Should I Wait for Ryzen 4000

Hi Guys, 

I've decided I will be building a PC in the coming months,

I will be waiting for the 3080 Ti. 

Not to sure whether to wait for the Ryzen 4000 or get a 3950X.

Recently I've seen the news that the Ryzen 4000's will only be available in prebuilt systems, not to sure if this means they will be waiting to release the high end flagship models later on?

Question is should I wait if the 4000 series flagships are not released around the same time as the 3080 Ti, or should i just buy a 3950X instead?.

Thanks for the advice in advance. :)  

Yes wait for a bit. The new stuff should get announced in the next couple of months. For gaming you would want to get an 8 core part with the highest clocks. Getting a higher core count cpu means loosing mhz and single core performance, which is still king in games, that's why Intel dominates that market. For now, wait and see what comes out. Also on the GPU side of things. Unless your current pc is dead in the water, wait until all the new stuff has come out and has been tested properly.

10 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

For gaming you would want to get an 8 core part with the highest clocks. Getting a higher core count cpu means loosing mhz and single core performance

The 10 core i9 10900k is currently the fastest gaming CPU if you don't care about price. And the 3950X is still slightly faster than the 3900X single core (IDK about the 3900XT). But you get diminishing returns for anything higher than a 10600K or maybe a 10700K

8 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Honestly if you are only talking about today a 10600k that's underwater in a custom loop (you can do that with all you save from not getting a 3950x) with super high memory clocks and zero power limit / just insane overclocking it would beat out the 10900k because it's a lot denser of a package, you are much much more power limited and also it's just generally more expensive.

You're only guaranteed the stock speeds of the chips, you might buy a 10600k that's a dud for overclocking. But a 10900k is guaranteed to be faster at stock than a 10600k at stock.

58 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yes. Wait for Ryzen. The bit about prebuilts are for Zen 2 APUs. Also don't buy a 3950x for gaming... if you have that much to spend you need to consider a 10600k with a fat OC slapped on it if you are just gaming

Cheers for the advice I'll probably just go with whatever replaces the 3950X then,

I will also be using this PC for VM's on occasion so the extra cores will be helpful... Correct me if I'm wrong?  

That depends on how urgently you need the rig, if you need a rig now, I would recommend jumping for for a Ryzen 7 and an X570 that way you can wait around for Ryzen 5th gen. For example, my university said that I would need a PC with a good graphics card for what I'm going to be doing (engineering), and since I can't use their computers because it's all remote 'cause of the Rona I needed one now. So I got what I did.

BUT

You have the benefit of waiting, that means you can wait for 4000, so if it's not a significant performance jump from 3000, you can just get 3000 for cheaper as retailers make room for the newer gen chips.

If it is a performance jump, well I don't think I need to explain the benefits of that.

If you're going to wait for Ryzen 4000 series, you might as well as wait for Intel 11 series...

Waiting is one of those things where if you wait for b, c will come out. when c comes out d will come out soon.

I'd say wait until you absolutely need or want a new PC.

and buy whatever you need/want at that point.

At this moment, I'd personally say
i9-10900K or i5-10600K is the best gaming CPU.

Ryzen 3950X is best workstation without going HEDT

Ryzen 3600 - best all around CPU.

I don't know how much VM you want to run, but I'd honestly consider 10920X.

X299 motherboards are really good and right now as their price dropped so much for some models. (I mean that EVGA x299 is cheaper than any x570 boards lol...)

10920X is better for most games than any Ryzen CPU as well.

But don't buy X299 platform at this point of time, unless you get it cheaper than 3950X + X570 board.

Edit: spelling

i9-10940X @5.40GHz (currently the top OC record):  https://valid.x86.fr/5jiapc

i9-10940X Regular 24/7 @5.1GHz all core: http://valid.x86.fr/bj13uz