Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_StrikE_

Looking for a lightweight antivirus for a windows 7 install

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, i'm looking for a lightweight antivirus for my windows 7 install, it doesn't have to be the best one out there, "decent" will do fine for me, my priorities with it are:

1. Lightweight (as previously mentioned)

2. It has to have a good exclusion system, both by folder/drive and file (not like bitdefender where i exclude a drive and it still deletes/quarantine stuff from it the moment i access it)

It be nice if such a thing was available for free, but i wont get my hopes up, those 2 points above are my priorities.

use microsofts own antivirus

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

use microsofts own antivirus

maybe I should make a thread about this, but windows defender is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE at identifying malware that isn't in its database. So no, don't

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

maybe I should make a thread about this, but windows defender is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE at identifying malware that isn't in its database. So no, don't

Which would be especially bad for Win7. Maybe try Malwarebytes?

Also, using an anti virus and windows 7 is funny. Windows 7 is no means nowadays secure with no more security patches being provided by Microsoft. If you want to be secure, upgrade to linux or windows 10.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, mahyar said:

I thought it was dropped, does it still update its definitions ?

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why not go to windows 10 and use the built in one?

26 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

Also, using an anti virus and windows 7 is funny. Windows 7 is no means nowadays secure with no more security patches being provided by Microsoft. If you want to be secure, upgrade to linux or windows 10.

I just want some basic virus/malware protection, i had enough of windows 10 for now, maybe come the next release of LTSC i will move but not earlier.

1 hour ago, _StrikE_ said:

I just want some basic virus/malware protection, i had enough of windows 10 for now, maybe come the next release of LTSC i will move but not earlier.

with all due respect. I don' think you understand the implications of Microsoft dropping support for 7.  Using an AV + windows 7 is like using a condom with a massive hole in it - doesn't really help anything.

if you really want though, sophos home free will do:

https://home.sophos.com/en-us/free-anti-virus-windows.aspx

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

with all due respect. I don' think you understand the implications of Microsoft dropping support for 7.  Using an AV + windows 7 is like using a condom with a massive hole in it - doesn't really help anything.

if you really want though, sophos home free will do:

https://home.sophos.com/en-us/free-anti-virus-windows.aspx

How light is it compared to Kaspersky Security Cloud Free ?

2 minutes ago, _StrikE_ said:

How light is it compared to Kaspersky Security Cloud Free ?

it's hard to measure because Sophos AV's have multiple components running at the same time as different processes. Sophos is very light though

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

it's hard to measure because Sophos AV's have multiple components running at the same time as different processes. Sophos is very light though

Thank you then i guess i will test this 3 then:

Kaspersky Free Cloud Security

Sohpos Home Free

Avira 

(Though something tells me avira will be the first one to go if they still got those annoying ads)

35 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

Just in hopes i wont get someone else telling me about upgrading to 10, i got 3 machines i need 7 on just one them for some stuff and tests, considering what i'm going to be using it for i could probably go without an AV, but just to be safe i wanted a bare minimum protection, that's why the request.