Cooler Master - "Talk to the Product Manager" Live Chat & Giveaway

THIS IS OVER AND YOU CAN WATCH IT HERE, BUT THE GIVEAWAY IS DONE

So what is this?

I'm sure you guys have all thought to yourself, "This PC case is perfect... except"

Nathan Almond PC case product manager for Cooler Master North America will be joining us for a Q&A and suggestion session on March 6th, 2014 at 11am Pacific time

Click here to find out what time it is in your time zone

This will be a great opportunity to talk about your ideas, send in your sketches, give feedback on existing products, and otherwise influence Cooler Master's case development in the future. 

Not only that, but we'll be giving away some cool Cooler Master swag on the show... They are going to be giving us a Quickfire Stealth with Cherry MX Brown keys, a SPAWN mouse, a Skorpion Mouse Bungee, and a Control RX Mouse pad! 

It will be streamed at http://twitch.tv/linustech, and the giveaway we're running is for LIVE VIEWERS ONLY.

The main topic of the stream (aside from general Q&A) is going to be your FAVOURITE case features and the ones you think need to GO AWAY.

I want this to be a lot of fun and super interactive, so please post your ideas in this forum thread. I will definitely be taking more suggestions during the show as well, but it's great to have a starting point.. Folks who post in the thread versus trying to get their questions featured live *will* have a bit of an advantage!

How do I win the swag?

The winner will be chosen randomly from the live viewers of the stream during a random period, so make sure you're paying attention!

1. Make sure you're registered for Linus Tech Tips forum and signed in while you're watching the live stream

2. Make sure you're watching from somewhere that you'll have access to a browser

3. Tune into the stream right at the beginning and make sure you're paying attention!

Please note the giveaway is (unfortunately) USA and Canada only, but anyone can tune in!

First, ha

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Cool can't wait

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

yes i love that thing that tells u the time finally but sucks i have to be up at 6am lol

Add it to the forum calendar, maybe?

Signatures are stupid.

Go away:

USB 2.0.

Plastic.

Favorites:

USB ports located on the side of the case, preferably lower than higher.

Fan filters that are magnetic or easy to remove.

Large, square windows, but cut so that they hide the ugly bits.

NZXT's integrated LED lighting is pretty sweet.

Room for radiators up top. 360mm preferably.

Cable routing. Lots of it.

Modularity. Being able to remove drive cages, etc.

Genuinely compact mATX cases with 5 expansion slots. Cannot say this enough. Even better are the ones with 4 slots and the 5th one up and sideways.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

@LinusTech

You could fix the text for black theme users.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

My questions/comments/thoughts

1. With the decline of cds/dvds are we going to see cases without 5.25' bays, I for one would welcome this, as it would allow cases to be smaller.

2. Why do case manufacturers insist on including 'features' such as on board fan controllers given the move to pwm fans and the fact that motherboard manufacturers seem to be trending towards on board fan control.

3. Cable management has come a long way in the past few years, is there still room for improvement on the side of the case manufacturers and if so what improvements are we likely to see from Cooler Master.

4. With the rise of SSDs will Cooler Master be releasing cases that only come with SSD mounts.

5. Filters. All vented areas should have them. Especially the PSU and main intakes.

6. Rubber case feet. No exceptions.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Dust proofing... its why the 250d IMO just murdered the mini itx form factor. A huge radiator, dust proofing, two ssd's in raid 0, two HD in raid 1, 780ti and you can play w/e. CM has a great price point and most of their products look great, if they were JUST a bit more up to date they would sell much more even if it means adding 10-15 more dollars to the price point. Similar to how I facepalmed when evga didnt make the power supply modular, the only horrible part of that case they only need one or two quick fixes to significantly improve. 

Lets see...
Dislikes:

SSD mounts that you have to remove the motherboard to add/remove the ssd'd

Windowed cases or cases with side I/O and have a front door that opens the "wrong way"(Define R4 and NZXT Zero for examples)

Cheap included fans(make lots of noise, can only be ran at full speed, etc...)

Super bright power/hdd activity lights

Long bottom removable fan filters

Non rubber case feet

Case not high enough for bottom mounted PSU

Fan controllers with only enough room for the default fans and maybe 1 or 2 more(never seem to be able to populate all fan slots and plug them into the case fan controller)

Cheap Included PSU

USB3 to USB2 optional adapter

Noise dampening

Side windows

Brushed metals

Enough space for top rad

4 Front USB(Any combo)

Easy to close side panels(even with lots of cables)

Things that I think should be present in all cases are modular options like removable hard drive cages that are able to be mounted in any direction that you like. In tune with that same line of thought, I think more case manufacturers need to create more modular options for 5.25" bays by allowing users to remove it in favor of more hard drive space or a radiator. I think everyone would agree that both the presence of dust filters and simplicity in removing them are very important. That and more cable management options. 

In terms of cosmetic options, I'm not a huge fan of the mesh front panels that seem to be present in every Cooler Master case. I think a brushed aluminium or flat finish would look nicer. I also really like cases that allow you to "hide away" your power supply by including a small enclosure for it, though I suppose this would need to be a modular option as it would block off airflow for folks who prefer to mount PSU's with the fan facing upward.  

I love magnetic filters for fans (especially removable ones, like in the Corsair 250D), and a full-steel construction.  What I don't like are HD Audio ports. While most are very useful, I find that the degradation of sound quality outweigh the benefits of a 2nd set of ports. Mobo ports are good enough in my opinion.

