Can install a OS that my laptop does not support harm it?

DanWhite

Hello, thats my question, in this laptop it says that only windows 7 versions are supported but, I wanna use windows 8.1 on it, there's any possibility that it could harm the machine if I try to do that? the laptop is the hp elitebook 8760w, hope you can help me, thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Hello, thats my question, in this laptop it says that only windows 7 versions are supported but, I wanna use windows 8.1 on it, there's any possibility that it could harm the machine if I try to do that? the laptop is the hp elitebook 8760w, hope you can help me, thanks in advance!

No, it cannot harm your laptop. Installing an unsupported OS could ruin the recovery-partition on your HDD/SDD, but other than that, no physical damage can happen.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Why not install windows 10? No harm will be done at all the os can't do any hardware harm (unless it's something malicious which windows is not). Your laptop came out before 8 or 10 even existed so it's normal that it isn't listed as compatible whilst being compatible as it simply didn't exist yet.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

No, it cannot harm your laptop. Installing an unsupported OS could ruin the recovery-partition on your HDD/SDD, but other than that, no physical damage can happen.

And what does that mean? thank you

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Why not install windows 10? No harm will be done at all the os can't do any hardware harm (unless it's something malicious which windows is not). Your laptop came out before 8 or 10 even existed so it's normal that it isn't listed as compatible whilst being compatible as it simply didn't exist yet.

Because I have windows 8.1 installed on a SSD and I want to just put it in and run it

1 minute ago, DanWhite said:

And what does that mean? thank you

On laptops, there's typically recovery-software that can be used to wipe the laptop clean and reset the laptop to the state it was in when it was brand-new, including all the installed apps and everything.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

On laptops, there's typically recovery-software that can be used to wipe the laptop clean and reset the laptop to the state it was in when it was brand-new, including all the installed apps and everything.

Ah I see, and putting a SSD with windows 8.1 installed on the machine and try to boot it up couldn't harm it either right? 

Just now, DanWhite said:

Ah I see, and putting a SSD with windows 8.1 installed on the machine and try to boot it up couldn't harm it either right? 

It shouldn't, no, since it's on the existing drive.

That laptop will run windows 10 it's over minimal specs the support list was probably made before the release of windows 8.1 or just not tested

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It shouldn't, no, since it's on the existing drive.

since it's on the existing drive? what did you mean with that?

3 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

If it's a 32bit pc it won't run 64bit os so double cheak that stuff and u should be safe unless your installing master hacker virus os.

If that windows was activated with microsoft toolkit or whatever will it qualify as a master hacker virus os? haha

This laptop does support windows 7 64bit so it will be fine I think

1 minute ago, Not Wills said:

It's 64 bit so win 10 64 bit will work fine, last time I checked it's not master hacker virus os.

Alright then. Another question, the hp elitebook 8760w should not support quad channel RAM right?

Just now, DanWhite said:

Alright then. Another question, the hp elitebook 8760w should not support quad channel RAM right?

Not sure but it does support 32GB DDR3

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Not sure but it does support 32GB DDR3

Yea

1 minute ago, Not Wills said:

Most likely doesn't.

That is what I was thinking, but I think it will be better with 16gb RAM than with 8 anyway

2 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Yea

Not even my PC supports quad channel but I don't have that many sticks either

Reminder⚠️

6 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Not even my PC supports quad channel but I don't have that many sticks either

Haha I see, it must be supported on newer/expensive motherboards

Edited by DanWhite
correction