How old must you be to get a business license?

I'm <removed by staff> but I made a software to do custom measured pc wraps. My teacher said I should think of setting up a online store making made to measure pc wraps. 

But my dad says I need to get a business license before doing so. 

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

I quick google search reveals you have to be 18 to get a business license

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz OC 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital RE2 400 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 3 GB SC GAMING Video Card 
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit 
Monitor: Dell ST2410 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor 
Monitor: NEC LCD1960NXi 19.0" 1280x1024 60 Hz Monitor 
Keyboard: Alienware AW768 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - White Shadow Wired Optical Mouse 
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 PRO  Headphones 

4 minutes ago, Perrytheplatypus43 said:

18, i guess I'll have to wait then. 

Well at least I can still do wraps for my friends and their systems. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

1 minute ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

18, i guess I'll have to wait then. 

Well at least I can still do wraps for my friends and their systems. 

you might be able to sell them on etsy the minimum age is 13 

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz OC 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital RE2 400 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 3 GB SC GAMING Video Card 
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit 
Monitor: Dell ST2410 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor 
Monitor: NEC LCD1960NXi 19.0" 1280x1024 60 Hz Monitor 
Keyboard: Alienware AW768 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - White Shadow Wired Optical Mouse 
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 PRO  Headphones 

Rules and regulations for that vary by country and many other factors. If where you are located is anything like the USA, there will be different types of licenses and types of companies you could register to start. If you can tell where you are located, I’ll try and do some research for you. But I won’t be able to give you an exact answer.

7 minutes ago, Perrytheplatypus43 said:

That is saying you need to be 18 to sign a contract. As a minor, op could have an adult sign with them and take partial responsibility. There are many companies around the world started by people under 18.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

You have to look into the laws and regulations in your country, province/state possibly even in the municipality as well.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

29 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I'm <removed by staff> but I made a software to do custom measured pc wraps. My teacher said I should think of setting up a online store making made to measure pc wraps. 

But my dad says I need to get a business license before doing so. 

In the US (if that is where you live) you don't need a business license if you are self-employed. As a software designer I don't believe you need one BUT check with your respective State I only know that this applies in Iowa with certainty. I'm self Employed so I know but I have an LLC for insurance purposes due to my type of work.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Australia you can register as a sole trader from 15, with guardian consent you can begin a proprietary limited business and obtain an abn from 13. although the ATO will generally audit you at that age if you put through a taxable income (usually assuming your parents are funneling money using your name) 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 hour ago, zeusthemoose said:

Rules and regulations for that vary by country and many other factors. If where you are located is anything like the USA, there will be different types of licenses and types of companies you could register to start. If you can tell where you are located, I’ll try and do some research for you. But I won’t be able to give you an exact answer.

That is saying you need to be 18 to sign a contract. As a minor, op could have an adult sign with them and take partial responsibility. There are many companies around the world started by people under 18.

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

In the US (if that is where you live) you don't need a business license if you are self-employed. As a software designer I don't believe you need one BUT check with your respective State I only know that this applies in Iowa with certainty. I'm self Employed so I know but I have an LLC for insurance purposes due to my type of work.

I live in Singapore 

1 hour ago, it_dont_work said:

Australia you can register as a sole trader from 15, with guardian consent you can begin a proprietary limited business and obtain an abn from 13. although the ATO will generally audit you at that age if you put through a taxable income (usually assuming your parents are funneling money using your name) 

Sorry I don't understand, I plan to charge maybe $25 for ink and materials and $10 profit so about $35 and extra if I have to mail overseas not sure how much profit I'll get since Ill have to pay the school for the use of the giant printer. Right now I can't do in-house application umtil covid dies. So it's only made to measure then owner apply it themselves. the business idea from the fractal design R7 wraps jayz did. 

13 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Sorry I don't understand, I plan to charge maybe $25 for ink and materials and $10 profit so about $35 and extra if I have to mail overseas not sure how much profit I'll get since Ill have to pay the school for the use of the giant printer. Right now I can't do in-house application until covid dies. So it's only made to measure then owner apply it themselves. the business idea from the fractal design R7 wraps jayz did. 

if you're Australian just look up the regs with the ATO or your states small business center, it's not hard to find information mate. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

6 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

if you're Australian just look up the regs with the ATO or your states small business center, it's not hard to find information mate. 

No I'm Singaporean in Singapore. 

7 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I live in Singapore 

Here is a very good resource I found that should help you with the basics. I would recommend reading those and developing your idea as far as possible. Then I would talk to a local official or if Singapore has one, a small business association to make sure you have everything right and get help with attaining whatever licenses and permits you decide to go for.

https://www.guidemesingapore.com/business-guides/industry-guides/ecommerce-industry

7 hours ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

I plan to charge maybe $25 for ink and materials and $10 profit so about $35 and extra if I have to mail overseas not sure how much profit I'll get since Ill have to pay the school for the use of the giant printer.

Before you can decide a price, you need to know your costs. So figure out what material you are using, how much it costs, where you will source it from, order size requirements, and anything else you think you might need to know. Also, figure out what the school will charge you to print and make sure your material is compatible with the school’s printer. Also know that in many cases you need licenses and permits in other countries you plan to sell in if you do sell internationally. Once you do all that and get a cost to make each wrap, you can decide your price.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

27 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Here is a very good resource I found that should help you with the basics. I would recommend reading those and developing your idea as far as possible. Then I would talk to a local official or if Singapore has one, a small business association to make sure you have everything right and get help with attaining whatever licenses and permits you decide to go for.

https://www.guidemesingapore.com/business-guides/industry-guides/ecommerce-industry

Before you can decide a price, you need to know your costs. So figure out what material you are using, how much it costs, where you will source it from, order size requirements, and anything else you think you might need to know. Also, figure out what the school will charge you to print and make sure your material is compatible with the school’s printer. Also know that in many cases you need licenses and permits in other countries you plan to sell in if you do sell internationally. Once you do all that and get a cost to make each wrap, you can decide your price.

Thanks for the advice I'll check the link