Silicon Power 1TB NVMe (SP001TBP34A80M28) Write Speed Issue

adikumar

I ran some benchmarks and I am getting very low write Seq. Q32T1 speed from few weeks in crystal disk mark. Originally Seq. Q32T1 write speed was always above 3000mbps when I bought it last year which is the advertised speed by company.

I am not sure what could be the issue. Maybe the SSD is fried ? Does anyone know?

Original Benchmark from last year:

old.png

Recent Bechmark :

New.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could send the SSD for RMA but problem is I don't want to reinstall everything. I have 2 external HDD lying around. So I can clone full disk image of my SSD into a USB HDD then when I get it back I can restore image on it. Can anyone let me know good software to do that.

Also I think first I need to create image of SSD onto an external HDD and then when I get it back I will have to install Windows on another spare HDD so I can restore that image back to the replaced SSD. It's very long and tedious process. Let me know if there is any easier method. I am not sure if its possible to restore the cloned image without installing any OS.

It's 73% full. SSDs and harddisks get slower the more they fill up. Have you accounted for that as well? This mostly affects writes.

Reads are still well within tolerances.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Tried the "optimizing"?

1ssd.thumb.png.c2e08101342b6663e1ff00fb830f413a.png

Of course as said before - the fuller the drive the slower it gets.

I edit my posts more often than not

There's different types of NAND. The most common is TLC because it gives a reasonable balance between performance and storage space. With TLC, each cell stores 3 bits, but each successive bit is harder to write to, and thus takes longer. The drive will start off writing one bit per cell (the fastest) and then multiple bits once each cell starts to fill up. At 73% capacity, every write is to the third bit in the cell, thus the slower performance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

image.png.1c1b8129266fb5a8551708506a3576ce.png

I just ran trim command in powershell but still same result

Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter YourDriveLetter -ReTrim -Verbose

Drive is around 65% full, so this slow speed is normal behavior and nothing can be done to fix it? and no point getting it replaced?

Yes. It's still not "slow" 1000MBps is a decent transfer speed, but yes, as the drive fills up, the slower it will be. That's true of all SSDs, so an RMA isn't going to help you. Though, a larger drive would. If it bothers you that much, upgrade to a 500GB or 1TB drive, and then you'll have plenty of headroom to maintain peak speeds.

Edit: I was looking at the other drive. You're already at a TB with this one, so maybe look into a 2TB drive. Still, it's not a huge issue to stick with what you have. You're still running faster than peak SATA, and in a lot of applications, like gaming, you won't notice a difference between SATA and NVMe anyways.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

someone suggested I can fix it by running a manual garbage collection. I have no idea what that is.

Just now, adikumar said:

someone suggested I can fix it by running a manual garbage collection. I have no idea what that is.

I don't either. They might be referring to TRIM, but you've already done that, and the issue here is capacity. TRIM is akin to defragmenting a HDD, so it can help with speed, but it's not going to get around the physics here.