Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davidvelez9

Beyerdynamic dt990 work well with behringer umc22?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all! I have the interface of the title, and I want to buy the dt990 headphones, I am afraid that due to their impedance they do not work well, on many internet sites people say that they work well without an amplifier but I would like to know their opinions. I have seen videos of people who use headphones with laptops and cell phones without without and external amp/dac and they say they work well, I find it hard to believe that a Motorola cellphone has a more powerful amp than an audio interface, that's why I am positive that they work well, but at end i have no idea.

Just for reference, I usually use a sony mdr-zx110 with the volume at 50% and when mixing I use them with the knob at 3 clock.

If an amplifier is absolutely necessary, would it be nice to buy the behringer ha400?

12 minutes ago, Davidvelez9 said:

Hi all! I have the interface of the title, and I want to buy the dt990 headphones, I am afraid that due to their impedance they do not work well, on many internet sites people say that they work well without an amplifier but I would like to know their opinions. I have seen videos of people who use headphones with laptops and cell phones without without and external amp/dac and they say they work well, I find it hard to believe that a Motorola cellphone has a more powerful amp than an audio interface, that's why I am positive that they work well, but at end i have no idea.

Just for reference, I usually use a sony mdr-zx110 with the volume at 50% and when mixing I use them with the knob at 3 clock.

If an amplifier is absolutely necessary, would it be nice to buy the behringer ha400?

No they cannot be fully driven with the umc22. Also when they say work "well" that means that they don't sounds good. Also they haven't probably tried it with an amp before.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/ Dekoni Elite Velour Pads

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

5 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

No they cannot be fully driven with the umc22. Also when they say work "well" that means that they don't sounds good. Also they haven't probably tried it with an amp before.

really? i have 250 ohm dt 990 and a lg v20 and i cant get much more than 55% volume without hurting my ears

5 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

I am not sure if they have not tried an amplifier before because they are just dedicated to that, to review headphones and amplification systems.

I know that dt990 will not give 100%  with umc22, but I wonder how well or badly they will work.

Anyway I reformulate the last question, do you think ha400 helps with amplification?

2 minutes ago, Davidvelez9 said:

I am not sure if they have not tried an amplifier before because they are just dedicated to that, to review headphones and amplification systems.

I know that dt990 will not give 100%  with umc22, but I wonder how well or badly they will work.

Anyway I reformulate the last question, do you think ha400 helps with amplification?

I mean yeah it will definitiely help.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

Other peripherals

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

really? i have 250 ohm dt 990 and a lg v20 and i cant get much more than 55% volume without hurting my ears

It is just not about volume. It is about the details the headphone will offer when being amped.

My pc specs

Other peripherals

2 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

It is just not about volume. It is about the details the headphone will offer when being amped.

well the details sound much better than my sennheiser hd558 though i dont have anything else to compare it to

1 hour ago, Davidvelez9 said:

Well... Does anyone else have another opinion?

Get a stand alone headphone amp. I wouldn't get the behringer ha400 though. I'd recomend one of these: Schiit Magni Heresy, JDS Labs Atom, Monolith Liquid Spark, or Topping A50 are all quality for not too much. 

On 8/4/2020 at 12:13 PM, spartaman64 said:

What do you think about 990s with my interface?

On 8/5/2020 at 12:31 PM, geo3 said:

Get a stand alone headphone amp. I wouldn't get the behringer ha400 though. I'd recomend one of these: Schiit Magni Heresy, JDS Labs Atom, Monolith Liquid Spark, or Topping A50 are all quality for not too much. 

would add the topping L30 on that list as well as the magni 3+

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: msi mag b550 tomahawk RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! dark rock pro 4Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

UMC 22 isn't a great interface, poor driver support and no dedicated headphone amp. UMC202HD is the good one that (according to the manufacturer) can power 250 ohm Beyers well. 

Now, unless you'll be purchasing an XLR mic there's little reason to use an interface and the MA400 has more than enough gain to power those headphones. Keep in mind that they are a studio option that provides clean gain, they are designed for precision so if you're looking to get a very musical amp that's not it.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

16 minutes ago, The Flying Sloth said:

UMC 22 isn't a great interface, poor driver support and no dedicated headphone amp. UMC202HD is the good one that (according to the manufacturer) can power 250 ohm Beyers well. 

Now, unless you'll be purchasing an XLR mic there's little reason to use an interface and the MA400 has more than enough gain to power those headphones. Keep in mind that they are a studio option that provides clean gain, they are designed for precision so if you're looking to get a very musical amp that's not it.

I'm a producer, that's why I have this interface, ¿do you think that the 990s can't be driven fine by my interface? I know that the ideal is to buy an amplifier but they are quite expensive in my country

1 hour ago, Davidvelez9 said:

I'm a producer, that's why I have this interface, ¿do you think that the 990s can't be driven fine by my interface? I know that the ideal is to buy an amplifier but they are quite expensive in my country

The dt990 250 ohm will not be powered well by your interface, the MA400 is about $30 and is probably the cheapest way to power those headphones.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations