Repeaters vs Mesh Network (need help deciding)

Midevil Chaos

I have an Xbox One, and I often like to stream my games to my PC monitor (I have Windows 10 with a Radeon RX 580) and I noticed I had two issues. I need to increase the Wireless Strength for the following reasons:

- Xbox One doesn't have more than an 84% signal strength (no, I cannot move it closer to my router and vice versa).

- I noticed that my sports games would kick me out, since they lose connection, as my Xbox Wireless Strength isn't closer to 100%.

At first, I thought it was just NBA 2K, but then noticed that FIFA also did the same thing, but at least unlike NBA 2K, it doesn't outright kick me out of my game I was in. Though, it does disconnect me from my profile until I reconnect it, which isn't much of a problem by itself. Due to this, I need either a Repeater or a Mesh Network to improve the Wireless Strength. I am not sure what I need in this case, specifically.

4 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I have an Xbox One, and I often like to stream my games to my PC monitor (I have Windows 10 with a Radeon RX 580) and I noticed I had two issues. I need to increase the Wireless Strength for the following reasons:

- Xbox One doesn't have more than an 84% signal strength (no, I cannot move it closer to my router and vice versa).

- I noticed that my sports games would kick me out, since they lose connection, as my Xbox Wireless Strength isn't closer to 100%.

At first, I thought it was just NBA 2K, but then noticed that FIFA also did the same thing, but at least unlike NBA 2K, it doesn't outright kick me out of my game I was in. Though, it does disconnect me from my profile until I reconnect it, which isn't much of a problem by itself. Due to this, I need either a Repeater or a Mesh Network to improve the Wireless Strength. I am not sure what I need in this case, specifically.

Given the reception that you've provided, it may not necessarily be the signal strength, but rather instability or another issue.

Unfortunately, networking can be a rabbit hole when trying to identify a problem. Personally, I steer clear of wireless repeaters. I've had nothing but bad experience with them, and so have a bunch of people I know. However, saying that doesn't mean they don't work. They are highly situational. At least with a mesh wifi network, you have more control.

On from this, it could also just be port forwarding issues. Your router may be blocking a port that the game wants to use, or it could be firewall related. This is really where the rabbit hole begins. You could try, just for testing, to put your Xbox in a DMZ and see if that just "fixes" your problems. If so, it was firewall/port related. If it doesn't, I suppose you could move onto the repeater/mesh network route.

6 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

It seems very unlikely that at 84% your having issues, thats about 50% higher than I would think would have any negative impact... But, either way, a better router is likely a good idea as this very well could be a router issue (unless its an internet issue...).

Google (now Nest) Wifi is seriously fantastic. How large is your house/apt/place you live? I use it, I got both of my parents houses using it, and their business, and many friends. It just works. Plain and simple. I cover 2500 square feet of house, plus garage, and yard, with 2 google wifi pucks. To be fair, most of our devices that are not phones are all hard wired, but I have never had a single issue, what so ever. Nest Wifi is a mesh network. And its just amazing. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

first things first... are you using a router/modem combo unit or are they separate? are you paying a fee for the ISP equipment (check your bill for this)? how big is your house? what is your potential budget for a fix like this (a new mesh router > extender)?

23 minutes ago, iCoExist said:

Given the reception that you've provided, it may not necessarily be the signal strength, but rather instability or another issue.

Unfortunately, networking can be a rabbit hole when trying to identify a problem. Personally, I steer clear of wireless repeaters. I've had nothing but bad experience with them, and so have a bunch of people I know. However, saying that doesn't mean they don't work. They are highly situational. At least with a mesh wifi network, you have more control.

@iCoExist I would have done that, but the router is in a completely different room, and I can't bring the Xbox One there. I might need a new router.

@LIGISTX I might need a new router. I mean, the router is in one room, and then the Xbox One in the other one. Our apartment is like 1000 square feet?

@Saksham Naw, they are separate, but yes, they are from the ISP directly. Apartment, as mentioned above is maybe 1000 square feet(?)

Just now, Midevil Chaos said:

@LIGISTX I might need a new router. I mean, the router is in one room, and then the Xbox One in the other one. Our apartment is like 1000 square feet?

Thats not very large at all.... A single router is plenty. Can you just run a wire?

If your router is garbage, I suppose that could be the issue. But anything in the 80's% is plenty fine. Either the router is having issues routing, your internet is not very good, or your modem is not very good. If you can plug directly into the router, if the issue goes away at least we would know the issue was your routers WiFi.

I suppose the place to start is a new router. A single Nest WiFi puck would be plenty for 1000 sqft. 

https://store.google.com/us/config/nest_wifi

It is not the cheapest router, but seriously. They just work. And if you ever do need to expand you can. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Thats not very large at all.... A single router is plenty. Can you just run a wire?

