AMD releases 2 new low power processors ( mobile)

Drama Lama
6 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

So chiplet Design for desktop and monolithic design for mobile 

has anyone an idea which lithography the IO Die of Zen3 will use?

the io die, thats more complex, with them wanting to maximize 7nm utility i don't expect them to move the io die to 7nm, but maybe to global foundries 12nm planar, which is an excellent node even though its not finfet, pretty damn cheap as well, other options include samsung's 10nm, tsmc's 16/12nm, or stay at GF 12nm finfet.

density isn't really important for the io die as the die itself will be limited by the size needed for the bottom placed connections and the size needed for the signal drivers to provide enough current, amd with zen 2 already is close to the limit of how dense organic substrates can get, and that is with zen 2 having half wide bus for writes (if memory serves), so how cheap the die is, and having enough volume is more important than having dense logic 

So, when we say "low power", what kind of products would these be? Like tablets? Or NUCs? Would these be in higher-end Pi competitors, for robotics and the such and like? Or just low-priced consumer PCs like 130-dollar laptops?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

15 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

So, when we say "low power", what kind of products would these be? Like tablets? Or NUCs? Would these be in higher-end Pi competitors, for robotics and the such and like? Or just low-priced consumer PCs like 130-dollar laptops?

We can probably expects a tray price of less than 50USD. going from the fact the Athlon 200GE was that price. I'd imagine significantly lower personally. Could see this being a 30... maybe even 20USD part from AMD. (The fact it doesn't need to be packaged in AM4 form factor will reduce a lot of cost and logistics for AMD, as well as the fact that almost everything destined for this will pass the binning process at those clocks) Basically these are throw away chips(Chips that failed binning for any other part), so AMD could treat them as basically free stock and leverage them for market share. 

So it all depends on it's performance and tray price to where then end up, but I could see this being an interesting LattePanda board honestly. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240