Phone pricing has quadrupled in the last 5 years - let's talk about it!

Vishera

2015 - when a high end phone cost just $250 (and it has OLED too!):

2020 - when a high end phone costs a whole grand.

We became peasants,let us build our phones as we build our PCs!

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

let us build our phones as we build our PCs!

It's been tried, but the current trend/rage of "thin is in" killed that idea off.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's been tried, but the current trend/rage of "thin is in" killed that idea off.

fairphone is sort of there, in a way...

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Throw in some artsy cases and RGB and it will be cool!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

That's a stupid idea, simply because there is no way of making modular phones without enormous compromises. I mean, just go and take a look at the couple of semi-modular phones that exist: they are very low-end, tend to be bulky, they are more fragile and they still cost an arm and a leg -- having to include connectors and make the parts discrete, instead of integrated, takes SPACE.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

That's a stupid idea, simply because there is no way of making modular phones without enormous compromises. I mean, just go and take a look at the couple of semi-modular phones that exist: they are very low-end, tend to be bulky, they are more fragile and they still cost an arm and a leg -- having to include connectors and make the parts discrete, instead of integrated, takes SPACE.

I don't care about the space thing,it can be a little bit bulky,

The rest of the problems are a direct result of that being niche market and lack of industry wide support.

When your cellular provider is selling a phone you like for $550 but you find everywhere else selling it for $300.

>:(

I'm very happy with my $100 Galaxy J7. It runs Cardboard VR flawlessly, has a headphone jack, and supports SDXC cards. I guess USB-C would be nice, but other than that I don't ask much of a phone other than that.

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:

2015 - when a high end phone cost just $250 (and it has OLED too!):

2020 - when a high end phone costs a whole grand.

Um, no.. OnePlus' business model has changed. They went from "flagship specs for a budget price" to "yeah, we're basically one of the top dogs now". That has been the case since the 5th one I think.

Let's do a comparison with two other copanies:

2015:

Galaxy S6: 685 - 785 - 885 USD (32GB - 64GB - 128GB) 

iPhone 6: 649 - 749 - 849 USD (16GB - 64GB - 128GB). 

2019:

Galaxy S20: 1000 USD (128GB) +13% (885->1000

iPhone 11: 699 - 749 - 849 USD (64GB - 128GB - 256GB) +7.7% on the base model, +0% on the others

Prices have increased, but not quadrapled all over the market. Adjusted for inflation, they haven't changed too much either.

Of course they have increased more in one company than another, whose business model has changed.

Sources:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Or build a pc instad of upgrading your phone for a couplle years. a 3000 pc would be cool.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Other than the fact that your title is completely nonfactual, we didn't become peasants, and other than a very, very small handful of people, no one wants a phone you can piecemeal together like a PC.

Other than the things @WereCatf already pointed out, phones that can be pieced together like that are going to have massive problems when it comes to support for cameras etc. They're simply not going to be as good as what we have now. There's a reason Apple is so well optimized, and it's the same reason phones should stay the way they are.

@minibois already nailed the other thing I was going to comment on. Pricing in the high end has absolutely not quadrupled, and frankly, for a 5 year period with the advances that they've had, I think a couple hundred dollars isn't that much of an ask. I'll add that the 6S Plus was as high as $949.

The most important thing to consider? They wouldn't keep raising their prices if the sales were falling drastically. So, clearly there's enough people that are willing to pay those prices, and find it worth it to them, that they'll keep doing it. There will be a cap, and I think it'll likely be around $1,500 for a flagship and maybe $2k for the experimental-new-tech phones.

If you're whole argument is based on the OnePlus X? The $250 phone? Well, the OnePlus Nord is $399. So. Again. Not a quadrupling. It's 1.6x as expensive.

You're off by a fair bit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I think we should just buy used phones, replace the battery if necessary and there we go: nearly perfect phones for the cheap.

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Um, no.. OnePlus' business model has changed. They went from "flagship specs for a budget price" to "yeah, we're basically one of the top dogs now". That has been the case since the 5th one I think.

Let's do a comparison with two other copanies:

2015:

Galaxy S6: 685 - 785 - 885 USD (32GB - 64GB - 128GB) https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S6-and-S6-edge-release-date-and-price-overview_id68003

iPhone 6: 649 - 749 - 849 USD (16GB - 64GB - 128GB). https://www.cnet.com/news/what-itll-cost-you-to-get-a-no-contract-apple-iphone-6/

2019:

Samsung Galaxy S20

iPhone 11: 699 - 749 - 849 USD (64GB - 128GB - 256GB) https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-11

Galaxy S20: 1000 USD (128GB) https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-s20-5g/

Prices have increased, but not quadrapled all over the market. Adjusted for inflation, they haven't changed too much either.

Of course they have increased more in one company than another, whose business model has changed.

Can you buy a decent phone today for $250 with high end specs? -  I don't think so.

Just now, dizmo said:

If you're whole argument is based on the OnePlus X? The $250 phone? Well, the OnePlus Nord is $399. So. Again. Not a quadrupling. It's 1.6x as expensive.

You're off by a fair bit.

Comparing a phone with high end specs (OnePlus X) with a mid-range specs one (OnePlus Nord) is not a good comparison.

The Snapdragon 800 series are high end,and the OnePlus Nord has a Snapdragon from the 700 series...

The smaller companies that make modular phones aren't going to pay for high end chipsets when they don't have millions of sales or the marketing that the more popular brands do.

