmiiprzx (price: ok)

- GIGABYTE AORUS FI27QP-EK (price: high)

- ViewSonic XG270QG (price: high)

In the same  boat, has been searching for 27' 144hz QHD displays because my Aero 15 laptop's screen feels too confined

Acer XV272UP,Acer Nitro VG271UP,Acer VG270UP(at release, AUO panel but later switched to K7B),AORUS AD27QD all uses Innolux K7B. I'd avoid because of the high response time(And for some reason I always associate the 'innolux' to somthing subpar compared to AUO's equiv. offering, particularly in laptop displays as well). ViewSonic XG270QG uses the same panel as LG 27GL850(reportedly), but with dedicated hardware G-Sync, in where I am living this monitor is over 66% more expensive than the LG's 27GL850 and that's not worth it in my honest opinion.

ASUS's offering seems good at first glance for me but just can't pull the trigger. Both XG279Q(AUO 6.6 fast-IPS, this fastIPS is argubly better than the LG's nanoIPS) and popular VG27AQ(this one uses older AUO's panel) all has minimum brightness over 80cd/m^2 and 110cd/m^2 respectively accourding to tftcentral. And that's too bright to me and pretty much unusable.  I am a very sensitive user who prefer lower brightness and PWM-free. and always kept night mode in Win10 on. My laptop screen(LGDO5C0) only has contrast 800:1(min brightness 9cd/m^2, the only monitor that I can find with lowest brightness is the PG27UQ, get as low as 25cd/m^2 and it costs $1200 in my region, cannot afford it.) and it seems like I don't have any problem with it.

For now, I will probably get the 27GL850 and if it gives me headache and eyestrain, I'll return.

If anyone has better suggestion, prefereably a panel from AUO, please let me know, thanks!

Okay.
I have an other question.
Before I buy I can open the box and test the panels.
What I have to look carefully? I heard that there can be problems with IPS panels.
(Let's talk about 27GL850.)