Can an rx 5700 xt handle 4K?

Thiccboy

I’ve been considering getting a 65 inch 4K tv (with 10 ms latency, let me know if that’s too much for pc gaming) that’s being sold at a very good price where I live. The problem with this is that my current system has an rx 5700 xt and ryzen 5 3600; will I be able to run games at a constant 60 fps? My graphics card is also overclockable so that should help with fps a little bit as well.

If I were to play games on a high preset with demanding settings such as shadows or volumetric fog on medium, should I be able to run games at a constant 60 fps? I’d like to hear from people that have an rx 5700 xt and play on 4K. How do games run generally for you?

Furthermore, I heard that amd has its own thing that’s similar to dlss where you can upscale 1440p to 4K. Does it work with all games or only supported titles?

Thank you.

Depends on the game, but your average game should be able to reach 60FPS as long you're okay with medium or high settings, maybe with the resolution set to something like 1800p or lower in heavier games. AMD have no DLSS equivalent, the initial DLSS was just worse than a simple upscale with AMD sharpening filter, all you need to do is to create a custom resolution at 1800p or whatever you want(1440P probably doesn't need it) and choose it in the game, the GPU/TV will do the upscale depending on your settings to fit in the screen, if you want to use the sharpening filter, just look for it in the driver settings.

From TPU, games are probably in the highest settings(without Hairworks, RTX and similar):

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Depends on the game, but your average game should be able to reach 60FPS as long you're okay with medium or high settings, maybe with the resolution set to something like 1800p or lower in heavier games. AMD have no DLSS equivalent, the initial DLSS was just worse than a simple upscale with AMD sharpening filter, all you need to do is to create a custom resolution at 1800p or whatever you want(1440P probably doesn't need it) and choose it in the game, the GPU/TV will do the upscale depending on your settings to fit in the screen, if you want to use the sharpening filter, just look for it in the driver settings.

From TPU, games are probably in the highest settings(without Hairworks, RTX and similar):

spacer.png

Isn’t there something called fidelity Fx or something?

41 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

It isn't a DLSS equivalent, AMD have no equivalent currently.

I'm personally hoping the have an equivalent in Big Navi, but until we know for sure what's in the next gen, Nvidia is the only one that can reliably do 4k gaming with DLSS 2.0 or better.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

nevermind

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, Thiccboy said:

Furthermore, I heard that amd has its own thing that’s similar to dlss where you can upscale 1440p to 4K. Does it work with all games or only supported titles?

If you want to test your performance on 4K rendering right now use AMD virtual resolution. https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

For better performance in games with your current card you could also just lower your resolution in games...if you set it to 1440p it'll render 1440p footage on your 4K tv...but it wont look as good as native 4K unless you're sitting on a couch...a bit far from the TV.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes AMD has virtual resolution, it's the same as nvidia DSR...and in that case you are actually downscalling...from 4K to 1440p...not upsaling.. :D

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

DLSS is the opposite of DSR&VSR, DLSS is upscaling to get better performance, DSR and VSR are downscaling to get better image quality.

4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

DLSS is the opposite of DSR&VSR, DLSS is upscaling to get better performance, DSR and VSR are downscaling to get better image quality.

yes :) i know. AMD has no feature like DLSS...you have to lower your in game resolution.

i tought OP wanted to test performance before buying a new TV...to see how games run at 4K. my bad

2 hours ago, KaitouX said:

It isn't a DLSS equivalent, AMD have no equivalent currently.

What are your thoughts on this? It isn’t exactly a dlss equivalent, but it effectively does what dlss does; improves performance without much visual impact.

1 hour ago, Thiccboy said:

What are your thoughts on this? It isn’t exactly a dlss equivalent, but it effectively does what dlss does; improves performance without much visual impact.

that's pushing it, whatever amd has planned is tied to the newer consoles/rdna2 will probably have a feature that attempts to match dlss3.0 but likely won't have anything to do with the current cards.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

7 hours ago, Thiccboy said:

Even without sharpening filters when playing at 4K, upscaling from 1800P and similar resolutions is a great way to get a performance boost without much image quality loss, the sharpening filters can help particularly when going from lower resolutions, but Nvidia does have a alternative which is in my opinion it is better than the Radeon Image Sharpening due to the finer control you have over it, and I'm not sure about it currently but the AMD one didn't work with some API when I checked it last time. Both AMD and Nvidia can use Reshade to get similar experience, with the disadvantage being the slightly performance loss compared to the others mentioned.

While similar to what DLSS does, because in the end DLSS is upscaling the image, the idea of using DLSS 2.0 is to get both better image quality and performance, with the drawback(currently) being some rare issues that might appear due to the way DLSS does upscaling, like for example in Death Stranding where during one specific scene the DLSS caused dark trails behind some dark object that were flying to the sky which can be seen in the Digital Foundry analysis and the other drawback is the need of per-game implementation.

So as a simple way to think about it:

DLSS(2.0) = AI Upscaling to achieve both better performance and image quality, drawbacks currently are possible rare visual bugs and need of per-game implementation.

Normal Upscale = Traditional Upscale, achieves better performance while sacrificing image quality, when going from ~1800p to 4K often the quality loss is really small. Often paired together with sharpening filters(RIS, Reshade, Freestyle) to achieve a sharper image(same can be done with DLSS if wished).

Again the reason why DLSS was compared to traditional upscaling was because DLSS 1.0 was worse than a normal upscale, offering similar performance while looking worse. DLSS 2.0 actually looks as good or better than native, with the drawbacks mentioned before, those drawbacks also applied to the older DLSS.

What games do you want to play? I have a 5700xt so I could benchmark some for you if you want.