Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Salvinz

Arctic Liquid Freezer II's Warranty

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
Hello,
 
I'll be building a new PC soon and I'm looking to finally switch from air to liquid cooling.  I've narrowed my choices down to NZXT X63 or the Arctic Cooling Freezing Liquid II; the only worry being the markedly different warranties.  I'm very new to liquid cooling, and this is why I'm looking at AIO's before custom loops.  A 280mm NZXT X63 is $210.00 CAD, whilst a 280mm ACLF II is $170.00 CAD.  Additionally, a 360mm ACLF II is $190.00 CAD.  Clearly, the ACLF II wins on price to performance, however, it loses when it comes to warranty, i.e., NZXT's Kraken series offer 6 year warranties, whilst the ACLF II's are on a 2 year warranty.  Note: RGB is not a factor for me.
 
Given the notable differences in warranties, I have three questions:
 
  1. Does this point to Arctic having low confidence in their product?
  2. Should I be concerned over ACLF II's longevity?
  3. Is it common for AIO's to maintain optimal performance well beyond their short warranties?
 
I have both watched and read GN's and Guru3D's review on the ACLF II, and the value proposition is tempting to say the least.  The worry, however, is the two year warranty on the ACLF II.  In any event, if anyone could help shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
 
Cheers :)
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have zero issues with old AIO's that I have (Corsair, CoolerMaster), and have in use and love using Arctic products for their price to performance.  I have no experience with their AIO's, but I personally have confidence in their products.  If I were in the market, I would look to reviews and see if people have issues with longevity.


Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA III, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out (getting its facelift as of June 2020 have new air cooler, drives etc.  About 60% finished.  Will no longer be a closed loop system.

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO w/ 12mm thick fans to fit in top exhaust, 256gb TIMETEC SSD, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Generic mouse, 37" 1080p TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
42 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I have zero issues with old AIO's that I have (Corsair, CoolerMaster), and have in use and love using Arctic products for their price to performance.  I have no experience with their AIO's, but I personally have confidence in their products.  If I were in the market, I would look to reviews and see if people have issues with longevity.

Near as I can tell, the ACLF II's are being universally praised, and I haven't been able to find any reports of failures, be it with ACLF II's or Arctic's previous units.  The strongest data point I have is that of Gamers Nexus, i.e., GN has clearly spoken about the Kraken's durability, but given that the ACLF II's are new, it's difficult to gauge its durability.  This is fair, and I don't expect someone to accurately predict ACLF II's longevity, however, what I am curious about are Arctic's previous AIO's.

 

You're absolutely right, I need to do more research on this.  Given that, I was hoping to pick the brains of the more experienced users of AIO's or liquid cooling in general.  That said, every piece of information helps.  It's great to know that Arctic makes reliable products, this will help inform my decision.

 

Thank you!  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Salvinz said:

Near as I can tell, the ACLF II's are being universally praised, and I haven't been able to find any reports of failures, be it with ACLF II's or Arctic's previous units.  The strongest data point I have is that of Gamers Nexus, i.e., GN has clearly spoken about the Kraken's durability, but given that the ACLF II's are new, it's difficult to gauge its durability.  This is fair, and I don't expect someone to accurately predict ACLF II's longevity, however, what I am curious about are Arctic's previous AIO's.

 

You're absolutely right, I need to do more research on this.  Given that, I was hoping to pick the brains of the more experienced users of AIO's or liquid cooling in general.  That said, every piece of information helps.  It's great to know that Arctic makes reliable products, this will help inform my decision.

 

Thank you!  :)

Oh yeah, and hang tight, more users with experience with this AIO I am sure lurk here and will respond


Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA III, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out (getting its facelift as of June 2020 have new air cooler, drives etc.  About 60% finished.  Will no longer be a closed loop system.

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO w/ 12mm thick fans to fit in top exhaust, 256gb TIMETEC SSD, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Generic mouse, 37" 1080p TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The LF II is too new for anyone to start complaining about warranty.  The only issues that have been reported are VRM fans getting flaky, but even if -that- happens, current revisions allow you to simply disconnect the fan easily without a tool.  Even on v1 you can disconnect it, you just probably need a small tool to remove the connector from the housing, while on V2 it's on a standard wire harness extension, basically.

 

That being said, Arctic has been around a long time.  And I don't remember many people complaining about their products.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

The LF II is too new for anyone to start complaining about warranty.  The only issues that have been reported are VRM fans getting flaky, but even if -that- happens, current revisions allow you to simply disconnect the fan easily without a tool.  Even on v1 you can disconnect it, you just probably need a small tool to remove the connector from the housing, while on V2 it's on a standard wire harness extension, basically.

 

That being said, Arctic has been around a long time.  And I don't remember many people complaining about their products.

True, we can't yet gauge the durability of the ACLF II.  GN did talk about the VRM fan and I think he had a neutral to positive take on them, I can't be absolutely certain though, I'll need to watch the review again to be sure.  Still, it's good to know of any possible issues.  It's certainly news to me, because this is another piece of information I wasn't aware of until now.  As for Arctic, I'm slowly starting to realize that they do have a positive reputation within the industry.  Thank you for pointing these things out Falkentyne, much appreciated.

 

Cheers :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been a couple of reports of the braided cables over the pipes causing issues and damaging the cable from pump to fan, not heard of any other failures.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Arctic is pricey there. 360 100€, 280 90€ and 240 70-80€ here with all taxes.

 

The most relevant question is what you are cooling with it. Its pretty much pointless to buy an expensive cooler for Ryzen 3000-series until 3900X. And even that will cool just fine with a 40-50€ tower.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, rtyall said:

There's been a couple of reports of the braided cables over the pipes causing issues and damaging the cable from pump to fan, not heard of any other failures.

Yet another piece of information I wasn't aware of... Thank you!  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Arctic is pricey there. 360 100€, 280 90€ and 240 70-80€ here with all taxes.

 

The most relevant question is what you are cooling with it. Its pretty much pointless to buy an expensive cooler for Ryzen 3000-series until 3900X. And even that will cool just fine with a 40-50€ tower.

That's a great point.  So far, the build is as follows:

 

  • Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower
  • Noctua NF-14 PWM 140 x 3
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (Will look to upgrade this in the future)
  • NZXT X63 or ACLF II or Noctua NH-D15 (From what I've read, newer Noctua's come with AMD brackets.  D15's sell for $135.00 CAD)
  • Asus TUF Gaming Plus X570 (No Wifi version)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32 GB
  • Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe SSD M.2 @ 500 GB (Cannibalizing x 2 500 GB SSD's from my previous setup)
  • Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super x 1 (May switch this to 2080 Super... Undecided.  If I do go for a 2080, I'll have to change the rest of the build)
  • Corsair RM750 Gold Fully Modular 80+ Gold ATX Power Supply
  • Zowie XL2411P (Going for this due to its pricing and the fact that it's Blurbusters approved)
  • Blue Diamond DisplayPort Cable 1.2, M/M 10 ft

 

The budget is about 3k CAD.  I wish I didn't have to get a new monitor, but I'm forced to switch out the older one.  In retrospect, it's probably for the better, as the old one has burn-in issues.  As for pricing, I agree, but that's par for course in Canada.  Tech prices in Canada have traditionally been more expensive than what they are in America.

 

Note: Depending on how good the offerings are on Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday, I may be able to upgrade certain components.  For now, I'm taking a somewhat conservative approach.  In any event, thank you for responding!  Please feel free to critique the build.  Any input is appreciated.

 

 

Cheers :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×