First Build plan - Need help with specs.

Hi guys,

New to this forum. I am from India and I am planning to build my first gaming pc soon. It will not be a FPS killer but won't be a piece of crap either.

Specs are as follows -

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 3800x (xts are not yet available on amazon in my country)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 super Windforce OC

Ram: XPG ADATA GAMMIX D30 DDR4 2X8GB 3200

MHz

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 UD

SDD: CRUCIAL P1 500GB NAND NVMe

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

Cooler: Antec Kühler H2O K240

PSU: Gigabyte GP-B700H 700W 80+ bronze

Cabinet: ANT esports ICE-300TG

Accessories are pretty basic gaming stuff from local(or chinese knock off) brands.

My budget is around USD 2k for the whole build.

However, before recommending please be aware that the prices of normal computer hardware here is about 40-60% higher than in major western countries.

Also, I am aware of the upcoming Nvidia 30xx series line up, and the upcoming AMD Zen 3 CPUs. It is just that in case they fit in similar(maybe +100 usd tops) budget, it would be okay, otherwise I might not upgrade to them.

Lastly, these parts might not be too popular in your country so please check them out at amazon.in.

I would really be grateful if you can suggest better config in the same budget(country pricing in mind) or please point me towards things that would be terrible in this build.

3 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

Switch it for a 3700x and used the saved money for a better PSU. 

Get a 3700X. It's better value and for the love of all that is sacred, get a power supply that costs more than an average cheeseburger and 6-pack bundle. You have a 300$ CPU and a 5000$ card on a 45$ power supply.

You also don't need a 240mm AIO. Ryzen 7 CPUs are easy to cool so a mid range air cooler is all that you'll ever need. A Far Rock Slim is ideal.

Furthermore, the Seagate Barracuda drives are notoriously unreliable and prone to failure. Get a WD Black or BLue.

Also get a boot SSD with a DRAM cache. Some of the HP Elite Models or a Crucial MX500. While you're at it, I'd personally also move to an Asus X570 TuF board due to the better VRM and BIOS

Personally I'd go with the 3700x and possibly drop an OC on it to save a little money. That money could be used to get a bigger SSD or faster RAM. 

That PSU though... Swap that out for sure! Grab a good quality 500W PSU IMO rather than a shitty 700W PSU.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, gloop said:

Switch it for a 3700x and used the saved money for a better PSU. 

I thought of the same but when you search for 650w psu on Amazon.in, it is very difficult to find a cheaper PSU with a better rating. This actually is the cheapest, and best(80+ bronze) rated PSU there. If I go for a gold rated one the budget would go up by over 100$, which is 3 times the saving for on making the said move.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You also don't need a 240mm AIO. Ryzen 7 CPUs are easy to cool so a mid range air cooler is all that you'll ever need. A Far Rock Slim is ideal.

Furthermore, the Seagate Barracuda drives are notoriously unreliable and prone to failure. Get a WD Black or BLue.

Also get a boot SSD with a DRAM cache. Some of the HP Elite Models or a Crucial MX500. While you're at it, I'd personally also move to an Asus X570 TuF board due to the better VRM and BIOS

Ok all seems good but this just blast d my budget through the roof. Asus Tuf is expensive here. My mobo cost is $200 and Asus Tuf is $300

2 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

I thought of the same but when you search for 650w psu on Amazon.in, it is very difficult to find a cheaper PSU with a better rating. This actually is the cheapest, and best(80+ bronze) rated PSU there. If I go for a gold rated one the budget would go up by over 100$, which is 3 times the saving for on making the said move.

Don't simply use the 80+ rating to know if a PSU is good or not, we have a whole list here on the forum!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

The whole system won't consume more than 350w under extreme load (P95 + Furmark simultaneously) so you can run it with a 450w, though I'd suggest a good 550w like a TXM, RMx or Straight Power 11.

It makes me really glad that everyone is pitching in. thank you so much. I understand everyone hates my PSU 😂. Please suggest a better one, preferably from Amazon.in.

1 minute ago, gloop said:

The whole system won't consume more than 350w under extreme load (P95 + Furmark simultaneously) so you can run it with a 450w, though I'd suggest a good 550w like a TXM, RMx or Straight Power 11.

Sure will give it a look.

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Don't simply use the 80+ rating to know if a PSU is good or not, we have a whole list here on the forum!

