Motherboard causes coil whine

My X370 Asus Crosshair VI Hero emits a high pitched sound from around the gpu area (it is not coming from the gpu itself, like I first thought, because I just tested another GPU). Why does it do that and how do I make it stop?

The chipset fan? Could have to do something with the PSU as well.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

7 minutes ago, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

My X370 Asus Crosshair VI Hero emits a high pitched sound from around the gpu area (it is not coming from the gpu itself, like I first thought, because I just tested another GPU). Why does it do that and how do I make it stop?

Seems like many resorted to an RMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eh1cjw/discussing_reports_of_coil_whine_with_ryzen_3000/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8suzmk/highend_am4_motherboards_with_coil_whine/

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

3 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

The chipset fan?

It has a fan? I thought only X570 have one

Coil whine, as the name implies, comes from the inductors and other coils on the board. Inductors are commonly used in switchmode power supplies, like the circuit that powers your CPU to help stabilize the current flowing through whatever rail its helping to regulate. The problem is when you start pulling more and more current through the inductor, you increase the amplitude of the magnetic force induced by the current in the coil. This causes the coil to vibrate harder and harder at whatever switching frequency to the point where you can actually hear it. 

If you've ever taken apart a power supply, you may have noticed a bigass inductor on the board with some white hot glue looking stuff on it. This is usually a silicone material called silastic used to hold the wires in place to prevent damage in shipping, and keep them from vibrating under heavy load. If you can find the specific coil that is vibrating like hell, you may be able to fix it by adding some silicone or hot glue around it to dampen the vibrations.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Coil whine, as the name implies, comes from the inductors and other coils on the board. Inductors are commonly used in switchmode power supplies, like the circuit that powers your CPU to help stabilize the current flowing through whatever rail its helping to regulate. The problem is when you start pulling more and more current through the inductor, you increase the amplitude of the magnetic force induced by the current in the coil. This causes the coil to vibrate harder and harder at whatever switching frequency to the point where you can actually hear it. 

If you've ever taken apart a power supply, you may have noticed a bigass inductor on the board with some white hot glue looking stuff on it. This is usually a silicone material called silastic used to hold the wires in place to prevent damage in shipping, and keep them from vibrating under heavy load. If you can find the specific coil that is vibrating like hell, you may be able to fix it by adding some silicone or hot glue around it to dampen the vibrations.

Can I see if it vibrates? Or do I have to hear where exactly it's from

Just now, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

Can I see if it vibrates? Or do I have to hear where exactly it's from

If it's shaking so hard you can see it, you probably have some bigger problems on your hand. I would try to find the general area that the noise is coming from, then start feeling around the different inductors on the board. If you can hear them vibrating, you can probably feel them too. 

ASU

14 minutes ago, rebmem rehtona yb esu ni said:

It has a fan? I thought only X570 have one

yeah sorry I looked at the wrong mobo.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

If it is coil whine there are a couple ways to get rid of it, you can try stress testing your components until it goes away(not common but has worked in the past), you can replace the PSU as they can sometimes be the cause, or you can replace the motherboard either with an RMA or just buying a new one. Coil whine is very common and in most cases the only harm it does is be annoying.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |