Dumpster dive... / OMG!! free stuff

Vonplaf

We have this small shed where i live that all the tenants can dump their old electronics in for recycling.

Sooo ... being a tech hoarder when I see stuff there i had to bring crap home  ;)
And i am most likely gonna throw it all back there after some time coming to realize that i dont have any use for most of it..

So this month alone i have scored.

Xbox 360 in box, PSU, Controller and headset .
Huawei mediapad t3 10 
Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard
Intel Xeon e5 1650 CPU

Gotta stop dragging old tech home.... UHHH SQUIRREL....i mean UHH TECH ... DAMN!! 😀😀😀

IMG_20200710_200802.thumb.jpg.1f295f5fb2402708a58feaf462be165e.jpg

IMG_20200710_200913.thumb.jpg.f943544598fbd28e1885a56cf5962da9.jpg

IMG_20200803_195904.thumb.jpg.8e0462837b7b34150031712ce190ad80.jpg

IMG_20200805_213413.thumb.jpg.28cf2489e171a100da9a8de3e45c42bb.jpg

IMG_20200805_213442.thumb.jpg.00f20d011fc9d4056eaafd891289f970.jpg

Fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, if you weren't in Denmark I'd probably buy that Sabertooth board off you...sadly, shipping will likely make it not worth it for me.

I absolutely love the styling of X58/79 Sabertooth boards. Gorgeous, imo.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 hours ago, Vonplaf said:

Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard
Intel Xeon e5 1650 CPU

That's a massive score! Does it work?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Damn son. Im surprised someone who bothered to keep the box of a 360 would just throw it away like that. Though... does it work that's the question.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Damn son. Im surprised someone who bothered to keep the box of a 360 would just throw it away like that. Though... does it work that's the question.

It works but the DVD drive is bad and wont read discs.. but i guess its an easy fix...
but i already have a xbox 360 so dont really need it, think i am gonna try and fix it and drop it on facebook marketplace for cheap... as it was kinda free for me ;)

The Huawei tablet i also found was wiped it for old data, cleaned it up and flipped it on facebook marketplace for 300DKK / approx 50USD yesterday evening.. 💰

Always been tempted to do a XBox 360 pc build.

You can jack a lot of free stuff from apartment dumpsters. Cabinets, tables & old computer stuff is worthless for a landlord to sell. 

Even some semi modern computer stuff isn’t worth sifting through. If they can’t pay rent, they can’t get a titan gpu. 

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

If they can’t pay rent, they can’t get a titan gpu. 

Or maybe the Titan RTX is why they can't afford to pay rent xD

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Or maybe the Titan RTX is why they can't afford to pay rent xD

I worked in a soup kitchen once. I saw so many smart phones... it was also like 2011~2012. 

I went back to the "dumpster" area today... came back with an older coolermaster case and a 120mm fan.

Cleaned up everything and used a PSU some DDR3 ram and a REALLY crappy GPU i had to put it all together and now the Xeon e5 1650 and x79 board is running smooth.
Almost 2000 in Cinebench R20.. ;)

Behold.... The dumpster dive build..

Beat up Cooler Master Elite 310 case (Dumpster find)

120mm Cooler Master fan zip tied to the cooler tower (Dumpster find)

CPU cooler (Dumpster find)

140mm unknown case fan (Dumpster find)
2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram (had these already)
128 GB Kingston SSD (had this already)

Unknown crappy GPU with only DVI, VGA and Super VHS (Dumpster find)
No-name 600Watt PSU (had this already)

IMG_20200806_161809.thumb.jpg.c3acf12255d92a2d3a75787fda9fbef1.jpg

1 hour ago, fpo said:

I worked in a soup kitchen once. I saw so many smart phones... it was also like 2011~2012. 

I had sadly a similar experience when I offered private tutoring for free for children from "poor" families. I looked like the poor guy in comparison. I since think the welfare system in Germany is broken.

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

I had sadly a similar experience when I offered private tutoring for free for "poor" families. I looked like the poor guy in comparison. I since think the welfare system in Germany is broken.

The previous company i worked at, we at the end of the year looked over all the old laptops and desktop computer and asked with in the company if any one knew family or friends that did not have the resources to own an ok computer and then those people would be given one of the "older" computers 2+ years old and out of warranty via the person in the company that knew those people.

I have personally handed over a nice laptop from the IT department to a friend of mines kid for free.... an awesome feeling. 

6 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I had sadly a similar experience when I offered private tutoring for free for children from "poor" families. I looked like the poor guy in comparison. I since think the welfare system in Germany is broken.

Not to derail but yeah, same story with my friend. His family was debating going on welfare in the USA & my friend told me that his mom said "Maybe we should hide that new TV we just bought."

Anyway, to the back on topic, that's awesome. You should start a YouTube channel about building PCs from reclaimed electronics.

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

Not to derail but yeah, same story with my friend. His family was debating going on welfare in the USA & my friend told me that his mom said "Maybe we should hide that new TV we just bought."

Anyway, to the back on topic, that's awesome. You should start a YouTube channel about building PCs from reclaimed electronics.

Nope not gonna start a youtube channel.

I'm the kind of person you do not allow on speakerphone... ;) if you know what i mean...hahahaha

15 minutes ago, Vonplaf said:

Nope not gonna start a youtube channel.

I'm the kind of person you do not allow on speakerphone... ;) if you know what i mean...hahahaha

Squeaker? So what?
Ask an older individual to narrate your script.
If you pick a girl, you'll totally get wayyy more subscribers.

Scoring working Xbox 360 controllers are pure gold for those who still don't have controllers for PC.

Many people discard them because of the dpad being crappy or partially working, yet not only are they easy to open up and fix (with the right screwdrivers), but there are mods you can do to make the dpad function much more reactive, and all it takes is a thin cardboard type laminated business card cut out in a circle, after cleaning the insides of the dpad.  Then unless the analog sticks fail, the only remaining point of failure is a short in the non detachable cable itself.

Btw in some countries dumpstering might be illegal.. though as always you should see if it's reinforced or not

Anyway some years ago was easy to find stuff, now I noticed that people do usually throw stuff in the middle of nowhere (and polluting) like I've seen fridges throwen in the middle of some rivers, why the heck..

• 3 weeks later...

Someone had thrown this in the trash.. 27" ips pls. No power brick so I assumed that it expired in the recent thunder storm.

DSC02963.JPG

Edited by Sealance
PLS not IPS :)