Thank you. This makes my life a lot easier.

It makes me really glad that everyone is pitching in. thank you so much. I understand everyone hates my PSU 😂. Please suggest a better one, preferably from Amazon.in.

SeaSonic Core GM, Corsair TXM, Be Quiet Pure Power Gold, Cooler Master MWE Gold, Super Flower Leadex III Gold

4 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

Ok all seems good but this just blast d my budget through the roof. Asus Tuf is expensive here. My mobo cost is $200 and Asus Tuf is $300

What about a B550 Strix? Should be around 160-180 and will have more features and a better firmware implementation.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

What about a B550 Strix? Should be around 160-180 and will have more features and a better firmware implementation.

Um..i thought X570 was better than B550, was it not released with the xt line up of CPUs and provided future proofing?

1 hour ago, Kjhanjee said:

Um..i thought X570 was better than B550, was it not released with the xt line up of CPUs and provided future proofing?

Unless you intend to use tons of PCI 4.0 SSDs, B550 is excellent and boards such as the B550 Strix are extremely good options.

11 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Unless you intend to use tons of PCI 4.0 SSDs, B550 is excellent and boards such as the B550 Strix are extremely good options.

Not as of right now, but maybe one year down the line if I feel like upgrading, with x570 i have the option, that is my logic behind it.

Made a few changes as per the suggestions here.

PSU - Antec EA750G pro 80+ Gold. (+ ~$40)

SSD - WD BLUE SN500(There are only 2, 500GB NVMe drives listed here, rest are 200-240 gigs) (+ ~$20)

HDD - WD Blue WD20EZAZ 2TB 5400 RPM (- ~$10)(rest are surveillance HDDs) 

I am still sticking to the cooler, as I plan to OC the CPU ans would like to avoid any possibilities of thermal throttling. 

I wanted to go for a good Noctua cooler, but they start from $200 here at Amazon. I don't think there is any retailer that directly gets these from the company. The retailers listing these are importing them separately.

Made a few changes as per the suggestions here.

PSU - Antec EA750G pro 80+ Gold. (+ ~$40)

SSD - WD BLUE SN500(There are only 2, 500GB NVMe drives listed here, rest are 200-240 gigs) (+ ~$20)

HDD - WD Blue WD20EZAZ 2TB 5400 RPM (- ~$10)(rest are surveillance HDDs) 

I am still sticking to the cooler, as I plan to OC the CPU ans would like to avoid any possibilities of thermal throttling. 

I wanted to go for a good Noctua cooler, but they start from $200 here at Amazon. I don't think there is any retailer that directly gets these from the company. The retailers listing these are importing them separately.

The cooler is still useless. Even the stock cooler allows the 3700X to run to its fullest. You don't overclock Ryzen at all, you enable PBO and you tune memory timings and subtimings. Spend the money on a better power supply and board.

Not as of right now, but maybe one year down the line if I feel like upgrading, with x570 i have the option, that is my logic behind it.

You can always upgrade, the question is do you have a use case for 5GB/s storage in sizes above 2TB

11 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The cooler is still useless. Even the stock cooler allows the 3700X to run to its fullest. You don't overclock Ryzen at all, you enable PBO and you tune memory timings and subtimings. Spend the money on a better power supply and board.

You can always upgrade, the question is do you have a use case for 5GB/s storage in sizes above 2TB

Hmmm you make a really good point. I will ponder over it for a while.

35 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

Hmmm you make a really good point. I will ponder over it for a while.

A Dark Rock Slim is the max you need on an 8-core AMD CPU to keep it cool and with PBO enabled. The Silent Wings fan is extremely quiet and the cooling performance is great. Use the saved money on a better quality power supply so as to make sure the system has top tier protections and won't suffer damage due to power issues that are inevitable in our modern day. I mean, even with the revamped power grid, I still suffer brownouts and power surges where I live. A good power supply is essential.

As for the board - the B550 Strix models are costly but excellent and the only drawback compared to X570 is the lower number of PCIe 4.0 slots (I believe the main x16 slot is PCIe 4.0 and the remained are mostly PCIe 3.0). But again, if you don't need massively fast SSDs then it's not an issue. WHat I mean is, unless you move thousands of Gigabytes of data per day, a regular NVMe or even SATA 3 SSD is plenty.