Help, this doesn't sound good.

Dr. Dressing
Go to solution Solved by Demonic Donut,

I'd guess you damaged the fan header.

Alright, off to a great start. From my last post, I was told I should replace my laptop fan, as it literally made growling engine noises.

So after I purchase a pair of fans and receive them, I naturally install them. Big deal.

Now, thing is - A laptop fan usually spins. And to my surprise, my GPU fan doesn't spin whatsoever.

Once again, big deal. I replaced the new fan with the old one, to see if it fixed the problem. However, that wasn't the case.

The port that the fan connects to, is making very odd noises. Like it's sending a signal that isn't being received. (A sort of wheeze, except it sounds like static going through electrical lines.)

Dell's built-in diagnostics did NOT like this, to say the least, with a prompt that told me the GPU fan wasn't responding correctly.

First thing that comes to my mind is this community. And I tip my hat to whoever can tell me what my laptop's problem is.

(My PC is a:

Dell G3 3579)

1 minute ago, Demonic Donut said:

I'd guess you damaged the fan header.

How would you fix that on a laptop?

1 minute ago, Dr. Dressing said:

How would you fix that on a laptop?

I'd inspect to see if there is any visual damage and go from there. Most likely, soldering will be involved. Its not extremely difficult, and generally easier with a good soldering iron.

Generally connections on laptops are rather flimsy. They aren't designed to be unplugged/plugged in again. You have to support the fan and board side when you remove them.

1 minute ago, Demonic Donut said:

Generally connections on laptops are rather flimsy. They aren't designed to be unplugged/plugged in again. You have to support the fan and board side when you remove them.

"support" the fan/board like putting it somewhere safe? I am not really following the concept you're making.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Dressing said:

"support" the fan/board like putting it somewhere safe? I am not really following the concept you're making.

When you unplug them (any connection really). You need to hold onto the plug that is soldered to the board to support it from flexing/pulling while you pull the wire plug from the fan out.

When you plug them in, hold the plug again and support it from being flexed/pushed by the fan plug insertion.

36 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

When you unplug them (any connection really). You need to hold onto the plug that is soldered to the board to support it from flexing/pulling while you pull the wire plug from the fan out.

When you plug them in, hold the plug again and support it from being flexed/pushed by the fan plug insertion.

I believe the damage is in the header itself, as opposed to the wire, or the two tested fans. You think that the warranty takes care of that?

edit:

The company I bought it from doesn't have anything specific with removing any parts, either.

And the parts I removed didn't have any form of "warranty void" markings, or anything related.

Edited by Dr. Dressing
Inclusion of my message

1 hour ago, Dr. Dressing said:

I believe the damage is in the header itself, as opposed to the wire, or the two tested fans. You think that the warranty takes care of that?

edit:

The company I bought it from doesn't have anything specific with removing any parts, either.

And the parts I removed didn't have any form of "warranty void" markings, or anything related.

If you put it all back together and they don't notice, you will be ok. If they know you took it apart and broke it, they won't cover it.

If they won't cover it, you'll have to repair the header yourself.

*Edit* If they notice, you can try the ignorance method and say you bought a new fan and it didn't work either.