Help! Computer not booting!

Louie Friesen
Go to solution Solved by BlackManINC,
45 minutes ago, Louie Friesen said:

I can try replacing the PSU (I'd do that first), because for a hackintosh, the mobo is quite specific. 

I think I'll get one of these:

Seasonic FOCUS GX-850

Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

Asus ROG Strix 850G (the OEM is Seasonic) 

I can always return the PSU if I have the same problem.

Yeah, either one of the Seasonic ones would be a good pick. I would steer clear of the Asus one only because its missing the Under Voltage Protection feature. 

Currently I'm writing this from my laptop because my gaming PC/hackintosh won't boot. I tried unplugging and replugging the power into the PSU multiple times, reconnecting the power cables, etc. 

When it was working, I'd turn on the PSU, and press the power button, the PSU would click (it always has) and then all the RGB turns on and it get the splash screen and can go into Clover, Windows, or the BIOS.

The problem with it not booting is when sometimes I would sleep the computer, then when I would try to wake it, it'd not turn on. What I would do then is try unplugging and replugging the power cord into the PSU, and fiddle with a few things and it would work, but now it doesn't. I repositioned some fans in my case earlier today, but it still worked completely fine after that. What would happen when I would flip the switch on the PSU on, (normally the motherboard lights would flash on, and they did sometimes), then press the power button, then the PSU would make a clicking noise, then nothing would happen (sometimes it would try again).

I'm thinking that maybe my PSU failed or something. It is a Corsair RM850x and I have been using it since the start of the year.

My current hardware is this if it makes any difference:

Intel Core i7 9700K

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT SE

32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 C16

Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum SE

Corsair RM850x

NZXT H510i

WD Black SN750 500GB (Windows)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (macOS)

Seagate BarraCuda 4TB

Fenvi T919 Wifi & BT card

Sorry but this was written in a hurry if I got any spelling mistakes.

I can provide any more info or a video if you need.

3 hours ago, Not Wills said:

We all write like this under pressure of our £1M rig not working, calm down and take a chill pill, reset the CMOS first, is the GPU or CPU fans spinning

No fan spin. No RGB. Nothing.

How do I reset the CMOS (keep in mind that I have the Ultra, not Master variation)?

3 hours ago, Not Wills said:

We all write like this under pressure of our £1M rig not working, calm down and take a chill pill, reset the CMOS first, is the GPU or CPU fans spinning

I'm thinking it's the PSU or motherboard.

I've got an extra GPU and RAM lying around so I think I'll try that just to see if it does anything.

6 hours ago, Not Wills said:

If you have a cheap old psu, you can check if any the hardware is brokeb, just don't put it underload or that psu will also break. I recommend using the ltt psu teir list and starting a new thread about PSUs.

It's a Corsair RM850x... I would be very surprised if it blew up...

I'll try resetting the CMOS.

There is SOME light when I flip the PSU switch on (the mobo's RGB flashes for about half a second, and it always has). Also, if I hold the power button long enough, the RAM's RGB turns on (it's G.Skill, so when sleeping, the RGB doesn't turn off unless if you are using the mobo's software to control it).

6 hours ago, Not Wills said:

To reset CMOS take out wait 30 sec and put it back in.

I reset the CMOS, and the same thing happened.

7 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

Might not be. It's confusing.

Do you think it's the mobo?

FYI, I also tried putting in different RAM, but I had the same results.

I think I'll open the back up and try replugging in all the power cables into the PSU, and also redoing all the power cables on the motherboard to make sure that they are all in properly.

4 hours ago, Louie Friesen said:

Do you think it's the mobo?

FYI, I also tried putting in different RAM, but I had the same results.

I think I'll open the back up and try replugging in all the power cables into the PSU, and also redoing all the power cables on the motherboard to make sure that they are all in properly.

I would replace the PSU first. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

28 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I would replace the PSU first. 

I can try replacing the PSU (I'd do that first), because for a hackintosh, the mobo is quite specific. 

Seasonic FOCUS GX-850

Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

45 minutes ago, Louie Friesen said:

Seasonic FOCUS GX-850

Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

Yeah, either one of the Seasonic ones would be a good pick. I would steer clear of the Asus one only because its missing the Under Voltage Protection feature. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

26 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Thx. Good to know.

Good news! I just tried booting this morning, this is what happened:

Pressed the power button, RGB lit up and fan spin. Then it turned off and rebooted, RGB lit up and fan spin. Then nothing just the mobo's RGB was on. I pressed the power button again and it went through a boot loop a few times (I was mashing F12, for boot drives), then finally my monitor turned on and then it said that the BIOS had been reset, and then I booted into macOS through Clover. I forgot to set the BIOS settings I had, so now my RAM runs at 2133, but that's ok with me right now.

Now I'm terrified to turn it off XD

52 minutes ago, Louie Friesen said:

Good news! I just tried booting this morning, this is what happened:

Pressed the power button, RGB lit up and fan spin. Then it turned off and rebooted, RGB lit up and fan spin. Then nothing just the mobo's RGB was on. I pressed the power button again and it went through a boot loop a few times (I was mashing F12, for boot drives), then finally my monitor turned on and then it said that the BIOS had been reset, and then I booted into macOS through Clover. I forgot to set the BIOS settings I had, so now my RAM runs at 2133, but that's ok with me right now.

Now I'm terrified to turn it off XD

🤔 So when you set the ram to its true speed at 3600 mhz before, was there an XMP profile available for it? it seems like you believe the ram is the problem. Did you get a new power supply yet?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 8/6/2020 at 10:35 AM, BlackManINC said:

🤔 So when you set the ram to its true speed at 3600 mhz before, was there an XMP profile available for it? it seems like you believe the ram is the problem. Did you get a new power supply yet?

So I haven't got a new PSU yet, but it is working just fine now. Since I reset the CMOS, the BIOS has been reset, and I forgot to reconfigure the BIOS (like enabling XMP), so I successfully booted into macOS without any issues (just that my RAM is running at 2133).

FYI, I had a set of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM lying around, so I tried it (before I reset the CMOS), and I wouldn't boot.

It could be the RAM... Not sure.

Also when I did reset the CMOS, it didn't boot up right away when I pressed the button (it didn't boot). The next morning, it booted up after a boot loop.