If your router is garbage, I suppose that could be the issue. But anything in the 80's% is plenty fine. Either the router is having issues routing, your internet is not very good, or your modem is not very good. If you can plug directly into the router, if the issue goes away at least we would know the issue was your routers WiFi.

I suppose the place to start is a new router. A single Nest WiFi puck would be plenty for 1000 sqft. 

https://store.google.com/us/config/nest_wifi

It is not the cheapest router, but seriously. They just work. And if you ever do need to expand you can. 

I just verified online, and my router is like 6 years old. Thanks. Will verify the nest.

1 minute ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I just verified online, and my router is like 6 years old. Thanks. Will verify the nest.

I mean, that really isn't very old though. If it was the router/WiFi, other devices would have issues. Well, honestly, almost no matter what other devices would have issues. Is the xbox the only thing that gives you issues?

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I mean, that really isn't very old though. If it was the router/WiFi, other devices would have issues. Well, honestly, almost no matter what other devices would have issues. Is the xbox the only thing that gives you issues?

Really? Interesting, thought that was old lol. Sometimes my wife watches Netflix on the Smart TV, and then if I simply have my Xbox One on, her experience lags. That's me doing nothing, but just having the console on. Not sure if it's the TV though not capable of streaming correctly.

1 minute ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Really? Interesting, thought that was old lol. Sometimes my wife watches Netflix on the Smart TV, and then if I simply have my Xbox One on, her experience lags. That's me doing nothing, but just having the console on. Not sure if it's the TV though not capable of streaming correctly.

If the TV works fine when the xbox isn't on, and only when you turn it on there are issues... yea I mean maybe it is the router being a total piece of garbage. But.... seems unlikely. All of your phones and tablets etc are always connected as well.

What router do you have? 

@LIGISTX I have this one: Zyxel EMG2926-Q10A. Mind you, it's not the one you find at bestbuy for example. It was a model made specifically for my ISP before 2017. And it looks way different, but used the same model number.

28 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

@LIGISTX I have this one: Zyxel EMG2926-Q10A. Mind you, it's not the one you find at bestbuy for example. It was a model made specifically for my ISP before 2017. And it looks way different, but used the same model number.

Well I have never heard of that, so its very possible its garbage. But.... that is a modem/router it looks like. Is that the only "internet" box you have? OR do you ALSO have a separate modem? If that is the only thing you have, you will need a modem as well. (you may be able to put this into bridge mode if it is the only thing you currently have, although, it may still totally suck as a modem, I am just not sure).

Who is your ISP? Where do you live?

Also I am headed to sleep so I will answer more Q's tomorrow :)

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Well I have never heard of that, so its very possible its garbage. But.... that is a modem/router it looks like. Is that the only "internet" box you have? OR do you ALSO have a separate modem? If that is the only thing you have, you will need a modem as well. (you may be able to put this into bridge mode if it is the only thing you currently have, although, it may still totally suck as a modem, I am just not sure).

Who is your ISP? Where do you live?

Also I am headed to sleep so I will answer more Q's tomorrow :)

@LIGISTX No, I have a separate modem which is a Hitron CDA-RES (never heard of that either before owning it). I think they made a model specifically for my ISP Videotron, for the Zyxel. I live in Montreal.

Goodnight! Take care :)

7 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

@LIGISTX No, I have a separate modem which is a Hitron CDA-RES (never heard of that either before owning it). I think they made a model specifically for my ISP Videotron, for the Zyxel. I live in Montreal.

Goodnight! Take care :)

Hmm. I guess start with a new router... google wifi only had a single Ethernet port for LAN, so if you have more devices wired than 1 you will need a switch if you don’t already have one. But I’d give that a shot first. 

8 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Hmm. I guess start with a new router... google wifi only had a single Ethernet port for LAN, so if you have more devices wired than 1 you will need a switch if you don’t already have one. But I’d give that a shot first. 

I need to wait till the end of the year (as I need a webcam more for upcoming projects). But once I get the amount I need, I'll be getting a router which is next on my list.

You know what, I said, "screw this, I will dismantle everything ans plug it near my router and then stream it". So... I will see what happens then. Currently says 100% signal strength. I honestly don't want to have to shill out $200-300 dollars for no reason. I figure if it works fine now that it's right next to the router, then a repeater should be fine. Otherwise, a new router will be needed.

EDIT: Issue is definitely the fact that the Xbox does not like being far away from the router. It's plugged directly into it now, and had no disconnects, minus the streaming lag once in a while.