Looking for a Laptop

Hello everyone,

I have recently gotten interested into coding and that of programming. So through this I wish to get a laptop with Kali Linux, and I know that an I5 and 8 GB of ram is most likely necessary. I was just wondering if anyone knew a laptop that is under 300 dollars and has either of these specs or is able to be upgraded to these specs for not much money. 

Thank you for any help!

14 minutes ago, Shuffle05 said:

Hello everyone,

I have recently gotten interested into coding and that of programming. So through this I wish to get a laptop with Kali Linux, and I know that an I5 and 8 GB of ram is most likely necessary. I was just wondering if anyone knew a laptop that is under 300 dollars and has either of these specs or is able to be upgraded to these specs for not much money. 

Thank you for any help!

Kinda hard to find a laptop with Kali Linux, but any normal Windows Laptop can get Kali Linux 

You won't be able to find a 300$ laptop with an i5 or Ryzen 5. At best you can get a Ryzen 3 3200U.

23 minutes ago, Shuffle05 said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for any help!

The i5 and 8 GB isn't really that necessary. Kali actually is a fairly lightweight OS, that even runs on my ARM HP Chromebook.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

14 minutes ago, Nano Adam said:

Kinda hard to find a laptop with Kali Linux, but any normal Windows Laptop can get Kali Linux 

ok I knew this i was just wondering if you guys knew any laptops that i could get for relatively cheap?

6 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

The i5 and 8 GB isn't really that necessary. Kali actually is a fairly lightweight OS, that even runs on my ARM HP Chromebook.

What specs would you recommend on a laptop then to specifically run kali.

1 minute ago, Shuffle05 said:

ok I knew this i was just wondering if you guys knew any laptops that i could get for relatively cheap?

For programming you don't need powerful machines, unless you are doing like machine learning and training models.

5 minutes ago, Shuffle05 said:

What specs would you recommend on a laptop then to specifically run kali.

Depeds on what you're doing with it. Kali is an OS. If you're just looking for a web browser, I'd say 4 GB of ram and any modern CPU (excepting Atom devices)

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

Depeds on what you're doing with it. Kali is an OS. If you're just looking for a web browser, I'd say 4 GB of ram and any modern CPU (excepting Atom devices)

Alright i just dont know exactly what kind of laptop would be good for  this kinda stuff

Any recommendations on brands?

2 hours ago, Nano Adam said:

For programming you don't need powerful machines, unless you are doing like machine learning and training models.

ok thanks was just wondering for the type of ethical hacking type of use any laptops you would recomend?

2 hours ago, 5x5 said:

You won't be able to find a 300$ laptop with an i5 or Ryzen 5. At best you can get a Ryzen 3 3200U.

You can easily get an HP Probook/Elitebook or Dell Latitude with a 4th Gen i5, 8GB memory, and a 128 to 250GB SSD for below $300.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

38 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You can easily get an HP Probook/Elitebook or Dell Latitude with a 4th Gen i5, 8GB memory, and a 128 to 250GB SSD for below $300.

ok thanks for your help where would i go about looking for this because i cant specifically find one for under 300$

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Build Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Why? The 4th gen i5 ULVs are two times slower than a modern Ryzen 3 3200U

10 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Why? The 4th gen i5 ULVs are two times slower than a modern Ryzen 3 3200U

Yes they are a little slower, however, you can find them for $230 to $280 sometimes can even snag a 6th Gen i5 in that price range, where as a 3200U laptop with 4GB of memory is more in the $350 to $400 price range, they may be a little slower in the CPU department but they are still plenty capable for what OP wants to do and $100 or more cheaper. OP is asking for a laptop less than $300, you could maybe snag a 3200u system from Dell outlet or used for under $300 but barely under and it will likely only have 4GB of memory which IMO 4GB is not enough for a computer running Windows 10, so then you're looking at spending an extra $35 on another 4GB memory stick. I recommended something that is more than capable of doing what OP wants for within their budget possibly even cheaper I don't see a problem as OP even implies that $300 is their max budget. If they had some wiggle room with the budget a slightly more expensive newer Ryzen laptop would definitely be a strong recommend.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

17 hours ago, Shuffle05 said:

ok thanks was just wondering for the type of ethical hacking type of use any laptops you would recomend?

For ethical hacking, I don't really do, so I won't have much knowledge about that. Sorry.