Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HardStroke

minecraft with shaders chocking the pc?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

out of every game that i played, minecraft with shaders actually seems to be the most demanding game.

im using beyond belief with shadow and render quality on x2 (max) but without anti aliasing

i have a 2080 aorus and a 10600k

cpu clocked at 4.8ghz

gpu is turboing all the way up to 2130mhz (sometimes) but usually sits at around 2000-2050mhz, and the memory is 7350mhz

i maxed out core voltage, power limit and temp limit in afterburner and set the core to +100 (to keep the core clock more consistent and not bounce between 2050-2130mhz and memory to +351

temps are around 72c and the average frames are 45-55. i use optifine which gives better performance to the games and at the top left i see for example 55/45 fps. the left is fps right now and i guess the right one is 1% low? not so sure so correct me if im wrong

how is it possible? from what i saw online, a 10600k wont bottleneck even a 2080 ti so bn is not my problem.

my old i5 3550 and 2080 combo handled warzone on the highest-second to highest settings with ray tracing at 100 fps so a 10600k and 2080 combo can handle minecraft with shaders???? 


"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not really "demanding", it's just unoptimised. Or rather, the 3D Java engine Minecraft is using was not made with shaders/path tracing/any other mods of this kind in mind. It also probably uses a really old OpenGL version, and that doesn't help either.


Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3000MHz CL15 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Minecraft with mods can be horribly optimized at times, and can bring any system to its knees, depending on settings.

7 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

gpu is turboing all the way up to 2130mhz (sometimes) but usually sits at around 2000-2050mhz, and the memory is 7350mhz

i maxed out core voltage, power limit and temp limit in afterburner and set the core to +100 (to keep the core clock more consistent and not bounce between 2050-2130mhz and memory to +351

temps are around 72c and the average frames are 45-55.

Sounds like the GPU is working, and working hard.

8 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

how is it possible? from what i saw online, a 10600k wont bottleneck even a 2080 ti so bn is not my problem.

Bottlenecking is not yes/no. It's actually a pretty complicated thing that depends on a lot, including game settings and resolution.

9 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

my old i5 3550 and 2080 combo handled warzone on the highest-second to highest settings with ray tracing at 100 fps

You're comparing apples to oranges. Minecraft and Warzone don't even share the same game engine, even remotely.

 

tl;dr: Lower your expectations and settings. Run a logging software such as HWiNFO to find out what's holding it back. Minecraft with shaders, depending on the pack, is not easy to run.


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3000 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 32 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

Sounds like the GPU is working, and working hard.

only game that got it this far, with a custom fan curve that on regular uses, temp doesn't go above 60c

 

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

You're comparing apples to oranges. Minecraft and Warzone don't even share the same game engine, even remotely.

 

yeah i know but still, warzone is a pretty heavy title to run, especially with older hardware

did some checks and those are the results:

on task manager:

cpu: 15% usage

gpu: PINNED at 99% usage (not really surprised since graphics are kinda insane and my world is really beyond end game if you know a little about the game and graphics are maxed so from that point this game turns from a cpu intensive game to a beefy gpu game)

gpu is at around 72c and cpu as noraml at 63c


"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

It's not really "demanding", it's just unoptimised. Or rather, the 3D Java engine Minecraft is using was not made with shaders/path tracing/any other mods of this kind in mind. It also probably uses a really old OpenGL version, and that doesn't help either.

unoptimized???

if that's really the case i don't know what to say

ive never seen a game this unoptimized

with my old i5 3550 and gtx 650, in the same minecraft world, same shaders and normal quality, i got around 20 fps average.

and now i have a cpu thats 7 generation newer, has 2 more cores, triple the thread amount, hyper threading and almost a full GHz overclock (then the older 3550 3.9ghz clock, yeah learned that its actually important in this game) and top end gpu and i get just 20 fps more on highest settings? that kind of a bruh moment for me


"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×