PC upgrade: 3440x1440 gaming (strong bottleneck?)

Cyziel

Budget (including currency): around 800€

Country: France (forgive my English if it's not accurate ;) )

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Black Desert Online, AC Origins, FFXIV, Overwatch, Anno 1800...

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

CPU: i7-5820K

GPU: Asus Strix 980 OC

Mem: 16Go 2133Mhz (DDR3)

MB: Gigabyte X99-UD3

PSU: Corsair CS850M

AIO: Corsair H115i

Monitor: Asus VG248Q

Hello everyone,

I hope I am in the right section.
I am planning on updating my computer by starting with an RX 5700 XT (either Gigabyte Gaming OC, or Red Devil) (and a new, bigger SSD actually).

The constraints on my side are as follows:

•      I am also looking to buy a widescreen curved monitor, and so, before I purchase a GPU or any component, I want to make sure I can game at the monitor's resolution with sufficent FPS and graphic detail because it really matters to me (So it's either 3440x1440 or 2560x1080, the later is an option if there is no way I can game at least a constant 60FPS with max details with a GPU in the range of 500€)
  •      My budget is limited right now, but it is possible that I could afford an i5-10600K with a Z490 MB and 16Go of DDR4 memory later on and I do not know which upgrade I should go with first (GPU? CPU? Monitor?)
  •      Therefore, I would like to be able to play Black Desert, for example, on Remastered mode, with the graphic details pushed as high as possible at a resolution of 3440x1440 at a constant 60 FPS at least, especially in towns, and possibly during boss fights (where the game can stop showing other players when there are too many onscreen).

I thank you for reading all of this and I would really appreciate it if someone would be so kind as to give me any advice on this project.

Thank you :)

Hi before you buy anything do know that both nvidia and amd are launching new gpu's (nvidia supposedly starting end this month amd a little later) and amd is launching their new ryzen 400 cpu's in fall.

So if you can just wait a bit and get a lot better card for the same price or the preferred performance target for cheaper. For now you can totally get a 3440x1440 monitor and just game at medium settings on a 9080 without much issue.

Do know that max settings in games barely look different from very high or whatever they call the teir below that. Usually the max settings are stupid amounts of AA, and a bunch of other things that are needlessly turned up without really showing much if any extra visual fidelity unless you start looking at things with your face basically glued to the screen :p.

Your current cpu is still a decent one especially if you oc it which really isn't hard to do.

As you already have a working PC, wait 1 more month until the new GPUs from NVIDIA are out. You'll need as much GPU power as possible, as 1440p ultrawide fits right between 1440p and 4K in terms of pixel count. In some games the 5700XT will struggle to hit 60 fps.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

You're not getting 1440p gaming out of that system currently, no matter what GPU you throw at it. Yes, you should consider a CPU, Mobo, and RAM upgrade, but if budget is tight, stop looking at Intel. For a 10th gen Intel and Z490 combo, you're going to spend probably twice as much as a really decent AMD and B450/B550 combo. Get a R5 3600 and a good B550 board. The two together will be the price of the 10600K alone, and the performance will be roughly equal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

As for the CPU, for 1440p ultrawide you really don't need a 10600K as the CPU is less and less important as you move up in resolution. Keep your current CPU and upgrade to a ryzen 4600 or 4700 in fall if you want a new CPU. A GPU upgrade is much more substantial at this resolution, try to dedicate as much of your budget to this as possible. For 800$ maybe you'll get the next gen version of the 2080 Super, which will crush 1440p ultrawide.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

You're not getting 1440p gaming out of that system currently, no matter what GPU you throw at it. Yes, you should consider a CPU, Mobo, and RAM upgrade, but if budget is tight, stop looking at Intel. For a 10th gen Intel and Z490 combo, you're going to spend probably twice as much as a really decent AMD and B450/B550 combo. Get a R5 3600 and a good B550 board. The two together will be the price of the 10600K alone, and the performance will be roughly equal.

The GPU is the only limiting factor here. Don't forget, the 5820K is a 6c/12t CPU. If overclocked it can hold up pretty good even with todays standards.

27 minutes ago, Cyziel said:

Budget (including currency): around 800€

Country: France (forgive my English if it's not accurate ;) )

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Black Desert Online, AC Origins, FFXIV, Overwatch, Anno 1800...

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

CPU: i7-5820K

GPU: Asus Strix 980 OC

Mem: 16Go 2133Mhz (DDR3)

MB: Gigabyte X99-UD3

PSU: Corsair CS850M

AIO: Corsair H115i

Monitor: Asus VG248Q

Hello everyone,

I hope I am in the right section.
I am planning on updating my computer by starting with an RX 5700 XT (either Gigabyte Gaming OC, or Red Devil) (and a new, bigger SSD actually).

The constraints on my side are as follows:

•      I am also looking to buy a widescreen curved monitor, and so, before I purchase a GPU or any component, I want to make sure I can game at the monitor's resolution with sufficent FPS and graphic detail because it really matters to me (So it's either 3440x1440 or 2560x1080, the later is an option if there is no way I can game at least a constant 60FPS with max details with a GPU in the range of 500€)
  •      My budget is limited right now, but it is possible that I could afford an i5-10600K with a Z490 MB and 16Go of DDR4 memory later on and I do not know which upgrade I should go with first (GPU? CPU? Monitor?)
  •      Therefore, I would like to be able to play Black Desert, for example, on Remastered mode, with the graphic details pushed as high as possible at a resolution of 3440x1440 at a constant 60 FPS at least, especially in towns, and possibly during boss fights (where the game can stop showing other players when there are too many onscreen).

I thank you for reading all of this and I would really appreciate it if someone would be so kind as to give me any advice on this project.

Thank you :)

I bought an NVIDIA 1060 3GB from eBay for 75-80£ and i can play Metro Exodus and RF2 in Triple Screen 5040x1050  48:10 aspect ratio. So with any newer card than mine you should be fine for 1440.

107644182_311138540055164_3977078106010218086_n.jpg.6e6915234c7dec7a89dc0a5b0067779a.jpg

116860878_615684346032923_635748114961131503_n.jpg

Thank you so much for all your answers, they shed a lot of light and they answer my questions thoroughly!
It seems more sensible to wait for the new GPUs, which I had no idea where coming out so soon, so thanks for that

Also, if I can avoid purchasing a new CPU and MB right now, and still ive of of my 5820K, it's a relief. (However, the price of the AMD 3600 with a 550 MB is so low compared to Intel... this is really a surprise, as I hadn’t looked into AMD processors at all)

Thank you again everyone!

PS: nice 3-monitor rig!