Best way to add fan to heatsink on PCIe card?

AhmedIlyas

I have this PCIe card and I need to attach a fan on the heatsink as its pretty hot.

However I am not sure exactly the best way to do this, even with zip ties.

thoughts? Direction?

20200804_102149.jpg

20200804_102134.jpg

If you're not worried about how pretty it looks twist ties around the heatsink pegs to the fan mount holes will get it done.

If you want it done prettier a 3D printer is really good for this.

Also I wouldn't recommend mounting the fan blowing air away from the heatsink as you just have. There's no seal to make sure all the air gets pulled through the heatsink and the front of the fan may possibly grind against the heatsink.

https://youtu.be/-yQHAMz1v5g?t=276

https://youtu.be/ZQe4_wTKO_4?t=292

You'll want to flip that fan around though, so it pushes cold(er) air through the fins.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 questions:

1) What do you mean about mounting the fan blowing air away from the heatsink? How should I mount it?

2) I didn't think about twist ties... that's a good point.

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

High quality rubber bands where my goto prior to 3d-printing.

Zip ties are also fine. Just place them around other things like those mounting studs. Be creative.  Where they are right now they might cause problems with the PCIE slot.

yeah problem is it does not go through those mounting studs I believe. I'll try. I bought a bag of 1000 small zip ties for this. LOL.

6 minutes ago, AhmedIlyas said:

2 questions:

1) What do you mean about mounting the fan blowing air away from the heatsink? How should I mount it?

2) I didn't think about twist ties... that's a good point.

The way you have the fan orientation in your picture it's not going to blow air down onto the heatsink. It's going to pull air away. Not ideal without a half decent seal forcing air through the heatsink. Better off flipping the fan the other way around.

I've been in your potion before. I used tying wire but a twist tie is very similar. Slightly stiffer.

Thanks. I'll order some cable ties instead. That may make it easier it seems than the zip ties given how the card is.