My PC won't boot to Windows from my M.2 SSD

Seco

Here's my specs! 

Ryzen 7 3700X. 

MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk. 

32 GB GSkill DDR4 RAM. 

Asus RTX 2060 Super. 

1 T WD Blue M.2 SSD

Thermaltake 80+ Gold certified 750 Watt PSU. 

Segotep Argus mid Tower Chassis. 

Windows 10 Home x64

BiOS version: E7C91AMS.A10 (Updated from factory version) 

So I cloned my old HDD over to my M.2 drive on my new PC. The migration was successful. But after restarting the system. It won't boot to the M.2 drive. I check the BiOS and my drive is visible. But there's no option to boot from the M.2 drive. 

Not sure why it's like this. The M.2 drive appears as a SanDisk G5 for some reason. That's also strange. Any feedback would be appreciated! 

20200805_192418.jpg

20200805_184406.jpg

Edited by Seco
Forgot to add my Windows version

@BlueScope819 Looks like I don't have that option. I'll try looking through the manual really quick. 

15966781817987917693385318187450.jpg

The manual doesn't say anything about the M.2 drive from what I can tell. One of the troubleshooting steps says I should "Clear the CMOS". Should I try that step? 

17 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Press the button in startup to boot from the M.2, it's like F10 or something check your board manual

3 minutes ago, Seco said:

The manual doesn't say anything about the M.2 drive from what I can tell. One of the troubleshooting steps says I should "Clear the CMOS". Should I try that step? 

Yes you should try it ( quote )

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

That's not what I'm talking about. I googled it for you, press and hold F11 when you are starting your PC to select the M.2 SSD. If it doesn't work after you did that, you screwed up your flash.

F if he screwed it up

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

That's not what I'm talking about. I googled it for you, press and hold F11 when you are starting your PC to select the M.2 SSD. If it doesn't work after you did that, you screwed up your flash.

Ah, sorry for my ignorance. Looks like there's nothing showing up in that screen. 

15966790946647626968576882281353.jpg

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

You fucked up then. I assume you didn't wipe your HDD? You need to flash the contents not just copy the files.

I did not wipe the HDD. I loaded a flash drive with Macrium Reflect and clone all of the partitions over from the old drive. The software said the process was 100% successful. But I guess something went wrong. 

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Go ahead and try again. I believe I used a similar program but I was booted to my HDD at the time, and I did not have any problems. I did not use a flash drive.

I should probably just place the HDD into the sata port and actually boot from it. Then I can use the windows software version to clone the partitions. I didn't do this step because unfortunately I lent my system to my friend who appearently was using it in a meth house. Therefore all of my old system's components are deemed "contaminated". So I used an external drive dock to clone the HDD to the SSD. I'll give this a shot. Give me some time to get through this process and I'll let you know the results. 

I do appreciate the help. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I think you need some new friends.

He's a clean guy, his dad rented out a couple rooms to some questionable people who used the drug. So the whole house got contaminated and condemned over the course of a year. He was able to sneak in and recover my drives for me. Sadly the rest of the hardware got dull dozed. He payed me back for the lost hardware though. So all is good. 

I don't want to know what contaminated means in the context of meth, it does not sound like something I would ever want to mess with after reading that.

Regardless, you can try and flash your drive while booted.

I have to handle the drive with gloves. It's very unfortunate... I'll just let the drive sit outside the rest of the system so my fans don't blow any "contaminents" to the new parts. 

It supposedly has meth microbes on it that can spread easily with airflow. I have it sitting inside a ziplock bag currently. I've wiped it down with an alcohol wipe and electronic cleaning wipe for an added safety measure. 

6 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

So what's actually on the drive? (physically) You could put it in a ziplock bag.

It supposedly has meth microbes on it that can spread easily with airflow. I have it sitting inside a ziplock bag currently. I've wiped it down with an alcohol wipe and electronic cleaning wipe for an added safety measure. 

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Oh god... that does not sound like a good time. Good luck with your copy.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. 

2 hours ago, Seco said:

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. 

@BlueScope819 Welp. After many restarts. I got into windows off of the HDD and I'm currently running Macrium. 

15966908844972670898605934821577.jpg

Just out of curiosity.. why are you cloning the HDD onto the NVMe?
Why not just do a clean and fresh win10 install on the NVMe and afterwards only copy the files from your HDD that you actually want to keep. 

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

9 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Just out of curiosity.. why are you cloning the HDD onto the NVMe?
Why not just do a clean and fresh win10 install on the NVMe and afterwards only copy the files from your HDD that you actually want to keep. 

Will that bring over my windows key as well? I don't have the key code anymore physically. So unless it's tied to my Microsoft account. This is my only way to keep my windows liscence. 

Just now, Seco said:

Will that bring over my windows key as well? I don't have the key code anymore physically. So unless it's tied to my Microsoft account. This is my only way to keep my windows liscence. 

Its also tied to the MB. As long as you still have the same MB, you dont need to have it physically. I dont have my key anymore either, but i do a fresh install of win10 at least once a year. Just click through the install progress with "i dont have a key" (or whatever comes up then) and as soon as it is installed, it will be activated through your MB.
BUT i dont know if that is also the case if the key is already tied to your mircrosoft account.. you might wanna look that up before or maybe someone else can help with further explanation here. 

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

I don't. I only have the HDD from my original pc. Everything was destroyed but my Drive. 

Welp. Looks like it's not gonna work properly. No matter what I do. It's fine though. I'm going to refresh my CMOS and load a drive up with Windows installer. I'll see what I can do after that. Most likely getting a new license key this weekend off of the Microsoft Exchange store on Reddit. I thank you all for your help in this. I'm sure I'll be able to plug my old HDD in and gather a couple of things off of it. But I'm just done with messing with it at this point. I can't go another night fiddling with it until 3 am. 

Once again, thanks for the help.