I wouldn't mind a chunkier phone if I could remove the back cover and replace the battery or something like being able to upgrade the camera sensor, which I feel like plenty of people would do instead of throwing their phone away for one with a better camera.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

I wouldn't mind a chunkier phone if I could remove the back cover and replace the battery or something like being able to upgrade the camera sensor, which I feel like plenty of people would do instead of throwing their phone away for one with a better camera.

Smartphones nowdays are designed to be disposable,that's why manufacturers seal them shut with glue.

Just now, Vishera said:

Can you buy a decent phone today for $250 with high end specs? -  I don't think so.

The Moto G Power and the Alcatal TCL 10L come somewhat close to high end specs.

But great job ignoring the rest of my post for the sake of your argument.

Phones approached the 1000 USD in 2015 too, especially if you count for inflation and look at the high-end options from the brand (the Samsung Edge models, the iPhone Plus models, etc.)

OnePlus in 2015 was the exception, not the rule.

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'll add that the 6S Plus was as high as $949.

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB was 1015 USD in 2015, so together with the iPhone 6(S) Plus at  949 USD it isn't a new thing to see phones in that price range.

I think this thread is less of "Phone pricing has quadrupled in the last 5 years - let's talk about it!" and more of "OnePlus' business model changed and no one took over the 'high end specs for a low end price' thing".

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Smartphones nowdays are designed to be disposable,that's why manufacturers seal them shut with glue.

Or perhaps it's because screws aren't exactly useful for that task, especially when phones are gunning for being water-resistant as a feature?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:

So are you going to ignore the fact that phones now are far more advanced?

Let's take a look at the Nord vs the X, since they're spiritually related.

• Screen
    Nord: 6.44" 90hz
    X: 5" 60hz
  • RAM
    Nord: 12GB
    X: 3GB
  • Storage
    Nord: 256GB
    X: 16GB
  • Cameras
    Nord: 64MP F1.8, as well as additional
    X: 13MP F2.2

Nord: 32MP, as well as additional
    X: 8MP
  • Battery
    Nord: 4115mah
    X: 2525mah
  • On top of that, the Nord gains NFC, fast charging with included charger, significantly better storage and a fingerprint reader.

So you're telling me, that with all those additions, you expect the same price? They can certainly make a phone for $250. But not one that anyone would want.

OnePlus made phones for next for nothing when they first started. That was their whole plan. Gain a following with cheap phones, expand from there.

That was never meant to be sustainable. That's why you see price increases.

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Comparing a phone with high end specs (OnePlus X) with a mid-range specs one (OnePlus Nord) is not a good comparison.

The Snapdragon 800 series are high end,and the OnePlus Nord has a Snapdragon from the 700 series...

You do realize that the 801 was 2 years old when they put it in the OnePlus X right?

They could have done the same thing with the Nord, but it makes more sense to use the 765G, since it has both 5G support, and similar performance to a 2 year old processor.

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Yeah that wouldn't be for water resistance or anything...

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB was 1015 USD in 2015, so together with the iPhone 6(S) Plus at  949 USD it isn't a new thing to see phones in that price range.

I think this thread is less of "Phone pricing has quadrupled in the last 5 years - let's talk about it!" and more of "OnePlus' business model changed and no one took over the 'high end specs for a low end price' thing".

Good God, was it really? Makes sense. IIRC that was one of the first Edge phones, and that's insane storage for 5 years ago.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Yeah, and gluing in the battery is even worse, also dangerous to remove if the battery gets flexed.

The whole "but water resistance" isn't much of an argument either because the Samsung Galaxy S5 had a removable back cover and still had an IP rating.

And IMO water resistance is kinda overrated, adding in a few silicone seals is a few cents on build cost but companies still use it as a feature, and because people take water resistant as "water proof" and go swimming in the ocean with their $1000+ phone then wonder why it doesn't charge or completely dies.

Just now, minibois said:

OnePlus in 2015 was the exception, not the rule.

That's no exception,I bought a mid-range phone back than for $150 from LG.

Just now, minibois said:

Like you said:

1 minute ago, minibois said:

in 2015 was the exception, not the rule.

Flagships in 2015: LG G5,Sony Xperia Z3+,Samsung Galaxy Note 4,check their MSRP prices and see that i am right...

Just now, Vishera said:

Yeah, you can still buy a fairly decent mid-range Android phone in the $150-200 range. Motorola makes some damn good devices in that ballpark.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, handymanshandle said:

Yeah, you can still buy a fairly decent mid-range Android phone in the $150-200 range. Motorola makes some damn good devices in that ballpark.

With good quality display and good specs? - I don't think so...

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah, and gluing in the battery is even worse, also dangerous to remove if the battery gets flexed.

The whole "but water resistance" isn't much of an argument either because the Samsung Galaxy S5 had a removable back cover and still had an IP rating.

And IMO water resistance is kinda overrated, adding in a few silicone seals is a few cents on build cost but companies still use it as a feature, and because people take water resistant as "water proof" and go swimming in the ocean with their $1000+ phone then wonder why it doesn't charge or completely dies.

I'm pretty sure there aren't tons of people diving into the ocean with their phone.

The waterproof feature is nice, especially for places that get excessive amounts of rain.

It also costs around $15 to get a phone IP rated.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Like you said:

Flagships in 2015: LG G5,Sony Xperia Z3+,Samsung Galaxy Note 4,check their MSRP prices and see that i am right...

What phone?

Hate to break it to you, the Note 4 was from 2014. It also wasn't that much cheaper than the other phones that were mentioned as comparisons.

The Z3+? Was $750. So. Again. Not much less than what you can get one for today.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I picked up the...Z3 Play for a ridiculously discounted price on Black Friday.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler