1650 Super or Gtx 780?

Distorted_doggo

Ok so I just recently started building and selling computers and got a great deal on 3 gtx 780s for $60 each. The OG plan was just to use these in the next few computers I built BUT I tested them in my system and the preformance in the games I play isn't too far off of my new 1650 super that I bought a few months back for $160. Would it be a good idea to sell my 1650 super for around $140 (New ones go for $170 now and it is practically new with box) and use the gtx 780 until a new gpu generation comes out and I can pick up a deal on something like a used 1070 for maybe $200. Id get a fair amount of the money I spent on the GPU back AND the price of GPUs is going to go down dramatically because of new RDNA2 and Ampere GPUS coming on the market soon. Plus I still get to use the GTX 780 in a build down the line. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Distorted_doggo said:

Thoughts?

If the games you play work fine with the 780, then go for it. But bear in mind many games will be modest, so it largely depends on what you like to play

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

just make sure your PSU can handle it.

yeah I got an EVGA 500W and my r5 1600AF isnt overclocked, I think Ill be fine with that for a few months

12 minutes ago, Distorted_doggo said:

yeah I got an EVGA 500W and my r5 1600AF isnt overclocked, I think Ill be fine with that for a few months

If it's an EVGA N1 or W1, then no, I wouldn't do that. The 780 pulls around the same power as an RX 580 or maybe 590, which is really not exactly too low power. 

Also, is it a reference 780? The VRMs on those were quite poor and I wouldn't bank on them lasting for a whole lot longer after 7 years.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

If it's an EVGA N1 or W1, then no, I wouldn't do that. The 780 pulls around the same power as an RX 580 or maybe 590, which is really not exactly too low power. 

Also, is it a reference 780? The VRMs on those were quite poor and I wouldn't bank on them lasting for a whole lot longer after 7 years.

Its a 500BQ and theyre EVGA ACX FTW 780s, theyre pretty high quality and the guy I bought them from had them underclocked to stock speeds

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

ehhhh i dont know about that one

Ill probably underclock it, just to be safe

2 minutes ago, Distorted_doggo said:

Its a 500BQ and theyre EVGA ACX FTW 780s, theyre pretty high quality and the guy I bought them from had them underclocked to stock speeds

Oh, alright then.

I mean I still wouldn't run a 780 instead of a 1650 Super in this day and age, but if you feel like the money saved will be beneficial for you when the next-gen GPUs come out, then it's your call.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC