Best Laptop for Engineering School

School is coming up and I will need to get a laptop sooner or later. I am going into an engineering program so I will need a laptop which is able to handle decent computational tasks like CAD.This means I will likely need some kind of dedicated GPU in addition to a decently powerful CPU. The search has left me with a bit of a predicament as I feel like I am left with two options. I can get a cheaper laptop which just fits the necessary specs and nothing more, or I can get one which will push the performance of my desktop which would justify me selling it to fund the laptop. My desktop runs a strix 1070, ryzen 5 3600x, 16gb ddr4 and nvme drive. Higher end laptops like the ROG Zephyrus G14 (the one with the 2060 and ryzen 9 at $2500 CAD) are stupid expensive however they also would basically surpass my PC altogether meaning I could sell it and just daily drive the laptop for everything. At the end of the day I would probably pay a similar amount if not even less than if I were to get something like a HP OMEN 15-ek0020ca or a Lenovo Legion Y540 ($1400-1800CAD). The HP and the Lenovo would suit my needs most likely but the irony is I would be spending more on the cheaper system if it is not powerful enough to replace my pc. I am not set on these options, they are just examples of my price point. Does anyone have any recommendations or some insight which can help me decide on what route I should go down? Ultimately I just need something which will fill the purpose and not look too gamer in class.

@Kd4lif3 Look for laptops with Ryzen 4000 series CPU. Great performance with equally great battery life as compared to current Intel offerings.

1 minute ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

@Kd4lif3 Look for laptops with Ryzen 4000 series CPU. Great performance with equally great battery life as compared to current Intel offerings.

yeah ive heard a bit about that. Any specific suggestions? It seems like a lot of systems are still on the Intel bandwagon.

11 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

School is coming up and I will need to get a laptop sooner or later. I am going into an engineering program so I will need a laptop which is able to handle decent computational tasks like CAD.This means I will likely need some kind of dedicated GPU in addition to a decently powerful CPU. The search has left me with a bit of a predicament as I feel like I am left with two options. I can get a cheaper laptop which just fits the necessary specs and nothing more, or I can get one which will push the performance of my desktop which would justify me selling it to fund the laptop. My desktop runs a strix 1070, ryzen 5 3600x, 16gb ddr4 and nvme drive. Higher end laptops like the ROG Zephyrus G14 (the one with the 2060 and ryzen 9 at $2500 CAD) are stupid expensive however they also would basically surpass my PC altogether meaning I could sell it and just daily drive the laptop for everything. At the end of the day I would probably pay a similar amount if not even less than if I were to get something like a HP OMEN 15-ek0020ca or a Lenovo Legion Y540 ($1400-1800CAD). The HP and the Lenovo would suit my needs most likely but the irony is I would be spending more on the cheaper system if it is not powerful enough to replace my pc. I am not set on these options, they are just examples of my price point. Does anyone have any recommendations or some insight which can help me decide on what route I should go down? Ultimately I just need something which will fill the purpose and not look too gamer in class.

Look for a more reasonable Ryzen 4000 laptop. The Lenovo Legion 5, Acer Nitro 5, Asus A15, HP Omen 15 and Eluktronics RP-15 are all fantastic options.

And for context, a Ryzen 5 4600H is faster, cooler and more efficient than an i7 10750H

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Asus A15

Has it been fixed?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Has it been fixed?

Just avoid the 2060 model. The other two appear to be fine. Apparently the 2060 is too much for the cooler since the 1650 and 1660 models run under 90C

Look into what computer facilities your school provides. Most (at least in the UK) will have labs full of quadro machines for you to use or remote into. As a student I would prioritise battery life and portability over power. Well designed assignments will not require students to have powerful personal computers.

I'd personally go for a Ryzen 4000 based machine.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Just avoid the 2060 model. The other two appear to be fine. Apparently the 2060 is too much for the cooler since the 1650 and 1660 models run under 90C

Too much for the cooler or too much for the plastic heat/airflow shields? lol

rsz_62acaaf8fe7c92778eeaa335a1ed5805.png.333b78a5607490c11f60152f0bce41a7.png

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

What is the opinion on this system? https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-14-gaming-laptop-grey-amd-ryzen-7-4800hs-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-gtx-1660ti-en/14575596

I feel like it strikes a good balance and checks a lot of boxes for me. Plus it is 14" which is convenient. Unfortunately it is nonexistent in Canada and is also super marked up compared to the models availability in the states. Are there more systems like this and the A15 which I should look into?

3 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

What is the opinion on this system? https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-14-gaming-laptop-grey-amd-ryzen-7-4800hs-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-gtx-1660ti-en/14575596

I feel like it strikes a good balance and checks a lot of boxes for me. Plus it is 14" which is convenient. Unfortunately it is nonexistent in Canada and is also super marked up compared to the models availability in the states. Are there more systems like this and the A15 which I should look into?

The G14 is excellent and one of the best laptops for 2020. Highly recommended.

11 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Too much for the cooler or too much for the plastic heat/airflow shields? lol

rsz_62acaaf8fe7c92778eeaa335a1ed5805.png.333b78a5607490c11f60152f0bce41a7.png

Both. The 2060 is just a notch too much. The 1660 Ti model should top out at 85 and the 1640 Ti tops out at 80 even with the limited airflow

10 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The G14 is excellent and one of the best laptops for 2020. Highly recommended.

Haha if only it was actually available here. I just came across this option as well 

https://www.costco.ca/hp-omen-15-en0010ca-gaming-laptop%2c-amd-ryzen-7-4800h.product.100673520.html

Ryzen 7 and 1660ti, sans extra gamer look and it is pretty affordable too. 

I should mention that the A15 is only available in the 2060 version on amazon unless i jump to the 17 which I do not feel like doing.

1 hour ago, Kd4lif3 said:

Haha if only it was actually available here. I just came across this option as well 

https://www.costco.ca/hp-omen-15-en0010ca-gaming-laptop%2c-amd-ryzen-7-4800h.product.100673520.html

Ryzen 7 and 1660ti, sans extra gamer look and it is pretty affordable too. 

I should mention that the A15 is only available in the 2060 version on amazon unless i jump to the 17 which I do not feel like doing.

The Omen 15 is also excellent. I approve.