God damnit, that's like, 6am here :(

Power Supply covers. It's like the most ugly part of any system. Magnetic fan filters are great. Actually I love having velcro straps for cable management. Things I'd like to see removed. Cheap plastic. Collects fingerprints, looks bad, overall doesn't look anywhere near as good as a brushed aluminum or flat steel finish. I like elegance in cases these days

Huh?

Thing to hold your mouse cord so it doesn't get caught on the edge of your desk. Means you have consistent pull everytime you use your mouse. So here's a video of one in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAo3QwnPruc

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Why is your timing so bad for the people in Canada and the US?! It's 11-2 depending on your time zone. Either work or school is the issue. I'm still in class until 210 and don't get home till 2:40. Well maybe next time

AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.5ghz      Evga gtx 660       SilverStone FT03      Samsung 840 128gb  

I won't be able to make the stream however having sat down with Cooler Master's Aussie reps last week for a few hours seeing the new products, here's some feedback:

• black or preferably braided fan cables on AIO water coolers
  • Black or preferably sleeved cables for higher end PSU's
  • Cable sleeve kits similar to the ones available from Corsair on their AXi and similar PSU's. Do not use flat cabling as it is a pain in the ass for the 24 pin and 8 pin PCI ones.
  • Move away from the overly plasticy HAF series. Fractal and Corsairs simple yet elegant cases I've noticed sell a lot better atleast here in Australia
  • Add onboard fan filters to PSU's - no one else does it.

Also really make a fuss in advertising over your new PCB layout in the platinum PSU's which allows for better airflow.

There may be more but that's what I remember from now.

haaaaa.... us and canada only

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

"Please note the giveaway is (unfortunately) USA and Canada only, but anyone can tune in!"

I dont get it...What do you mean when you say "unfortunately"?!  Does Cooler Master play on US & Canadian territory only, or are they taking good money from customers all over the world? Did they by chance leave you with the impression they couldnt affort postage across the pond or something?!

How much do YOU pull to get these done so your entire fanbase can participate?

And please dont offend our intellegence with the old "Its Cooler Master NorthAmerica thats hosting this ...." You and brands the size of Cooler Master are well aware that the Internet is a global platform. You dont have the same expenses running a commercial on community TV in Grand Rapids, Michigan as if you wanted to place them on every single BBC channel around the world. Wal Mart isnt pulling their entire marketing budget out of a local store in Pasadena are they?

Im saying that Cooler Master and all the other major hardware manufacturers are well capable of making contest like these worlwide events.

Is it fair to bring such annoyance...even letting a large group of your fans down..... so that Cooler Master can save a few dollars on postage?

Listen Linus - You have a huge international following....and Cooler Master makes good money on a global scale.

I find it cheap and poor judgement for global players to put such restrictions in place.

If ANYONE has the ability to make large worldwide operating companies like Cooler Master also make their contest and givaways worldwide events - in respect of all their fans and customers.... I should think forums like LTT had a decent chance....

That is if you and your team felt it neccesary to include your...entire community.

Fractal Design Define R5 White/Window / Intel 4790K / EVGA Z97 FTW / EVGA G2 750W / Sapphire R9 390 Nitro  / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Corsair Force Series GT 240GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB - HGST Ultrastar  4TB / 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2600Mhz DDR3 / Cryorig H7 Lumi Edt. /

yes! it's in the evening in my time zone! (20:00)

"20:00 on Thursday? YES! Finally I might make it into a stream like this and i may win someth" *scroll* "USA/Canada only..."

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

"Please note the giveaway is (unfortunately) USA and Canada only, but anyone can tune in!"

I dont get it...What do you mean when you say "unfortunately"?!  Does Cooler Master play on US & Canadian territory only, or are they taking good money from customers all over the world? Did they by chance leave you with the impression they couldnt affort postage across the pond or something?!

How much do YOU pull to get these done so your entire fanbase can participate?

And please dont offend our intellegence with the old "Its Cooler Master NorthAmerica thats hosting this ...." You and brands the size of Cooler Master are well aware that the Internet is a global platform. You dont have the same expenses running a commercial on community TV in Grand Rapids, Michigan as if you wanted to place them on every single BBC channel around the world. Wal Mart isnt pulling their entire marketing budget out of a local store in Pasadena are they?

Im saying that Cooler Master and all the other major hardware manufacturers are well capable of making contest like these worlwide events.

Is it fair to bring such annoyance...even letting a large group of your fans down..... so that Cooler Master can save a few dollars on postage?

Listen Linus - You have a huge international following....and Cooler Master makes good money on a global scale.

I find it cheap and poor judgement for global players to put such restrictions in place.

If ANYONE has the ability to make large worldwide operating companies like Cooler Master also make their contest and givaways worldwide events - in respect of all their fans and customers.... I should think forums like LTT had a decent chance....

That is if you and your team felt it neccesary to include your...entire community.

Every country has different laws and taxes involved when it comes to any giveaway, sweepstakes or contest. The more countries you involve, the more work is required to make sure you are in compliance with those laws. So before you start bashing them, calling them "cheap" and claiming they have "poor judgement", how about you go and look into exactly what it would take to do some kind of global giveaway.

Also, just because Cooler Master is "sponsoring" the giveaway by providing the prizes, it does not mean Cooler Master is willing to foot the bill to run this as an international contest. Can CM afford it, of course they could, but that does not mean that they feel that the exposure they will get from this Q&A will be enough to justify that expense. That is the ONLY reason why anyone or any company does giveaways or contests, because they did the math and determined that the cost of the giveaway will be covered by the revenue they received from the increased business they get from the contest.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Hopefully I will be there to win like Charlie Sheen.  Eh maybe I can win enough free stuff this year to put together a pc and sell it to take care of some more important things.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S