Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Motherboard causes coil whine

Posted · Original PosterOP

My X370 Asus Crosshair VI Hero emits a high pitched sound from around the gpu area (it is not coming from the gpu itself, like I first thought, because I just tested another GPU). Why does it do that and how do I make it stop?

The chipset fan? Could have to do something with the PSU as well.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/ Dekoni Elite Velour Pads

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

7 minutes ago, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

My X370 Asus Crosshair VI Hero emits a high pitched sound from around the gpu area (it is not coming from the gpu itself, like I first thought, because I just tested another GPU). Why does it do that and how do I make it stop?

Seems like many resorted to an RMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eh1cjw/discussing_reports_of_coil_whine_with_ryzen_3000/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8suzmk/highend_am4_motherboards_with_coil_whine/

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - Asus TUF X570-PLUS (WiFi) RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU - MSI GTX 1070 Ti PSU - EVGA B3 650W Case - Meshify C Storage - 960 EVO 500GB, MX500 500GB

Media Server

CPU - Core i5-4570 | RAM - Samsung 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600 | Case - OptiPlex 9020 SFF

Storage - 850 EVO 128GB (Boot), BX500 240GB (Software), WD Red 4TB (Storage) | OS - FreeNAS 11.3

3 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

The chipset fan?

It has a fan? I thought only X570 have one

Coil whine, as the name implies, comes from the inductors and other coils on the board. Inductors are commonly used in switchmode power supplies, like the circuit that powers your CPU to help stabilize the current flowing through whatever rail its helping to regulate. The problem is when you start pulling more and more current through the inductor, you increase the amplitude of the magnetic force induced by the current in the coil. This causes the coil to vibrate harder and harder at whatever switching frequency to the point where you can actually hear it. 

If you've ever taken apart a power supply, you may have noticed a bigass inductor on the board with some white hot glue looking stuff on it. This is usually a silicone material called silastic used to hold the wires in place to prevent damage in shipping, and keep them from vibrating under heavy load. If you can find the specific coil that is vibrating like hell, you may be able to fix it by adding some silicone or hot glue around it to dampen the vibrations.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Coil whine, as the name implies, comes from the inductors and other coils on the board. Inductors are commonly used in switchmode power supplies, like the circuit that powers your CPU to help stabilize the current flowing through whatever rail its helping to regulate. The problem is when you start pulling more and more current through the inductor, you increase the amplitude of the magnetic force induced by the current in the coil. This causes the coil to vibrate harder and harder at whatever switching frequency to the point where you can actually hear it. 

If you've ever taken apart a power supply, you may have noticed a bigass inductor on the board with some white hot glue looking stuff on it. This is usually a silicone material called silastic used to hold the wires in place to prevent damage in shipping, and keep them from vibrating under heavy load. If you can find the specific coil that is vibrating like hell, you may be able to fix it by adding some silicone or hot glue around it to dampen the vibrations.

Can I see if it vibrates? Or do I have to hear where exactly it's from

Just now, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

Can I see if it vibrates? Or do I have to hear where exactly it's from

If it's shaking so hard you can see it, you probably have some bigger problems on your hand. I would try to find the general area that the noise is coming from, then start feeling around the different inductors on the board. If you can hear them vibrating, you can probably feel them too. 

ASU

14 minutes ago, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

It has a fan? I thought only X570 have one

yeah sorry I looked at the wrong mobo.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My pc specs

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 500gb M2 SSD, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming🎧

DT 990 pro 250ohm W/ Dekoni Elite Velour Pads

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Logitech G502 Hero

If it is coil whine there are a couple ways to get rid of it, you can try stress testing your components until it goes away(not common but has worked in the past), you can replace the PSU as they can sometimes be the cause, or you can replace the motherboard either with an RMA or just buying a new one. Coil whine is very common and in most cases the only harm it does is be annoying.

Main Desktop: CPU - I9-9900k @5ghz | Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | AIO - H100i Pro RGB | PSU - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME SSD / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Seagate 2TB Firecuda Hybrid Drive |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.