AMD releases 2 new low power processors ( mobile)

Drama Lama

Please write if this has already been posted 

While AMDs Zen2 processors for desktop and laptop are selling like sliced bread , intel is still pretty much the only option for ultra low power mobile processors 

now AMD wants also to expand into that sector 

AMD made a press Release 

with two new combo processors ( APUs ) mainly targeted at the  educational market 

3020E and 3015E

they have none of AMD‘s brand names but belong to the Zen line of processors 

both are using two cores 

Three  Vega  compute units ( 192 shader cores )

made with Globalfoundries 14nm 

the TDP is 6 Watts 

3020E has a baseclock of 1,2 GHz

and a max boost of 2,6 GHz

no SMT

and uses dual channel memory up to ddr 4  2400mhz 

The Vega 3 iGPU runs at 1000mhz

TDP 6 W

3015E has a baseclock of 1,2 GHz

and a max boost of 2,3 GHz

and with SMT

but only single channel ddr4 1600mhz

the Vega 3 GPU runs at 600mhz

TDP 6 W

Not included in the press release but already on AMD‘s website:

Athlon 3050E

https://www.amd.com/de/products/apu/amd-athlon-silver-3050e

base clock unknown 

max boost of 2,8 GHz

with SMT

and uses dual channel memory up to ddr 4  2400mhz 

The Vega 3 iGPU runs at 1000mhz

TDP 6 W

Original source:

https://www.heise.de/news/AMD-Kombiprozessoren-fuer-Schul-Notebooks-Sparsamste-Zen-Zweikerner-4863221.html

Lenovo notebooks start at $ 220

this is not directly about the processors but rather in what devices you can expect them

Spoiler

Along with AMD's presentation, Lenovo announced the two notebooks 100e 2nd Gen and 300e 2nd Gen. They share the same platform with the combined processor 3015E, 11.6 inch display (1366 × 768 pixels, 250 cd / m²), 4 GByte DDR4 RAM, Wi-Fi 6 (WLAN 802.11ax) and Windows 10 (up to Per). The 100e 2nd Gen is only available with 64 GB eMMC flash memory and uses a TN panel. The 300e 2nd Gen comes with a touch display - the "WVA" specification (Wide Viewing Angle) speaks for IPS technology. There is also a configuration with a 128 GB SSD instead of slower eMMC flash.

Both models use three USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit / s, formerly USB 3.0), including a Type-C port. External monitors can be connected via HDMI 2.0. Users can expand the internal memory using a micro SD card. A 3.5 mm combo jack rounds off the connections.

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Unless they're significantly cheaper than Intel's equivalents, like A LOT cheaper, I just don't see the point. I don't see them even coming close to beating neither their Celeron nor their Pentium mobile counterparts.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

intel is still leading in low power chips

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

4 minutes ago, comander said:

It's possibly an Atom or Core M alternative. Two slow Zen cores should run circles around older Atoms and likely hang in with the newer wider chips coming out. 

As Core M alternatives, I agree that these might actually make some sense if the price is right.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

Unless they're significantly cheaper than Intel's equivalents, like A LOT cheaper, I just don't see the point. I don't see them even coming close to beating neither their Celeron nor their Pentium mobile counterparts.

Keep in mind, low power mobile Celerons are a far cry from low power desktop Celerons. Same for Pentiums. The mobile N series models and even U series are EXTREMELY slow. I'm not eve joking when I say it's usually slower than a mid range ARM CPU. If these Zen models can hold boost clock at 2GHz, I am expecting over 20% better performance than the best mobile Pentiums

I can see these being pretty okay for laptops that are like 149 bucks, replacing the the AMD A-series chips that are still used in the lowest end stuff like we saw Linus look at recently. 

They'd compete pretty well with intels super low end if the price is right. And Glofo is so cheap compared to TSMC that I'm sure we can see prices that are almost laughable if AMD really wanted it to be so. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Keep in mind, low power mobile Celerons are a far cry from low power desktop Celerons. Same for Pentiums. The mobile N series models and even U series are EXTREMELY slow. I'm not eve joking when I say it's usually slower than a mid range ARM CPU. If these Zen models can hold boost clock at 2GHz, I am expecting over 20% better performance than the best mobile Pentiums

Just going by what I see on paper, these seem to have both lower base and boost clocks than Celeron/Pentiums, as well as lower IPC since these are most likely just based on Zen 1. I don't know about over 20% better than the best mobile Pentiums.

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm sure we can see prices that are almost laughable if AMD really wanted it to be so. 

maybe AMD will sell them really cheap even for low end chips in order to get their contract with global foundries done 

and not having to buy wafers from them anymore 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Drama Lama said:

maybe AMD will sell them really cheap even for low end chips in order to get their contract with global foundries done 

and not having to buy wafers from them anymore 

I don't know what the current WSA is like, in the past it was x number of wafers per month. Has it been changed to X total wafers then the are free?

It could be that they are moving IO die over to TSMC(it is currently Glofo) and need something to fill in the WSA with Glofo. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

most likely just based on Zen 1

Or Zen + 

the article says only that they belong to the Zen generation 

but I‘d guess they are Zen 1 based 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

t could be that they are moving IO die over to TSMC(it is currently Glofo) and need something to fill in the WSA with Glofo. 

Will Zen 3 be a Multi chiplet Design?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Drama Lama said:

We don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if it isn't. The MCM is one of the reasons AMD can have massive yields and cheaper prices than Intel can for the same or higher core count chip. 

Or, they are going monolithic again and thus need something else to fill the WSA with Glofo. Could technically be either, but I would be surprised if they go backwards to monolithic dies personally. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Just going by what I see on paper, these seem to have both lower base and boost clocks than Celeron/Pentiums, as well as lower IPC since these are most likely just based on Zen 1. I don't know about over 20% better than the best mobile Pentiums.

Thr boost clock on mobile Pentiums and Celeron models is called "Burst clock" (am not making it up) because it's hardwired to only reach it for a few seconds before returning to vase. Google the latest N----- whatever model. You'll see what I mean. Mobile low end is also not on 14+++++ but on older revisions and uses the worst died from every revision. So they seem a lot better on paper but in practice, my sister's company junked over 600 brand new laptops with them because they couldn't handle Chrome + Outlook at the same time and the company moved to T series ThinkPad models

36 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Or Zen + 

the article says only that they belong to the Zen generation 

but I‘d guess they are Zen 1 based 

Zen+ is 12nm, 14nm is Zen 1.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

1600AF? 🙃

Hide contents

Yea it's just a down clocked 2600 and actually is Zen+ but with a Ryzen 1000 name. Marketing lol

1200AF? 🤓

33 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

One thing that I am curious about if if they are new parts are cut down Zen APUs. (BTW Zen APUs were like a hybrid between Zen and Zen+ afaik) 

Because, if they are just dual core, vega 3 parts, or more likely vega 4 parts with one disabled CU, then the cheapness of these parts will be insane, like, really, really insane. 

I did a little bit of playing with a silicon calculator. let's say that they made a new die, that was 40% the size of a 2200g. At just 2 cores and 4 Vega CUs, I feel like 40% would be close enough for this example. For a standard 12inch Glofo wafer you'd be looking at over 1700 perfect dies. Of the 57 defective dies, some number of them would be recoverable due to having the extra vega CU, lets sat's say 50%(Random number pulled out my arse) are. 

Now you have 1,771 workable chips to come out of one wafer. Think of the tiny cost per unit you'd incur with such a design? 

image.png.295632c2cd386af770e3e6257b8bc4de.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

One thing that I am curious about if if they are new parts are cut down Zen APUs. (BTW Zen APUs were like a hybrid between Zen and Zen+ afaik) 

Because, if they are just dual core, vega 3 parts, or more likely vega 4 parts with one disabled CU, then they cheapness of these parts will be insane, like, really, really insane. 

Wasn't the 200GE like 50 bucks? Because that actually looks quite similar - 14nm, 2C/4T (higher clocks compared to the 3050E), Vega 3 (same clock speed as the 3050E). These might actually be dirt cheap.

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Wasn't the 200GE like 50 bucks? Because that actually looks quite similar - 14nm, 2C/4T (higher clocks compared to the 3050E), Vega 3 (same clock speed as the 3050E). These might actually be dirt cheap.

Yes, but that was a full APU cut down(due to die defects), meaning that these could be much cheaper!

Also add the fact that to package these for laptops is cheaper than to put them in a full AM4 package and well you can see where I'm doing with the dirt cheap point. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Yes, but that was a full APU cut down(due to die defects), meaning that these could be much cheaper!

Also add the fact that to package these for laptops is cheaper than to put them in a full AM4 package and well you can see where I'm doing with the dirt cheap point. 

I just want to add, I don't think it will be a new die honestly, but there would be a reason to do so with the sheer number of chips you could get by doing it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

For very low price machines these are very good. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

While AMDs Zen2 processors for desktop and laptop are selling like sliced bread

Yes they are:

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

18 minutes ago, comander said:

The mobile Celeron/Pentiums are usually Atom based. These parts have half the IPC of the desktop variants. 

At launch Atom had Pentium 4 levels of IPC. Here and now they have Core 2 Duo levels of IPC. I expect the next variant will have IPC comparable to Nehalem...

I suspect that in 5 years it'll be comparable to Sandy Bridge. At that point, Intel will HOPEFULLY have a desktop part out that's 60-70% higher IPC than Sandy Bridge though. (Ice lake is roughly 45% higher than Sandy Bridge). 

I'm going to admit that my knowledge regarding Celerons and Pentiums is not particularly extensive, but the G3258 I know for a fact was not even close to having Core 2 Duo levels of IPC. It was straight-up Haswell/Devil's Canyon, and that was 6 years ago.

10 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

for mid and high end desktop, 90+% chance of being chiplet, but later on we might also see some apus that are monolithic with 8 or more cores.

9 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

amd can make zen+ on 14nm if they want to. zen + really is just zen with a more optimized microcode 

8 hours ago, cj09beira said:

for mid and high end desktop, 90+% chance of being chiplet, but later on we might also see some apus that are monolithic with 8 or more cores.

So chiplet Design for desktop and monolithic design for mobile 

has anyone an idea which lithography the IO Die of Zen3 will use?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler